User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#1]
And what do you do when the bolt is hot?

Forward assist has been a required feature of every American military weapon. Used to be you could just push harder on the bolt handle but not anymore.

Even the final versions of the real AR10s had a forward assist function. It was installed when the deficiency was noted.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:17:43 AM EDT
[#2]
When there is a lot of sand and crud in your weapon and you have to use the charging handle to get that first round out of the mag, the forward assist proves its worth.

I have needed it to get the AR reloaded a time or two, but it was not needed when the weapon was operating under its own power.

Thus I think the forward assist is important...
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Heavy metal:

Or you could just eject the round and chamber a fresh one.

No, there sometimes was not time.  Like I said it's a combat function.  It's there in a pinch.  Think about it your in combat and you let the bolt go into battery.  You pull the trigger and nothing.  Then you have to figure it out.  Did a bullet chamber, is the magazine seated, Is a bullet jammed, did the bolt close...ECT? So, with the FA simple let the bolt go into battery and tap.  It take no time. This will eliminate the possibility of the bolt not closing.  

Then if the round doesn't fire: Make sure the magazine is seated and throw the charging handle to the rear and let it fly.  

I completely forgot about the silent round chambering.  I have not done that in years!
View Quote

If you pull the trigger on a weapon whit a bolt that's not quite in battery, forward assist or not, you are still going to have to charge the weapon again to re-cock the hammer.

I was an armorer in the Army for three years and saw a couple of weapons jammed up so bad by the use of the forward assist, the user could not clear the weapon.   Best try a fresh cartridge first.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]
"Best try a fresh cartridge first"

And if that doesn't work ?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then you can push the 'panic' button.

First, a fresh cartridge is the best policy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then you can push the 'panic' button.

First, a fresh cartridge is the best policy.  When you use the forward assist, you risk making the weapon inoperable.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Just recently, I had actual need for my FA.  Several times, my bolt did not close, not really sure why though I think the case was at an improper angle as the round was almost in, and undented when pulled out before firing.  My chamber was not dirty.

At any rate, I tried hitting the forward assist and I could not generate enough pressure with my hand for it to move my bolt/carrier forward.  It would have taken a boot stomp.  As it was, to pull the charging handle back and remove the round took a boot.  Aside from those situations when there was some sort of hang up, I also had several situations where there was no binding of any kind, yet again it was too difficult to smack the FA with enough force to cause it to go fully into battery.  In those situations I simply pulled the charging handle back a little and let it fly home.  What a let down.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 11:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
As others have stated the early M-16's didn't have the FA. From reading the history of the M-16 I believe it was an addition the Army insisted on before they would accept it for use. I've never used mine or don't know of anyone else who as had to.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At any rate, I tried hitting the forward assist and I could not generate enough pressure with my hand for it to move my bolt/carrier forward.
View Quote

Exactly, which is one reason I just smile when I hear the "it'll jam it in there" arguement. Look at the construction of the forward assist (esp that little tiny roll pin holding the pawl to the button) and how it engages the side of the carrier. You're not pushing much around with that rinky dink set up.

[speeling]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top