[#1]
No black rifle = no business

garnder mountain is just playing brokeback gun control
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No black rifle = no business

garnder mountain is just playing brokeback gun control

Yea I wish bass pro would dabble in the black rifles..... I know cabelas does as they sell Beowulf stuff, but there is no cabelas remotely close to me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Never done business with GM, not even sure there is one around me here in the DFW area (don't care). But, it could be worse. When "Dick's" took over Galyans, they got rid of all the handguns.  They still carry paintball crap that IMHO, teachs theoretical killing without the consequences.  And, I understand that "Sports Authority" is out of the handgun business. They have been bought by "Dick's".  No wonder they have brown necks.  They have their heads up their asses.

Screw 'em, never go back.

ETA: Just looked up nearest GM. It's about 45 miles away.  Too close.  I'd rather drive the 50 or so to Cabela's.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Gander doesn't believe in 'assault' type weapons....except of course the Mini14,Mini30

Cabela's is the place to support...imo

And I have two old friends who manage Gander Mountain stores...who are pro assault style weapons.

Company Policy...it's their right...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Gander doesn't believe in 'assault' type weapons....except of course the Mini14,Mini30

And I have two old friends who manage Gander Mountain stores...who are pro assault style weapons.

and it is our right to sped money where we want and not spend it where we don't!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and it is our right to sped money where we want and not spend it where we don't!

It's nice to inform the manager why you will be spending money somewhere else, too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I go into our local Gander Mountain for misc ammo, targets, gun cases, etc  every once in a while.

That will end today.

At my GM they don't have $hit for 223 ammo.  Everytime I go there they always say "we're getting a new shipment this week."  I go by their every week and I hear the same crap.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I stopped in at the GM in Kenosha, WI to ask about a sidesaddle shell holder for a Remington 870, stating that most units don't work with the Remington folding stock. The guy turned an even paler shade of sickly gray and walked away, mumbled something about "folding stocks ... military weapons ... not stictly for hunting ..."

With the plethora of death dealing devices otherwise on display, disingenuous, hypocritical and terminally deluded are definitely the watchwords of their operation.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
this why I always purchase from my local privately owned gun shop...support your local gun shops or all that will be left is corporate large stores and this type of crap is what you can expect.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#10]
She refused to let you seak to her supervisor?  That alone deserves another phone call.  Totaly unsat.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Am I the only one who caught the sarcasm in the original post?

If one assumes it was sarcasm, then perhaps yes.

Quoted:
...snip... I've killed a couple of gobblers and lots of ducks wearing nothing but solid browns, tans, and greens.

Consider yourself lucky.  Turkeys & Ducks are very sight dependent.  If you wear camo and don't move you'd have likely killed more.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I was wondering about this when a GM opened near me. I asked the dept. mgr. if they would be getting any AR's.  He said they could order one, looked around and said it would be cheaper to just order one online and transfer through a local FFL.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't go to GM much, but as far as ammo goes, it is cheaper there than anywhere else around here.  I got a couple hundred rounds worth of Black Hills match grade .223 for significantly less than it would have cost to get the same amount of WWB at the local Wally World.  Nowhere around here has much in the way of .223 or 5.56, so I guess I'm stuck going there, especially if I can keep getting Black Hills match grade for $8/50rds when it is $14 for 40rds of WWB at the Wally World.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Go to a local Sportsmans Warehouse if you have one around.  They have pretty good prices and do handle EBR's.

+1
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Am I the only one who caught the sarcasm in the original post?

If one assumes it was sarcasm, then perhaps yes.

Quoted:
...snip... I've killed a couple of gobblers and lots of ducks wearing nothing but solid browns, tans, and greens.

Consider yourself lucky.  Turkeys & Ducks are very sight dependent.  If you wear camo and don't move you'd have likely killed more.

Have you looked at commercial camo from a distance greater than your head to your knees?
It's green.

You can get away with solids by paying attention to what you are doing and using cover.
Man hunted and killed animals for millenia before the advent of commercial camo.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Have you looked at commercial camo from a distance greater than your head to your knees?
It's green.

You can get away with solids by paying attention to what you are doing and using cover.
Man hunted and killed animals for millenia before the advent of commercial camo.

Yes they hunted for millenia, but the did it for necessity, not sport.  And they used natural camo, the didn't just sit around in their loin clothes in the bright sunlight.  They were driven by hunger, one of the ultimate motivators.  And not all camo looks green from a distance, it depends on the brand/design your using, and the background you try to blend into.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to hear about your problems with GM.  I buy most of my "outdoor" stuff and ammo there, but also had a similar experience.  

When the Beretta Storm was going to come out, I inquired about getting one there and was informed that they wouldn't sell it because it was "tactical".  Against policy, etc.

Low and behold, less than a year later, the GM by me is selling the Storm.  Have several in inventory.  Use that in your argument.  They are completely full of shit on this policy.  They will sell what makes them money.

At any rate, screw them and use a local FFL for your purchases.  Less hassle and easier than GM.  

My local store is the Geneva, IL store in case you need to reference this in your letter to the head of the company.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yet the ones in MN sell Mini-14's.......

Brad

not the Rochester location.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#19]
How about supporting your local gun shops that support your rights to hunt and shoot.  Nobody thinks about the little guy any more......  Besides, you usually get better service and more knowledgable staff.  I will gladly pay a little more to shop somewhere that I am appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Big-FED,

My thoughts exactly about the Dick's buyout of Galyans. Besides Dicks not retaining most of the local people and both of them building new stores at many Indiana locations only to be closed afterwards really turned me off too.

I was going to price shop between Dicks and GM when I buy my new safe here in a month or so, but now neither will get my business. Thanks for info on GM guys. I was in the new store in Greenwood In. during their grand opening and bought some shirts and a pair of boots for me and my son, but our second trip back, I thought that they were outragous on their prices.

Anyhow,

no BlackRifles = no GreenBacks from me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I've never had an issue with Gander Mountain.  Hell, they were the only place I found that was stocking Black Hills 223 ammo at a reasonable price.  And who cares if they stock ARs or not?  Spend your money elsewhere if you dont care for the company policies.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I personally witnessed the transfer of an AR-15 at a Gander Mountain I worked at in college in central Minnesota.  That was in the summer of 2000.  My supervisor approved the use of the store's FFL to order the customer a new Bushmaster Varminter.

Gander's policies are all over the place.  When I worked there I was told no handguns with barrels under 4" because "Gander Mountain sells sporting guns, not guns for self-defense."  My supervisor actually said this to me with a straight face as I stood in front of a shelf of 18" pump-action shotguns with extended tube magazines  Now I go in and see they carry snub-nose revolvers  I'm tempted to ask how those work for deer hunting next time I'm in there
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#23]
You know what?  GOD BLESS THIS FORUM.  The EE is a few steps under God in terms of Greatness.

Every place I go is very non-AR friendly.  I go to Bass Pro Shop and Gander Mountan for camping gear and such.  Sometimes I even get lucky and they may have some Speer Gold Dot ammo or something.  Other than that, you better be looking for a rifle used for hunting. not some Evil looking Black Rifle used by the Military.

What are you some kind of Soldier of Fortune?
What do you need that thing for?
You forming a militia there son?

If it's not for Whitetail you can only expect blank stares and confusion.

This forum however is just a blessing.  I was looking for a PRI big latch and in a matter of 2 days PayPal was sent and next thing I know USPS in the mail.  That's fantastic type of business.  Wish I could find stuff this easy for a 10/22 and a Sig P226

ARFCOM 4 LIFE
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought by definition an AR "was" an assault rifle? A magazine fed rifle with an adjustable stock, bayo lug, pistol grip and flash hider? Please correct me if I am wrong, I hate to have bad info.

Not unless its FA.

Correct, it has to be select fire to fit the MILITARY'S definition of an "Assault Rifle", and it has to be a CARBINE.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If it's not for Whitetail you can only expect blank stares and confusion.

Me-Got any 55gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw?
Them- What're you, gonna head shoot some deer?
Me-

I found some on the shelf at Cabela's. Another +1 for them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I didn't know that GM was that anti-AW. I typically just do window shopping/time killing there anyways.  As someone stated, why pay 20% over that the real price should be.  Either way I think GM is feeling the sqeeze from the bigger places, like SW and Cabela's.  I believe they will have to do something to 're-invent' themselves to stay in business.  They tried to start the an online/catalog store under the Gander Mountain name but got shot down in counrt because they sold that portion of their business off sometime back, to Cabela's I believe.  

Also, they are building a Sportsmans Warehouse here in Woodbury and Cabelas is now about only a 50 minute drive from MSP.  I prefer Sportsmans Warehouse anyways for their selection.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
this why I always purchase from my local privately owned gun shop...support your local gun shops or all that will be left is corporate large stores and this type of crap is what you can expect.

+1,000,000

The closest local gun shop to me is 10 minutes from where I work.  It's Tactical Solutions in downtown Sidney.  

The shop is open after 5 PM (which is great for those of us who have to work) because the owner is a full time deputy and head of the Shelby County SWAT.  

I call my order of powder primers, bullets, wads, etc, and a few days later he calls me back at work to tell me he has them in.  No hazmat bullshit fees and the over all cost is competitive with the anti-EBR Gander Mountain, and beats the mail order guys once you figure shipping costs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I spoke with local gun dealer and he said he prefers transfers to buying from him.  For example, he only marks his guns up $25 each, and he charges $25 for a transfer.
If I buy a gun from him, he makes $25 for investing his own money into the inventory, paying the shipping to his business, and performing a transfer for the buyer.
When I buy a gun online and have it send to him, he makes $25 without tying up any of his $$$.  And when I flop my NC CCW permit on the counter, even the background check is easier for him.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I only support one local gunshop, one that has not let me down once. Its a place owned by a pro-gun/self-defense husband and wife with IDPA/IPSC plaques and the guy is a an ex-leo with a few under the bounty hunter belt.

You ask for a HD shotgun, you get it. And not some tap-corized POS either. I said "a little shorter" and thats how I got my 20" 870.

Now, on the otherhand my friend supports the "bad neighborhood" store which tries shoving every add-on down your throat at 25-30% markup and he got taken hook, line, and sinker. And THIS AK47 was born.
landslide.dyndns.org/ar15/ak.jpg

Just imagine it with a 5" tall red-dot with a vis-laser on top of the red-dot, litterally. Its missing from the pic because I refuse to shoot the gun with the scope on.

But yea, gander sucks my ass hardcore. The only reason I went into that place was to use my $30 giftcard on all their remaining Q3131. I bought a few things for my SKS prior to that  bipod, slingstud, and sling. Other then that I have never bought, or intend on buying an actual firearm from them. I rather take it to Jim Schema. Much better service and practical knowledge.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Gander Mountain can suck my ass cheeks.

I wouldnt shop there if it was the last place to buy sporting goods.

The employees are all idiots, No black rifles, shitty selection of handguns, No variety in ammo.
I love to go there and ask them hard questions about ballistics and calibers that i know they
couldnt ever answer...Quite fun actually to watch them try to make shit up for an answer.
More expensive than the local stores, but the sheeple keep flocking there.

I'd love to see them go belly up...

KyARGuy

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Gander Mountain really irritates me. The fact thay only sell spare handgun mags of 10 rounds or less is one thing, but what really gets me is the way they care for their products. I was walking through their firearms section and witnessed surface rust on 2 different guns....new guns. They can't even take the time to wipe these things down??

On a little more postive note, that same Gander Mountain did have a couple AR's, although they're on display behind the Gunsmith counter. For sale, not customer guns. This was in SW Ohio which is rather gun friendly.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top