User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 10/21/2014 3:23:12 PM EDT
or when they're back in stock

I'm VERY pleased with this red dot so far. Build quality is phenomenal. There is virtually no emitter to be seen. I was a little nervous about the push button interface, but they work very well. Turning the dot off using both the + and - buttons then turning it back on returns it to your last used setting (if you ever even turn it off!) Glass is every bit as clear as my Aimpoint PRO. It gets about as bright as the PRO on setting 9.5 if there was one. Not quite as bright as setting 10 on the Aimpoint, but a little brighter than setting 9.

Very very pleased for the price. Their lower 1/3 mount seems to be great quality as well and it's light. The optic with battery and mount came to a total of 5.0 oz on my postal scale at work.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Sold out
Can you take a pic looking through the optic.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sold out
View Quote

Should be in for the end of the month, IIRC.

Through optic - camera picks up more tint than my eyes do - but the Aimpoint looks the same.

Focusing on the low profile emitter

On the dot

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Good to hear been looking for another pa rds to accompany my md 06l that has been discontinued.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
For comparison - here was the emitter on my older MD06. Camera made that tint look REALLY bad, but it really wasn't that green.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
or when they're back in stock
View Quote

You got my hopes up with the thread title.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#6]
In stock now!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#7]
^^ Soon
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
^^ Soon
View Quote

No... Now

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Advanced_Micro_Dot_with_Push_Buttons_p/md-ads.htm
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
What is the preferred mount for these. Lower 1/3 or absolute.  Do you need a mount riser or can you just mount directly. I have never used a red dot.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Do the PROs have a bad tint to them? My ml3 was much more clear than the older PA micro I had.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do the PROs have a bad tint to them? My ml3 was much more clear than the older PA micro I had.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Older PA Micros had noticeably more tint than this one. My PRO is clear - this MD-ADS is just as clear IMO. When photographed, both have a slight tint.

Quoted:
What is the preferred mount for these. Lower 1/3 or absolute.  Do you need a mount riser or can you just mount directly. I have never used a red dot.

A riser is preferred. Mounting it directly on the rail will work, but you'll have an extremely awkward cheek weld and if you have a fixed front sight it'll be in the way. Lower 1/3rd vs absolute is personal preference and both work great.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Have to tested the return to zero with that mount?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Have to tested the return to zero with that mount?  Just curious.
View Quote

Haven't even gotten the mount on the gun for the first time yet Just came in today. Been at work ever since.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Moar pics. It's going to live on my 12'' pistol that's soon to be suppressed.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:29:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the adm mount with mine, the same mount I have on my aimpoint. Got mine yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have the adm mount with mine, the same mount I have on my aimpoint. Got mine yesterday.
View Quote

That's the mount I wanted - but I figured I'd give this one a shot. So far I really like it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:59:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Shit, I didn't think they'd be back in stock so quick. I don't know which mount to get. I want a lower 1/3 QD, but which one?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:33:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I like American Defense.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like American Defense.
View Quote

X2
I have the same one for the lower 1/3 co-witness
the QD lever is very sturdy
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#20]
The much increased battery life as well as the increased durability of the MD-ADS has really gotten me interested in this model.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The much increased battery life as well as the increased durability of the MD-ADS has really gotten me interested in this model.
View Quote

So far I'm very happy. In the bright sun today glass had very little tint and the dot was easily visible at about settings 7-8
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:58:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm a fan, ordered the first day it was out

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:28:53 AM EDT
[#23]
ok so who is going to set one up 3 feet from an explosion to see if it's as durable as an aimpoint? any volunteers?

i'm torn between 2 of these and 1 magnifier, or 2 aimpoint PRO's or sitting with just 1 acog and iron sights on my AR pistol.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:23:25 AM EDT
[#24]
How does one get a good cheek weld with that thing mounted up so high?

Or is it not as 'skyscraper' as it appears in the pictures?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:28:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

It sits exactly the same height as an aimpoint. Either absolute cowitness or lower 1/3rd.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#26]

great little optic
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Really clear glass- as clear as my T1, much clearer than my H1 My H1 is way too blue for its price. Sharp 2MOA dot. PA really has a winner here.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Really clear glass- as clear as my T1, much clearer than my H1 My H1 is way too blue for its price. Sharp 2MOA dot. PA really has a winner here.
View Quote

It's been a while since I've used an H1/T1. Glad to hear someone back me up on it being as clear as an Aimpoint though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It sits exactly the same height as an aimpoint. Either absolute cowitness or lower 1/3rd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just not buyin' it...

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#30]
You don't have to buy it... I have it in front of me and can see it.

It either lines up with the iron sights or it doesn't . In this case it's a lower 1/3rd witness where your picture seems to be an absolute.

Aimpoint T1 in a DD lower 1/3rd mount.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Has anyone set one of these up on an A1 or A2 with a gooseneck mount?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, I got two coming in tomorrow.  I have never used a red dot so I am looking forward to trying them out.  I do have an eotech that i do like but wanted to try an aimpoint pro but figured I could step in with these from primary arms.  Hope I didn't fall for the hype but at least my buying experience with CS has already been great.  They were extremely helpful.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Just not buyin' it...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/eracer1111/2ndA/Noveske%20300%20BLK%20SBR/Noveske300BLK004_small.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3947/14975575374_da11524b14_b.jpg

When he said it is the same height as an Aimpoint he was referring to the T1/H1, not a Comp/PRO
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Umm, the full size Comp M4 has a larger tube and is way larger overall, so visually it will look like it sits lower (the bottom edge does due to increased tube dia.).  However, given a lower 1/3d to lower 1/3d mount on each, the optical center will be in the same place even if the micro "looks" like it sits higher.

Provided the MD-ADS proves reliable in the field, I think it will be the king of budget red dots as it finally breaks the long battery life threshold and is still under $200.  I'm very happy with the MD-06 I got on sale for $60 and put on a .22 build.  I still trust my life to Aimpoint on my HD gun, but I only need one of those.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:20:28 AM EDT
[#35]
The fact Cowitnessing and Lower 1/3 Cowitnessing always mean the same thing, no matter what optic. It can be said that despite what any picture looks like yes, its the same cheek weld.

Absolute Cowitness aimpoint, eotech, t1 h1, comp m4, primary arms bushell, rmr all mean that they are at the same height center of the optic wise.

It only looks that way due to the narrow base as theres no reason to have a girthy base for a sub 4 oz optic.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:54:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Its funny how this was a thread about a new optic that is touted to be "as tough" as any other micro red dot on the market, and a 50k battery life, and yet we're stuck talking about how people don't trust the company to make an optic the right height.
Hell, we're really not even talking about the optic anymore, just the mounting base, and the new PA optic in question actually fits on the same exact mounts as an Aimpoint if I'm not mistaken.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Its funny how this was a thread about a new optic that is touted to be "as tough" as any other micro red dot on the market, and a 50k battery life, and yet we're stuck talking about how people don't trust the company to make an optic the right height.
Hell, we're really not even talking about the optic anymore, just the mounting base, and the new PA optic in question actually fits on the same exact mounts as an Aimpoint if I'm not mistaken.
View Quote

PA are great for beginners and novice shooters, or for 22LR IMO, but NOT for duty or serious use. I say serious because its subjective for everyone.
Anyway, I call BS on the highlighted.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

PA are great for beginners and novice shooters, or for 22LR IMO, but NOT for duty or serious use. I say serious because its subjective for everyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol they're tough as shit. even the older micros. There's a torture test of a dude shooting it twice with birdshot and it was still running (even though he cracked the glass)
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

lol they're tough as shit. even the older micros. There's a torture test of a dude shooting it twice with birdshot and it was still running (even though he cracked the glass)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

where?
ETA here
http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/optics/57983-primary-arms-micro-torture-test.html
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Yep!

I forgot that it held zero after being shot twice
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Lol, I never saw the birdshot one before. I plan on using a MD-ADS on my next build.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, at least we're back to talking about the optic.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Marshall himself said these aren't as tough as an Aimpoint.

That being said, tough may be subjective. I'm reasonably sure that even if TEOTWAWKI or the zombie apocolypse or whatever happened, these PA micros, in any flavor, would hold up just fine IMHO. YMMV and my $0.02 and all that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#44]
The abuse military optics see isn't typically in a firefight which is rare.  It is getting knocked around in a HMMWV or MRAP day after day for multiple tours handled by GIs who just had it issued to them.  

An optic on a privately owned AR even if in the ghetto going through multiple HD gunfights won't ever see that kind of chronic abuse.  I still think it makes sense to go Aimpoint for extra piece of mind on a HD gun, but you only need one of those.  I bet these will prove more than rugged enough for civilian defensive use and I'd get one if I needed another RDS.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Mine came in today with the American Defense 1/3 QD mount.
The MD-ADS is slimmer than my MD-O6L, and the housing appears to be more rugged with the ridges on the sides of the housing. The battery life as listed, is the main selling point for me. Over 5 1/2 years when left on medium bright.
The American Defense mount is VERY sturdy. It appears as though it should return to zero, as there is very little play in the rail before closing the latch. After fighting with the PA QD mount, this was a much better experience. I never did get the PA mount to work, it loosens up after just a few shots, no matter how tight it feels at the bench. I don't think the AD mount will have that problem.
I'm going to try this combination on my 300 BLK SBR. I'll try to hit the range tomorrow to see how it works

]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Here's mine...

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#47]
I've been running a PSA Micro on my Barnett crossbow for the last two seasons.  Crossbows are very hard on optics due to the reverse recoil impulse.  So far it has survived about 500 shots and is still going fine and holding zero.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Mine came in yesterday, put it on tonight. Looks good, falls right to my eye.
Turned the brightness down some cause I have some astigmatism, and that reduced
it somewhat. Its all looking good, hope to run some rounds thru the gun this weekend.
Service from PA was of course quick and easy. What few instructions were needed
were clear and well laid out.
Plus, it was a gift from Mrs Scruff.
Life is good

scruff
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#49]
If the P.A micro is as rugged as the Holosun ( since they are made by the same people, I dont see why it wouldnt be) it will be a tuff little optic. I have one mounted on a 762x39 pistol and it has been bumped around plenty as it sits on a trunk gun. Being that it is turned on by movement there is a good chance that it has remained on at least 16 hours a day for the past 4 months... so far so good
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#50]
American Defense makes great mounts.  I have the AD-T1-10 which was purchased with a PA MD-06 Red Dot.  This gave me a lower 1/3 co-witness.  According to the PA website using the same mount with the MD-ADS Red Dot provides an absolute co-witness.  Bummer...So I'd either have to purchase a riser or get the AD-T1-11 mount.  Any suggestions ?  I prefer lower 1/3 co-witness to absolute.  Your comments are welcomed !
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top