User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Tens of thousands of U.S. Soldiers

I know, but my point in this thread is to hear about civilians in typical US life, not cops and military.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I keep mine behind an arbitrary bedroom door, with one loaded mag nearby for quick access.

+1 with extra mags in the nightstand
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a permit to carry.I do everyday.I beleive in avoidance first,but since my Berreta has no safety and is dual action you can bet if i draw it ,it will go off in the event of no escape from harm.My family's safety is a priority. I'll ride the legal circumstances later knowing all is safe. Shotguns make good home self defence arms. Handguns make goodself defense arms . AR15's with a wella tuned shooter can do as well. An AR 15 would definetely instill fear to an intruder as well as do functionally well in the event of self defense.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#4]
    No AR's in the bedroom but I have a Mossy 590 in the closet and this in the drawer. We have small children so I feel I have to go overboard with safety....

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#5]
tagged for later
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes. A little over a year ago, my cousin and I were walking around his farm looking for something to shoot. We rounded a corner and a poacher fired 4 shots at us from a Remington 7400. I fired 13 shots in his direction and sought cover behind a large tree. He saw fit to give up soon afterwards, and was arrested by the local Sheriffs Department.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yes. A little over a year ago, my cousin and I were walking around his farm looking for something to shoot. We rounded a corner and a poacher fired 4 shots at us from a Remington 7400. I fired 13 shots in his direction and sought cover behind a large tree. He saw fit to give up soon afterwards, and was arrested by the local Sheriffs Department.

Oh man ... if anyone ever take a shot at me, I'd be PISSED.  Thank god you are ok.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh man ... if anyone ever take a shot at me, I'd be PISSED.  Thank god you are ok.

No shit. I hope you at least nicked him...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Seriously. Did he think you were a deer or something? I'm surprised you didn't hit the sucker.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not even close. I was recently back from Iraq, and a bit on edge anyway. I didn't even see where the shots came from. I just started firing back in his direction. I must have been close though. When we got to him he was screaming and had pissed on himself. After he calmed down he told us that he thought those 4 shots would scare us off giving him time to get away. I doubt he'll try it again after he gets out of prison.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I crushed a cocroach with my A2 stock..................................................................................................

What it was a big cocroach? Doesn't that count?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I had an old school bus on the back part of my property and the local kids USED TO use it as a place to smoke dope, get their young freak on, ect.  (My house had been vacant for over a year before we bought it and the bus was a well known redneck shag shack)
Not long after we moved in, our german shepherd was going NUTS at something in the yard.  I grabbed the AR, locked/loaded, let the dog loose and went 'investigating'.  Found 3 bums in the process of shooting up.  I don't know if they were more scared of me and my evil black rifle, or the 125 lb dog at my side that wanted to eat them.  There was absolutely no misconception about what would happen if I ever saw them again.  Bus was bulldozed and removed from the property immediately after this incident.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you keep the AR safety ON, even a slam fire wouldn't go off, right?

Actually... the safety won't protect you. If you look at the mechanism, the firing pin is floating. Some folks have been injured by rounds going off from jolts.

If anything, the mechanism encourages it, because the pin is first pushed rearwards as the carrier accelerates forward, then it continues forward as the bolt goes in battery.

I don't keep rounds chambered in the AR. The racking sound sounds like a shotgun at any rate, and is a reasonably good deterrant.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#14]
H&K  USPC 40 once, Mossberg 500 once when I lived in  JAX Florida didnt have to shoot either time.   I live in a much more rural area now and the New AR is ready as well several four legged security systems.   Not attempting to hijack this at all but are there any Home defense Threads floating around. I am trying to get my wife to take that stuff seriously( She has "Bad things only happen to other people" syndrome)
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#15]
If you aren't comfortable keeping a loaded AR in the house, I expect the next best option is "Bolt Open - Mag next to gun"  Because how many times have you inserted a mag with the bolt closed, only to not seat the mag all the way?  that would be bad.

BTW, that's how mine are stored.
Mags are on top of very tall shelf (6 feet), with AR.  
The bolt is closed in this pic.  It's normal position is open.
click for pic - it was too large to post
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Back in 96 when they tried to get the AW ban repealed there was a woman who testified before Congress that she used her AR-15 to protect herself one night when an intruder broke in.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#17]
couple fase alarms
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Used my mini-14 (did not have a black rifle).

Neighbor called to say some dirtbag was trying to break into the bedroom window of my apartment.  I went out the back door, stepped out of the shadows as I racked a shell into the chamber.  Dirtbag left.

Turns out he was 3 days out of prison for rape and aggravated assualt.  B&E was his specialty, any women he encountered were considered a bonus to this scum.  

He got to go back to the big house.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Haven't used the AR yet, but did "show" my Glock to a couple of guys in New Orleans (a block off Canal Street in a dark lot) that suggested "I go ahead and give them my money" instead of paying for the parking spot. Their bicycles weren't quick enough for 'em, they pushed them down the road.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I've only owned my AR for about two months, so no.  The closest I've come was a long time ago.  I was home alone at night and I heard someone trying to get in through the back door.  For some reason, I can't remember everything as clearly as I should.  I think I grabbed the Glock from the night stand, but it could have been the .38 snub.  Either way, I ran downstairs, clearing the rooms as I went.  I've never had such an adrenaline rush in my life.

I was about 12 years old at the time and it was the Glock my father used to carry on under cover police assignments.  It scares the shit out of me, looking back, seeing how young I was to be doing such a thing, but I also am greatful that my father taught me at a young age how to safely handle these weapons.

Almost 10 years later and I still have never told anyone about that night.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#21]
First off I would like to say this:  If I think unknown person has just invaded my house all bets are off and all laws cease to exist.  Laws are for the living...not the victoms.  If I am still standing when all is said and done then I'll face the music.  My wife and child come before me in this kind of situation.  Sadly enough it seems like the damned crooks have the edge over innocent folks these days anyway.  If more crooks came to an early and abrupt halt in this manner we wouldn't have so damned many--think about it.  I have never engaged my AR-15 against a foe in self defense but I did have an engagement with some gangbangers one night back in 93 at the Old Town Dock below the Hilltop region in Tacoma WA.  I had a 1911-A1 stuffed into my Goretex jacket that night.  It was about 38 degrees outside and misting rain...typical winter weather there.  I had 2 crab baskets out and one fishing pole.  2 guys came onto the pier and talked amongst themselves.  I noticed they were watching me.  They had no fishing gear and were dressed in typical gang attire of the day back then.  Long black jackets and both were wearing BK shoes.  They were probably Crips.  However you spell that.  I moved away from them 4 or 5 times and they would whisper back and forth and position themselves back behind me...never speaking out loud.  They eventually hemmed me into the corner of the pier and out of sheer fear I pulled open the velcro enclosure and gripped my 1911.  It made a load click in the night when I switched the saftey to fire.  I didn't pull it out.  I don't know if I would have had time.  I turned myself toward them in a way where I could have fired it through my jacket.  Damn I was scared...those bastards scared me.  I don't know what would have happened.  I don't know if the 230 gn fmj bullets would have went through my goretex and save my life or if the thing would have just fire one time and jammed.  I always carried that thing cocked and locked safety on.  I don't know what was going on in thier minds when this all went down but they looked me in the face, spun around and dissappeared into the mist without ever saying a word.  I can't say if they knew what I had or not.  But I do know this, I feel that my pistol and my actions saved the lives of 3 people that night.  It saved my life and ultimately it saved their life in their decision to walk away.  If nothing else it allowed them another brief moment in life to change their ways from crime and become something better.  I hope they did.  I am still here.  I don't carry a 1911 any more but I do carry a GLOCK 22.  I don't carry knives, sticks, brass knucks, sprays, or any of that other shit.  I carry a gun.  Believe it.  Guns do save lives.  

So what does this have to do with an AR-15?  I defend myself with a pistol.  I defend my family and property with whatever else is handy...AR-15 is normally not so far away Wes
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#22]
we've been lucky. we havnt had any intruders yet. there was quite a few in this neighborhood a little while back. but our neighbor was the chief of police for a while anyway . plus theres cop cars always roaming around our neighborhood, and its a quiet little neighborhood filled mostly with ranch type houses, and theres a rich neighborhood next to us, no cops, go figure.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#23]
UT also has a "Make My Day" law:

The person using force or deadly force in defense of habitation is presumed for the purpose of both civil and criminal cases to have acted reasonably and had a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or serious bodily injury if the entry or attempted entry is unlawful and is made or attempted by use of force, or in a violent and tumultuous manner, or surreptitiously or by stealth, or for the purpose of committing a felony.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Did not have to use it on a person, but a few weeks back the house alarm went off close to mid-night. Mrs. Wedge had been in the baby's room when it happened. I jumped out of bed while she came running into our bedroom with the baby. I had my G17 on the shelf next to where my AR was. I grabbed the AR without thinking about it and cleared the house. Did not find anything (false alarm I guess), but when I got back Mrs. Wedge had the bedroom door locked and when she let me back in she had her .357 in her hand.

Legally speaking, you would be a dead man.  Let's say you came across someone and killed him.  A) you went out of a room you could have locked.  The alarm went off and you had plenty of time to lock the door with you, the Mrs, and the baby, but you chose  B) you left the room holding an AR (jury reads Semi Automatic Machine Gun) looking for something to shoot at.

My advice to you would next time prioritize your assets.  Top on that list would be Mrs. Wedge and the baby.  Stay in the room with her and lock the door next time until the police come.

Not in Arizona, or any other state where peoples' right to live freely and safely in their own homes is respected.

Sounds like you live in a slave state.  Change the law or get out of there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#25]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I also plan on my story being the only one that can be told at my trial.

+1
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#27]
No zombie stories?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I remember seeing a news report a couple of years ago about an old lady living by herself.  She was robbed two days in a row in the middle of the day in her home.  This guy just walked into her house and took whatever he wanted.  After the second home invasion, the lady spoke to her neighbor, a 30 something gun owner.  The next day (day 3) when mr home invader entered the house, next door neighbor is sitting on old lady's couch with an AR-15 across his lap.  He stands up levels the weapon at the crook and holds him till police arrive.  What sticks in my mind was his comment to the interviewer..."There was no question of who was in control of that situation."

So, who went to jail?  The perp or the old ladie's neighbor? Or both? "Thanks for holding this guy sir, but that was illegal brandishing.  Assume the position"

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#29]
My father, about 25 years ago, lived in Alaska.  His dirtbag neighbor was starting shit with him, so he sat on our front porch with his 1911 "cocked and locked".  THe fat fuck came over, most likely shat himself, and ran home to be met by the police we had called.  Not an AR, but very effective.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
No zombie stories?

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#31]
The problem is that anytime a weapon is presented but not fired, it's brandishing.

No.  

If you are the aggressor, yes that is brandishing.  A drunk waving a pistol around in public threatening to shoot people is "brandishing".

If you are the defendor, no, it is not brandishing, it is a defensive use of a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not even close. I was recently back from Iraq, and a bit on edge anyway. I didn't even see where the shots came from. I just started firing back in his direction. I must have been close though. When we got to him he was screaming and had pissed on himself. After he calmed down he told us that he thought those 4 shots would scare us off giving him time to get away. I doubt he'll try it again after he gets out of prison.

Lol, sounds like he tried to "scare" the wrong person!  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
No zombie stories?

I was counseling at a summer camp a couple years back.  The camp kept a typically pretty conservative population of the kid's parents, so the administration held no reservations to allow the .22 range open for the youngsters.  You know, gun safety and appreciation and all of that.  So, of couse I brought and kept my AR packed up in the closet of my single bedroom cabin during the duration of my stay.  You never know what can pop up out of the woods in that thick Alabama pine.

Sure enough, the undead from an old cemetary on the grounds showed up one night, trying to eat the kids, moaning and waking everyone up and all.  So, I grabbed old faithful from the closet and ran through that camp Rambo syle slinging SS109 into their zombie skulls until they'd all dissipated into dust or taken off retreating into the woods.

Sometimes I really miss that place...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't know about the rest of you all, but here in GA someone can enter your home (if the door is unlocked) and walk out with your TV while you are sitting on your couch watching it, and you are not allowed to shoot.

An AR will penetrate interior walls and keep flying straight, most homes have no insulation in interior walls and insulation doesn't do a thing to a round travelling at 3000fps. I shot a 55gr milspec round through an interior wall into a large stack of office paper. The bullet penetrated 8" into 8.5 x 11 stacked and weighted paper. That's like drilling 8" into a log of wood or better. Most of my family is not as hard as a log of wood.

Also, I can't imagine the legal problems I'd face if I had to rock and roll on an intruder with an AR, even in the county that put Newt in office. Unless one had a lot of coke and cash in the house, I wouldn't do it.

I keep a standard-cap 9mm with 17+1 rounds of GDHP and 3 backup mags handy at night.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Don't know about the rest of you all, but here in GA someone can enter your home (if the door is unlocked) and walk out with your TV while you are sitting on your couch watching it, and you are not allowed to shoot.

An AR will penetrate interior walls and keep flying straight, most homes have no insulation in interior walls and insulation doesn't do a thing to a round travelling at 3000fps. I shot a 55gr milspec round through an interior wall into a large stack of office paper. The bullet penetrated 8" into 8.5 x 11 stacked and weighted paper. That's like drilling 8" into a log of wood or better. Most of my family is not as hard as a log of wood.

Also, I can't imagine the legal problems I'd face if I had to rock and roll on an intruder with an AR, even in the county that put Newt in office. Unless one had a lot of coke and cash in the house, I wouldn't do it.

I keep a standard-cap 9mm with 17+1 rounds of GDHP and 3 backup mags handy at night.

Aim low, shoot where there's meat.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I was also told in my CHL class that you should never brandish or fire warning shots. I have discused this with my family though, and I would much rath go to trial for brandishing than for murder! If there is enough distance that the badguy can't jump me and get my gun I will brandish or fire a warning shot. And yes I have fired warning shots before, with my C.A.R.-15. I had been involved in litagation with this guy and his friend was driveing by my house like every day! He would even stop in front of my driveway and just sit there idaling his engine. My family was scared. Keep in mind I live at the end of the road, there was no other reason for him to be there other than to intimidate me! One time he was driveing by as my parents were getting ready to make a left turn in to my driveway, he stoped in front of the DW and blocked it and just stared them down then sped away. So one day I had had enough, he drove by going towards the end of the road, I knew how long it usually took him to turn around, so when he came cruising back by (like 5-10mph.) I was waiting in my driveway with the CAR-15 with 30rd mag, I shot up in the air a few times and he flored it and got out of there ASAP. When I went back inside and reloaded I realized that I had fired 25rds!! He never came by my house again, thats good enough for me. I figured one day he would have got brave and killed us or something. Since I was on my own property, I figured if the cops came I could say, "OH, he must have seen me target shooting at that tree".
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I was also told in my CHL class that you should never brandish or fire warning shots. I have discused this with my family though, and I would much rath go to trial for brandishing than for murder! If there is enough distance that the badguy can't jump me and get my gun I will brandish or fire a warning shot. And yes I have fired warning shots before, with my C.A.R.-15. I had been involved in litagation with this guy and his friend was driveing by my house like every day! He would even stop in front of my driveway and just sit there idaling his engine. My family was scared. Keep in mind I live at the end of the road, there was no other reason for him to be there other than to intimidate me! One time he was driveing by as my parents were getting ready to make a left turn in to my driveway, he stoped in front of the DW and blocked it and just stared them down then sped away. So one day I had had enough, he drove by going towards the end of the road, I knew how long it usually took him to turn around, so when he came cruising back by (like 5-10mph.) I was waiting in my driveway with the CAR-15 with 30rd mag, I shot up in the air a few times and he flored it and got out of there ASAP. When I went back inside and reloaded I realized that I had fired 25rds!! He never came by my house again, thats good enough for me. I figured one day he would have got brave and killed us or something. Since I was on my own property, I figured if the cops came I could say, "OH, he must have seen me target shooting at that tree".
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#39]
If your planning on haveing an AR for real close conflict (50 Meters and closer) get an upper made for it with 1:12 twist barrel  and use max weight and velosity ammunition.

It's not accurate, but the instability of the bullet is 65%+ more likely to cause massive trama and death compared to the configuration used today for effectivness out to 600 meters.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
If your planning on haveing an AR for real close conflict (50 Meters and closer) get an upper made for it with 1:12 twist barrel  and use max weight and velosity ammunition.

or the .50 Beowulf conversion.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#41]
That will definatly do the trick.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Legally speaking, you would be a dead man.  Let's say you came across someone and killed him.  A) you went out of a room you could have locked.  The alarm went off and you had plenty of time to lock the door with you, the Mrs, and the baby, but you chose  B) you left the room holding an AR (jury reads Semi Automatic Machine Gun) looking for something to shoot at.

My advice to you would next time prioritize your assets.  Top on that list would be Mrs. Wedge and the baby.  Stay in the room with her and lock the door next time until the police come.

In my state you can defend your home. You don't have to stay put and let the goblins have the rest of your house. And my state is CA, I suspect most others are at least as good in this respect.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Never used the AR but have been forced to "brandish my 1911 3 times.  
--Pulled up to a convenience store late one night and saw one guy with an unseasonably warm coat outside the store acting nervous and through the store front glass saw his buddies acting peculiar inside.  I decided to not get out of my truck but reach for my goodie bag never taking my eyes off the watch out guy.  He was acting really nervous at my hesitation to get out of my truck but never made eye contact.  He then made eye contact and at that time I very obviously reached into my black bag and gripped my 1911.  He got real nervous and poked his head in the store to call his buddies.  The other two came out and they left.  I got their plate number and called it in.  The store clerk was also very aware of the situation.
--Driving down the street a bunch of gang bangers for some reason pulled up next to me, hung out the window  and started flippping gang signs at me.  I responded by pointing my 1911 at the main instigator and they quickly took a right turn with smoking tires.  That one really makes me chuckle.
--In college my roommate left the front door unlocked one night and at about 2:30 a.m.  two big drunk guys ran into my apartment and right past my room down a hallway to the living room area where my roommate was and started yelling at my roommate.  I jumped up, grabbed the 1911 and surefire and came up behind these guys.  I had the pistol leveled on the closest guy to me asked them what they wanted.  I let them see the pistol and then turned on the surefire---those lights really disorient people, thought they were going to piss themselves.  I ordered them out the back door and they didn't hesitate.  
--Lastly, I was broken down on the side of the road and I saw a car come up slowly.  As soon as they were right next to me I heard the bang.  Got on the cell phone and called in a description of the vehicle.  Waiting for the officer to arrive I finally noticed what looked to me like a .22 sized hole in the door 2" above where my head was---scared me to death.  When the officer got there he wanted me to come with him to possibly ID the vehicle.  Just so happens that right when we showed up the 3 guys were walking back to the vehicle and they got arrested.  They were in Wal Mart buying more ammo!!!!  

All of this and I am just a horseshoer from Kansas living in Colorado.  I guess some people are just lucky.  :)
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Actually with respect to drywall and typical residential building construction, the AR will penetrait less than a 9 or a .45. The fast .223 bullet strikes walls, begins to tumble, and fragments. The slower, heavier handgun bulltes just keep punching through wall after wall.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

It's not accurate, but the instability of the bullet is 65%+ more likely to cause massive trama and death compared to the configuration used today for effectivness out to 600 meters.

The twist rate won't matter. But the long heavy bullets like the Nosler 77 gr will work best.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#46]
there was recently a case in my county where a man was getting ready for work at 5:30 am and heard his door rattling. The man got to his living room intime to see a man in his late teens breaking through the door. The man told the intruder to leave but the individual jsut kept walking towrds him without saying aword. The man then grabbed his pistol from a coffee table drawer and drew up on him yelling to get out. The intruder still cam at him so the mad fired a warning shot that hit the top of his door frame. The intuder still hept coming so the man shot him and he later died of his wounds at the hospital.

It turned out the intruder was 19 years old and was drunk from a party. The family did not persue civil suite as of yet and actually said they understood and do not blame the home owner for his actions. The county D.A. stated that one of the reasons the man will not be charged is (because) he fired a warning shot and they found the bullet in the door frame.

At least here I know the D.A. is on my side.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I had to shoot in self defense once.

I was walking through the woods wish M4 in hand and ammo and targets in my pack, headed to my favorite wooded shooting spot when up the trial I saw a couple of mangy looking stray dogs.  I didn't really feel threatened at first but loaded a round anyway.  I just sort of stood there watching them when they noticed me and started my way.  As they got closer they were growling with ears back showing their teeth.  I didn't wait to see if I was in any danger or not, I pulled up and shot the bigger mongrel in the head once.  He as dead before he hit the ground and the other one was gone so quickly that I couldn't get a shot.  This was at about 15 yards give or take.  

Before anyone give me shit for shooting a dog I am sure you would have shot too if you had seen these two.  They were clearly not anyone's pet and they looked pretty ragged and thin so they were probably hungry.  I walked back to my truck got a shovel and dug a shallow grave in the woods  Never did make it to my shooting spot, damn dog.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Very good stories....

but some of them are cause for concern.  Again check your state laws but there are only a few states that allow you to shoot intruders regardless.  Only a few states.  Most states say you have to be in fear of your life.

If anyone tells you they will shoot an escaping TV burglar in the back BEFORE he exits the premises and the law allows it, don't believe it.  The law doesn't give you specific rights but it might condone it or might not forbid it...and only in a few states.  The rest of us live in those "slaves" states where you can only fire your weapon to save a life, we live in the sane states.  For me it's a moral issue, I would never take someone's life unless they were about to take somebody else's or mine.

Someone said and I paraphrase, "if there is an intruder, all bets (and laws) are off and out the window, laws cease to exist."  It is exactly that sort of thinking that has anti-gun advocates fearing the law-abiding citizens.  When you say the laws mean nothing to you, you are basically saying there are times when you are above the law.  Everyone here knows that the law gives you specific rights to self-defense, and you say you need MORE than the rights given to you by law?  That's a problem.  If you can't  live within the confines of the law, you shouldn't be owning a gun.  Of course we all intend to vigourously defend ourselves and maybe our property and of course sometimes it's hard to think straight and take too long to make the hard decisions, but to go into "all bets are off" mode or "I will take my chances in court" mode, that kind of thinking is irresponsible.  Anti-gun advocates always say that most gun owners in some circumstances intend to use their weapons unlawfully.  I believe that.  I honestly believe there are people who legally own guns, who are good citizens, but who will not hesitate to use their weapon unlawfully.  They are basically saying "I will use my gun exactly the way I wish to use my gun and if I am wrong, I am willing to take my chances in court."  That kind of thinking scares the average person because someone ends up dead.

Be responsible.  Use your weapon for deadly force only when the use of deadly force is a last resort and when it is lawful.  Don't say I will use deadly force whenever I decide it is best for me and my family.  That's a reckless statement because the law doesn't allow you to use deadly force whenever YOU decide when it is best for you and your family.  The law only allows you to use deadly force when you need to protect yourself and your family from death or serious bodily injury.  There's a difference.

Shooting bums and pot-smoking kids, unlawfully carrying weapons and engaging in street shootouts with criminals, going looking for trouble with firearms at your friend's house, using your weapon to defend yourself when you are obviously not in a defensive position, pointing your weapon at people who are looking at you funny in public...nonsense.  You live on the edge and are taking your chances.  All of the above makes the "normal" people want to ban guns.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:21:21 AM EDT
[#49]
One night the doorbell rang about 1am & my 12 year old stepson OPENED the door!?  By the time I got there this scraggly looking guy had one foor in the door.  Said he wanted to talk to Brenda.  I told him repeatedly, no Brenda here.  He said he wouldnt leave until he got to talk to Brenda.  So I introduced him to Mr Browning.  He left in a hurry, swearing he would be back.  He must of gotten lost because I never saw him again.  Had a long talk with my stepson about opening doors to strangers late at night.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:04:19 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

--Driving down the street a bunch of gang bangers for some reason pulled up next to me, hung out the window  and started flippping gang signs at me.  I responded by pointing my 1911 at the main instigator and they quickly took a right turn with smoking tires.  That one really makes me chuckle.

Now thats brandishing if I ever heard it. Flashing gang signs is not a threat.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top