Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I see that Colt.  One for the driver, one for the passenger.  Not alot of nonsense and no spray and pray, that's for sure.  Great pics bro.

The passenger lived.  The driver didn't.  

Just a background on the story.  We had gotten ambushed with IEDs, RPGs, mortars, and small arms.  It lasted about 20 minutes.  One of my squad leaders called me and told me that there was a vehicle driving toward them.  I told them to try to wave it down and if that didn't work then shoot into the engine compartment and then if that failed then shoot the passenger compartment.  Everyone over there is terrified of Vehicle borne IEDS (VBIDs) because you can pack a huge amount of explosive into a vehicle.  Well the yelled at the vehicle in Arabic and waved for it to stop.  It didn't.  So they shot it up.  It turned out to just be some dumbass that saw us parked there, had to have heard all the gunfire and explosions, and still decided to drive toward us.  No explosives were found.  He was just an idiot.  We were investigated over the incident.  It was found to be justified.  

I haven't lost any sleep over it.  Muslims are idiots.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I understand they insurgents use alot of white land cruisers.  A white landcruiser is what took out those three ERM security contractors with a PKM belt fed GPMG fired out the passenger window.  AP 7.62 even took out their armored BMW.  Return fire against the landcruiser was ineffective according the the AAR.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I shot a 250 PIG with a 22lr it died on the spot.
Shot placement is a major key

Best way to kill a pig is to draw an imaginary X between their eyes and ears and shoot them with a .22 LR where the lines intersect.  They are not dead at this point, just stunned, which is what you want, because the heart needs to be beating for the next step.  After they are shot, holding a long, sharp knife in your right hand, place your left knee on the neck in front of the shoulder, and lift the top leg with your left hand.  Locate the top of the breast bone, and insert the knife, sharp side toward the head, following the inside of the breast bone until the point hits the neck bone.  At that point, using the breast bone as a fulcrum, rock the handle rearward.  This will sever all the major arteries in the neck, and the pig will bleed out quickly.  You will know if you have done it correctly if blood gushes from the wound after you rock the blade.

If you want to know what a 5.56mm round does in human flesh, study the research done by Martin Fackler, MD.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:03:03 AM EDT
[#4]
more,more
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tiny intellect you have there Dagina, thanks for sharing.  I'm sure you have slain thousands with your M4 at 300+ meters with all kinds of rails, lasers, etc.   There, feel better about yourself now little fella?  .

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well yeah, a .22 magnum would have done the same  thing.  Point is what has been hacked out here too many times;  people wearing gear, running, behind cars, debris, vegetation, trees, brush, shooting back, at long distance, with a crosswind, etc. ideally require something more than 5.56.  It's a decent round and excellent in a combined arms / FA mode.  I have two more ARs than I do M14 clones.  The SS109 and M855 invariably have punched icepick holes through the game (wild hogs, boar, javelina) I've shot.  Uninspiring and requires perfect shot placement.  Nonvital shots and they are gone.  .308, even in FMJ with thin jackets, is much much more effective in my experience.  I won't take a shot at 300 yds with a crosswind with 5.56.  I will with a 7.62.

Until you've actually shot SOMEONE with 5.56, STFU!

Bro, watch it. On the internet you have NO idea who you are talking to. For all we know that dajini feller is a genuine snake eater who has killed a lot of people. In fact, from his tone and speech I suspect he has killed someone with 5.56mm.

BTW, my hobby is studying terminal ballistics. People who shoot people for their paychecks tell me that 5.56 does pretty good, and that 7.62 isnt enough of an improvement to warrant the size and weight.

No, I have not killed anyone with 5.56.

But I am not inserting my opinion on why I think the round is better because "of ballistics gel tests" or why it's bad because "my friend's cousins friend's boyfriend's has a friend in the 101st airborne and he said it is t3h suxor." I keep my mouth shut about my opinion about it until I, first hand, see what it will do Hajis.

Oh and no need to get your panties in such a bunch over me saying STFU. This is Arfcom, I think we're known for flaming. Hell it would be boring without it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
We are offering opinions and experiences.  I thought that is what forums are for.  I'm quite sure that some of the commandos on forums claiming to have shot people with 5.56 haven't.  Hell, if you limited comments on stopping power to only those that have shot humans, and comments on shooting only to those people who fire more than 2000 rounds a year you'd have about 10 people commenting on the former and about 1/5 or less the latter.   I offer opinions based upon reliable experiences related by trustworthy and knowledgeable people.  I almost fell out of my chair laughing at Combat Jack's "warning".  Hilarious.
BTW- the most constructive info is from Colt.....backed with pics.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tiny intellect you have there Dagina, thanks for sharing.  I'm sure you have slain thousands with your M4 at 300+ meters with all kinds of rails, lasers, etc.   There, feel better about yourself now little fella?  .

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well yeah, a .22 magnum would have done the same  thing.  Point is what has been hacked out here too many times;  people wearing gear, running, behind cars, debris, vegetation, trees, brush, shooting back, at long distance, with a crosswind, etc. ideally require something more than 5.56.  It's a decent round and excellent in a combined arms / FA mode.  I have two more ARs than I do M14 clones.  The SS109 and M855 invariably have punched icepick holes through the game (wild hogs, boar, javelina) I've shot.  Uninspiring and requires perfect shot placement.  Nonvital shots and they are gone.  .308, even in FMJ with thin jackets, is much much more effective in my experience.  I won't take a shot at 300 yds with a crosswind with 5.56.  I will with a 7.62.

Bro, watch it. On the internet you have NO idea who you are talking to. For all we know that dajini feller is a genuine snake eater who has killed a lot of people. In fact, from his tone and speech I suspect he has killed someone with 5.56mm.

BTW, my hobby is studying terminal ballistics. People who shoot people for their paychecks tell me that 5.56 does pretty good, and that 7.62 isnt enough of an improvement to warrant the size and weight.

No, I have not killed anyone with 5.56.

But I am not inserting my opinion on why I think the round is better because "of ballistics gel tests" or why it's bad because "my friend's cousins friend's boyfriend's has a friend in the 101st airborne and he said it is t3h suxor." I keep my mouth shut about my opinion about it until I, first hand, see what it will do Hajis.

Oh and no need to get your panties in such a bunch over me saying STFU. This is Arfcom, I think we're known for flaming. Hell it would be boring without it.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll post this pic but if asked to remove it....I will.  The rounds that shot this guy were M855 through a rear window of a small truck.  Range was around 150 yards(I'm estimating that range by the way).

MODS:  If you want this deleted IM me and I'll delete it immediately.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm... Looks pretty effective to me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Kind of what is to be expected from any centerfire rifle round entering the dome with any speed and bullet mass left.  Not to be argumentative, but I think a 7.62 might have done worse, not that any worse is necessary, which is the whole reason for the 5.56, which cartridge I like.  Thanks Colt.

Edit: Relatively speaking, I saw a special about the JFK assasination.  He got hit with a WW2 Italian 6.5 mm Carcano round in around the same spot and the hole was big enough to put a fist through, and I think half of his brain was missing as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, shot placement, shot placement, and just in case you did not hear it shot placement.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:00:01 AM EDT
[#11]
One thing I have noticed with military members is that most of the people complaining about lack of 5.56 terminal ballistics is that many of them don't have real experience shooting 5.56 at the enemy.  Another reason that service members bad mouth the 5.56 is that many times they simply miss or hit a not vital location.  They immediately blame the ammo.
For example:  One of my guys had a Super Sniper scope on his M16A4.  He made a shot at a guy who was about 400 meters away.  The guy went down, then got back up and ran off.  He was complaining about the 5.56 as not being effective enough.  I asked him if he had looked at the person he shot up close.  He told me that he didn't look at the person up close because the person had run off.  I told him that there was no way of knowing if he even hit the person and if he did, the most effective round in the world won't do anything if you don't hit anything important(ie. you might have grazed him).  He agreed with that.  

A few of my guys that went over there with me expressed doubt in the 5.56 prior to getting there.  After we'd been there awhile, everyone who had expressed doubt said that they were impressed with the 5.56 and had no problem carrying it.  

Folks, firepower wins firefights.  The person or group who can lay down a strong base of accurate fire is likely to win.  If the troops were all carrying .308s(7.26) they would not have the firepower necessary to win.  You go through ammo very quickly in firefights and carrying the amount of 7.62 ammo needed to win a lengthy firefight would be prohibitively heavy.  Those of us who carried M16s carried at least 8 lbs of just rifle ammo.  If you took the same amount of a heavier caliber that same 8 lbs would be well over 25 lbs.  Doesn't seem like a lot until you consider the load that the troops are carrying.  My personal combat load there was the following:  Rifle, Helmet, body armor (w/SAPI plates), LBV w/GPS, 8 mags, 1 frag grenade, 1 smoke grenade,  one pyro pop up, first aid kit, 100 oz Camelbak, and a few other small misc. items.  The total weight came to about 65lbs.  My SAW gunners and my M203 gunners carried a lot more....probably near 90 lbs.  So adding another 15-20 lbs in ammo would be a big deal.

There are always going to be stories about that one person who took many rounds of 5.56 and continued to fight.  Those stories are rare.  Most of the people getting shot over there are going down without a problem.  

Don't let the stories of the large number of rounds fired per person killed surprise you.  Current military doctrine involves using suppressive fire and suppressive fire uses ammo at a massive rate.  Suppressive fire saves the lives of our troops.  The 5.56 is a great suppressive fire weapon.  7.62 is great as well in its role.  But our troops need to be carrying 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:44:57 AM EDT
[#12]
you got to match your rounds with the desired effect...only reason we use FMJ in military is because long ago someone decided it was more humane than hollow points and we agreed to the ruling and subsequent enforcement of the act...

I have seen the difference between a 55gr FMJ and a 77gr hollowpoint out of an M-4.  Neat hole in and out at close range for first.  Explosive results in tissue with second at 75 yds.

I would never choose FMJ to hunt anything with four legs or two unless forced as I was when on active duty....find a accurate, expanding round and go after that hog and you will see two different results.  FMJ needs to stay on the range in my opinion...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude...you need to chill.  never amazes me that the internet produces so many hard, cold blooded killers that are experts in every weapon and its terminal performance...LMAO
Never heard more than a couple guys that have been in a firefight and killed someone up close talk shit or brag....yeah when we are back at camp and talking through the events of the day...relaxing...cleaning weapons....that is different as talking helps you cope with it.  But the most arrogant, loud mouthed S.O.B.s are usually the ones with the least actual experience that have the most to prove.

Best to remain silent and appear stupid than open your fucking trap and let everyone here know you are for sure!!!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top