User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:32:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Man where to start... So  many Navy SEALs and so little time. Guy at work is a navy SEAL. He's in the Marine Reserves. I think a cook. But he went through SEAL training in his two weeks mandatory this summer. He told me what turned the tide in WWII for the Russians was when they started issueing the AK 47 in 1943 . I asked him what did the 47 in AK47 mean? He said he didn't know , just something the engineers come up with. It takes all kinds. ... WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I run into these types all the time.
People who have never owned, fired or even seen these guns
most of the time try to tell me all about them.

I've had people try to tell me that the AR is a
total piece of shit, inaccurate, jamms all the time,
ect.  But when I ask how they know, it's always
someone they know, they heard, or read in a book,
saw on TV, ect.
They have NO real word knowledge or experience.

There is a guy who comes into the local fun store
that says he can take head shots at 1000 meters with a M1A M-21.
I for one would like to see that.  
He totally despises the M-16, saying that the one
he had in the ARMY totally sucked.
But he also told me he saw Mattel mfg. M-16s also,
so I tend to not believe him.

I generally try to ignore thee people, they know
it all and generally can not be taught anything
else other than what they believe or percieve
to be reality.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I can imagine the conversation looked something like this...

[img]http://www.animationusa.com/picts/wbpict/bugsboid.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uhm VA-gunnut, this Mcdonalds isn't near where we are having the VA shoot is it??? Remind me not get out of my car till I get to the range and to bring my tin foil hat!

C4
View Quote

Actually it was around Richmond, but in the supposedly well educated suburbs. It definitely couldn't of been around here, he knew that there was something other then a shotgun. [:D]
View Quote

Having lived in Richmond, I can assure evryone that "well educated Richmond suburbs" is an oxymoron.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can imagine the conversation looked something like this...

[url]http://www.animationusa.com/picts/wbpict/bugsboid.jpg[/url]

View Quote

You know... that pic would make a great aviator!
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a guy at the range waxing philosophic about the M-60-"It handles like...it shoots like...". He corrected me twice when folks asked me about it, so being an old belt fed god I asked him how many rounds he had fired through one. "Ten" he says. Ten thousand? No, ten. Just ten? Yup. I laughed and walked away. Shit, I've fired 300 round bursts before. What could I teach him?
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
But he also told me he saw Mattel mfg. M-16s also,
so I tend to not believe him.

Scott
View Quote

I had to look this up real quick, i saw a post a while ago about mattel lower recievers during war production.  he might, and i say might very carefully, have meant this[sniper2]

[url=]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=169547&w=searchPop[/url]

Ken
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I feel all warm and Fuzzy now that McDonalds sends their employees to Ranger school. Next they will be sending them to OCS and that way when he finally get's into the army he will be a 4-STAR General [(:)] of the fry station.

[LOL] [ROFL2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Having lived in Richmond, I can assure evryone that "well educated Richmond suburbs" is an oxymoron.
View Quote

Truer words are seldom spoken in this world.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#10]
What the hell are you guys joking about ? He save my life from DARTH VADER with only a LIGHTSABER !!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What the hell are you guys joking about ? He save my life from DARTH VADER with only a LIGHTSABER !!!
View Quote

Tooly, I think you were in shock at the time...I got the real story from Mr.Magoo....Darth used a Phased Plasma Rifle with a 40 watt range to save your hide from the nazis in Iraq.............LOL UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh by the way....
Did you want fries with that?
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So these guys are former "Rangers" now? First it was "Green Berets" then "Seals" and now they are "Rangers"?
View Quote

Well of course.

"First Blood," then "Navy Seals / Under Siege," then "Blackhawk Down."

Poor Rangers are stuck drawing the wannabee crowd for now, at least until the next big blockbuster movie diverts their attention.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Ya know!
If ya super size that, I'll tell ya about the time I flew the space shuttle to the moon and back. [:o)]
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#16]
A 'little' knowledge is dangerous......
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey, did I tell you guys that time that I took out a whole German armored division single handedly with an M-1 rifle and a few pineapple grenades, when I was attached to the 101st Airborne division in Bastogne, Belgium during the battle of the Bulge.

BTW that was the day after after General Mcaulife told the Germans 'aw nuts'.

That was before I became a seal and led the counterattack that defeated the NVA in the Idrang valley in '67, after my M-16 jammed and I picked up an AK off an enemy soldier.

Damn it's hot over here in Iraq fighting the remnants of the Fedeyeen. However, the Silver Star I won Afghanistan makes it all worth it.

Sometime I'll tell you about my exploits in WW1, the Spanish American war(fighting beside Teddy himself), and my time on General Lee's staff at the battle of Gettysburg.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Some more experts at work:

Watched "Police Guns" on Modern Marvels History Channel:

MA Police describe Thompson SMG as 48 ACP.

Refer to K in HK as "Cock".

Of course the usual errors - clips vs. Magazines, 9mm as "High Power", and confusion over difference between .38 and .357.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Of course the usual errors - clips vs. Magazines, 9mm as "High Power",
View Quote

Unless they were talking about the Brwoning Hi-Power pistol - it was made in 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Everyone knows the M16 is one better than the AR15 and two better than the M14
View Quote

[LOL][ROFL2]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I thought Koch was pronounced "cock"
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Heckler and Coke
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Dude, if I had a buck for every stupid story I heard from someone that was an "expert" about weapons, but they were talking out their butts...

I have a co-worker who was SF, according to him.  I asked him about the front sight on a M16/AR15 and he was TOTALLY wrong.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't any SF guy know how to battle zero our # 1 issue weapon???

Then there's the guy who talks about his Glock, and how he takes the safety off before he shoots it...  I told him, "dude, Glocks don't have safeties."  He told me his does....
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess that guy in the ARMY of one commercial was running to the local Mickey D's.

Well boys, sounds like we got us another perfect candidate for Phony Vets dot com.

HOO US??

Semper-Fi Do or Die, DD out!!  [sniper]
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Then there's the guy who talks about his Glock, and how he takes the safety off before he shoots it...  I told him, "dude, Glock's don't have safeties."  He told me his does....
View Quote

Well a factory Glock has a safe-action, now their are people that put a safety on them but it looks like Crap.
Really no firearm has a safety the only safety is the owner of the firearm.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Unless they were talking about the Brwoning Hi-Power pistol - it was made in 9mm.
View Quote

I meant describing the 9mm round as a round with a lot of knockdown potential ("Lots-of-Power").
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then there's the guy who talks about his Glock, and how he takes the safety off before he shoots it...  I told him, "dude, Glock's don't have safeties."  He told me his does....
View Quote

Well a factory Glock has a safe-action, now their are people that put a safety on them but it looks like Crap.
Really no firearm has a safety the only safety is the owner of the firearm.
View Quote

Maybe he's some double-naught spy/secret squirrell & it's actually a Glock 18.........
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#28]
The next time you see him, ask him how many times has he done a PFL.  The Correct answer should be Never.  That means Pretty Funny Landing.  They can hurt.
He should correct you to say PLF, or Parachute Landing Fall.
If he doesn’t correct you, you’ve got fraud on your hands.

Things like this make me Very glad I partake the food generated by Burger King.

By the way, a few months ago when I ate at a Burger King, I noticed a Customer wearing the shirt of a Rival Fast Food establishment.
I’ll give everybody just One Guess whose logo was on the shirt.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

I meant describing the 9mm round as a round with a lot of knockdown potential ("Lots-of-Power").
View Quote

I hate it when people talk about knockdown power, or stopping power. Almost as much as people using clips in place of mags.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:I hate it when people talk about knockdown power, or stopping power. Almost as much as people using clips in place of mags.
View Quote

Why? that is the most basic principle of a defensive load - a lesson the FBI learned the hard way.

A stopped guy NOW is better than a dead guy in 5 minutes.

Of course, I am kind of old school and believe that most people who dwell too much on the subject probably lack the skills to properly place their shots anyway - so maybe that is what you were getting at.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Bio the area around the Mattel stamp on the M16 is done in photo shop.You can clearly see the differences in the finish.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#32]
these people who think they know it all are always and embarrassment to those of who do...
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ya know!
If ya super size that, I'll tell ya about the time I flew the space shuttle to the moon and back. [:o)]
View Quote

Man, that's cool.  But landing an F16 on a carrier during a typhoon is a touch tougher!  I was the only guy get promoted to Lt Major (O3.5) in the Navy.

I don't fly anymore, I work intel (can't say what) seeing as how I got busted down to Private LT(jg) for stealing the keys from a C103 to get beer for the boys on the ship.

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
While working a McDs in college I had a co-worker tell me the M-14 was 14 lbs, so the M-16 was 16lbs and the M-60 was 60lbs. I attempted to correct him by explaining I had once had to carry an M-60 for a FTX and on one occasion I had carried one in each hand (by the carry handle, I wasn't rambo) to set them up for training. He insisted they were 60lbs each.

View Quote

I feel bad for the guys carrying the M240's

The Cheat
View Quote

no wonder why everybody wants a M4.  
Me, I want a M1C.  The C stands for a camo pattern that blends to every surrounding.  It comes with a key fob to flash a light to find it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#35]
McRanger needs to live by this quote:

"Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."
                                              ---Abraham Lincoln

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Heckler and Coke
View Quote

There is no way in English to spell the proper pronunciation of Koch.
The vowel is between a hard/soft "o", almost an "aw" but closer to hard "o".
The "ch" is a back-mouth high-palate guttural.
Not quite an arabic glottal, but lower than an Hebrew "ch".

Got it?

[edited 'cause I remembered the right word]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heckler and Coke
View Quote

Got it?

View Quote

I was wondering if maybe linguistically there was some distinction between "Israelite" and "Hebrew." [:)]

All those fancy words - too bad you couldn't squeeze "aspirated" in there as well. [;)]

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heckler and Coke
View Quote

Got it?

View Quote

I was wondering if maybe linguistically there was some distinction between "Israelite" and "Hebrew." [:)]

All those fancy words - too bad you couldn't squeeze "aspirated" in there as well. [;)]

View Quote

Dude, I *really* wanted to use "bi-labial or labio-dental fricative", but couldn't work it in.  Sounds dirty, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Reminds me of this guy that wouldn't stop talking at me at the fun store a few weeks ago. He told me all about making shots with his .357 revolver from 200 yards. Then he told me about his select fire M21 sniper rifle that he could hit bullseyes with from a mile away. I think he was still talking when I walked away. It didn't seem to matter to him that noone was listening.
View Quote

If it was a .44 and Elmer Keith was pulling the trigger, I wouldn't feel safe until i was +400 yards away.   Don't discount what people can do with revolver at long distance.

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reminds me of this guy that wouldn't stop talking at me at the fun store a few weeks ago. He told me all about making shots with his .357 revolver from 200 yards. Then he told me about his select fire M21 sniper rifle that he could hit bullseyes with from a mile away. I think he was still talking when I walked away. It didn't seem to matter to him that noone was listening.
View Quote

If it was a .44 and Elmer Keith was pulling the trigger, I would
I'm betting this gent was no Elmer Kiethn't feel safe until i was +400 yards away.   Don't discount what people can do with revolver at long distance.

View Quote

I betting this gent was no Elmer Keith. Probaly doesn't even know who Elmer Keith is.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#41]
A time like that I always remember what my dad always told me.

"Most of the time it's better to agree with an idiot than argue with one."
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#42]
It's certainly faster and more amusing to just listen and nod.

Larry
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Personally, I make it a rule never to argue with a mental.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#44]
[:\]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Personally, I make it a rule never to argue with a mental.
View Quote

Good plan, you never know when we m..
I meant they might snap.

We have a woman at work on the previous shift tha I am *sure* is gonna snap some day; I am positioning myself as the "only one who really understands".
I want to be the one she sends out with the message!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top