BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Look OP, it's your rifle and you can do whatever you want with it. Don't worry about changing things out to make other people happy. As long as you like it and it makes you happy and proud that you built it yourself, that's all that matters.

Having said that, I wouldn't jut brush off what some of the people here are saying because a lot of it is true. A $20 reflex site from China will eventually fail if it hasn't already and will most likely not hold zero. Then you'll end up spending more money to replace it with a better unit. I guess you got the offset BUIS because of that huge riser you put the reflex sight on is preventing you from co-witnessing. Again, mainly useless unless you have a scope and are going to be shooting long and short distance in one spurt like in a competition, etc. I don't know what to say about the stock.

When it comes to firearms and accessories, the rule of thumb is buy once, cry once. Do your research and find out what parts work and which don't. Just because Amazon has a real inexpensive set of offset buis that is $100 cheaper than the ones everyone is recommending, doesn't mean you're going to get your money's worth out of them.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You'll find lots of knowledgeable people here, who have been building, shooting, and even designing ar's for as long as the ar has been around

Lots of people here have taken the ar into combat, are competitive shooters, or have found out what works throught trial and error.

If you came here looking for nothing but attaboys for a bunch of Mall-Ninja junk on your rifle, this isn't the place for that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Daaaamn y'all are harshing my gig ....that shit ain't coo....I was thinking bout donating to the site but I'm not sure now...

You'll find lots of knowledgeable people here, who have been building, shooting, and even designing ar's for as long as the ar has been around

Lots of people here have taken the ar into combat, are competitive shooters, or have found out what works throught trial and error.

If you came here looking for nothing but attaboys for a bunch of Mall-Ninja junk on your rifle, this isn't the place for that.

So your saying there are no mall-ninjas here? I guess only combat vets, competitive shooters and design/builders that are in their late 50's.
Boy you learn something new everyday......
Sorry OP I guess no room for new people.....
By the way, M16/M4 has been in combat, not to sure the ar-15 has. Unless your talking about "gun battles on the streets of 'merica".
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice franken Build.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#4]
To the OP, almost everyone's first AR looks like shit because they finally have the opportunity to put cool stuff they've heard about in movies on their gun.

Everyone learns the hard way that cheap AR accessories aren't worth their weight and that the more expensive "name-brand" stuff is more robust, user-friendly and durable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everything on your rifle has to be expensive.  Do your research and you'll find products you're interested in and then find them at a good value.

Over time you'll find what accessories work and what doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So your saying there are no mall-ninjas here? I guess only combat vets, competitive shooters and design/builders that are in their late 50's.
By the way, M16/M4 has been in combat, not to sure the ar-15 has. Unless your talking about "gun battles on the streets of 'merica".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Daaaamn y'all are harshing my gig ....that shit ain't coo....I was thinking bout donating to the site but I'm not sure now...

Where did i say there were no mall ninja's here?

If you look closely, you'll see that i said

Nor did i say that op could not be on this site
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plenty of contractors had semi-auto AR15s overseas during the last decade+
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#7]
How does it shoot ?
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what does "a bunch of Mall-Ninja junk on your rifle, this isn't the place for that" mean to you?
To me it sounds like your saying if you have not been or plan on combat, a competition shooter,or an AR know it all; we don't care about what you build. If it does not fit our standard go elsewhere. Way to be nice to a new person to AR's. Pretty elitist sounding to me.
OP, just remember some of these know-it-all's could be 15 yr old kids in their parents basements doing image searches for their post about the perfect AR. For all we know they may have never touched an AR.
Sorry I should have said earlier, Congrats on your first build. Shoot it until you don't like something then change it or just build another.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't think about that, thanks for the correction. My hats off to those contractors to carry a semi into a combat zone.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So what does "a bunch of Mall-Ninja junk on your rifle, this isn't the place for that" mean to you?
To me it sounds like your saying if you have not been or plan on combat, a competition shooter,or an AR know it all; we don't care about what you build. If it does not fit our standard go elsewhere. Way to be nice to a new person to AR's. Pretty elitist sounding to me.
OP, just remember some of these know-it-all's could be 15 yr old kids in their parents basements doing image searches for their post about the perfect AR. For all we know they may have never touched an AR.
Sorry I should have said earlier, Congrats on your first build. Shoot it until you don't like something then change it or just build another.
View Quote

It means that if you come here to get nothing but praise for having junk on your rifle, you won't find it, jeez

Oh, and that "if you have not been or plan on combat, a competition shooter,or an AR know it all" i never said that, all i said was that there are a lor of people here who are, and it's a good idea to listen to them.

Shit
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#11]
P
Quoted:

It means that if you come here to get nothing but praise for having junk on your rifle, you won't find it, jeez

Oh, and that "if you have not been or plan on combat, a competition shooter,or an AR know it all" i never said that, all i said was that there are a lor of people here who are, and it's a good idea to listen to them.

Shit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit

It's hard to "listen" to someone when all they do is tell you your an idiot for building crap. It's his first build give the guy a little slack. Maybe his range gun fits what he needs. He said he built on a budget. What wrong with that?
No wonder people say gun people are hard a$$es...
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 11:50:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
P
It's hard to "listen" to someone when all they do is tell you your an idiot for building crap. It's his first build give the guy a little slack. Maybe his range gun fits what he needs. He said he built on a budget. What wrong with that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
P
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit

Geez

I never called anyone here an idiot for building crap

If its just a range gun? Fine, but don't come here and expect people to act like its perfect

Go get outraged over something else
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
To the OP, almost everyone's first AR looks like shit because they finally have the opportunity to put cool stuff they've heard about in movies on their gun.

Everyone learns the hard way that cheap AR accessories aren't worth their weight and that the more expensive "name-brand" stuff is more robust, user-friendly and durable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everything on your rifle has to be expensive.  Do your research and you'll find products you're interested in and then find them at a good value.

Over time you'll find what accessories work and what doesn't.
View Quote

My first AR

Only stupid things I did/added were.
-No name buffer tube/buffer assembly from amazon.
-Nail polished the lower to look "Kool"

Now if you want to see a cluster f*ck, in all fairness I did mall ninja/bubba my first 10/22

Makes me cringe just looking at it. I want to time travel back in time, so I can slap myself.

OP

Try and sell off the optic/45 degree sights.
Find a set of LMT/DD/Magpul sights cheap off the EE.
Get yourself a sling
Grab a Primary Arms Micro/Bushnell TRS
Grab a decent vertical grip or angled foregrip (magpul/BCM is good.)
Lastly I guess I decent light? I run a streamlight Polytac in a blackhawk mount. Only ran me 55 bucks all together.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:11:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Geez

If its just a range gun? Fine, but don't come here and expect people to act like its perfect

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
P
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit

Geez

He never stated it was perfect. He asked how did I do and got railed for it.

I'm disappointed in people's negativity, not outraged. Try being positive for a change.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:16:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm disappointed in people's negativity, not outraged. Try being positive for a change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
P
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit

Geez

And if you get criticized, its a good idea to take it in stride (which i think he did)

I'm not going to lie and say "oh yeah, that's great man!"

you were obviously outraged enough to start an argument for absolutely no reason at all.

But whatever, this isn't GD, so we should stop
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:23:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How does it shoot ?
View Quote

I'll let you know I'm a couple days...probably not very good ...I bought a very cheap well used barrel ..I think that will be my first upgrade.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#17]
You don't really need to shoot lasers.  I'd not consider a frankenbuild a defense weapon, anyway. I know wheeling and dealing can get great deals for free, though, so I am not sure the quality of parts across the board. I mean I managed to get a brand new Glock 19 for free a few years ago because of smart dealing so it's possible you have reliable parts I suppose.

My first AR build has proven to be the polar opposite of cheap lol. I bought a barrel and bolt for $540 then built a gun around it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Its your rifle, build it how you want it. Shoot it. See how it goes. But that being said, you're better served with regular ol BUIS. And you should plan on using them. Often, helpful criticism sounds like ridicule.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Its your rifle, build it how you want it. Shoot it. See how it goes. But that being said, you're better served with regular ol BUIS. And you should plan on using them. Often, helpful criticism sounds like ridicule.
View Quote

But how do you use/see the buis with a red dot in the way?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can use the sights through the optic like so.

The red dot you have shouldn't really even need a riser imo.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#21]
OK that makes sense.... And there were 2 reasons I went for the riser , 1st was so i didn't have to mash my cheek on the stock to see through it and also it was to extend the rail space top right at the balance point for one of these....
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Some people will say you aren't supposed to carry a rifle by the handle. Thought they were there to help protect the rear sight housing. Also on some AR prototypes the carry handle was used to protect the charging handle.

As far as the AR goes with a FAL style carry handle. There isn't much point, the AR is pretty light weight. A sling would be much better for carrying the rifle. It's your call, and it's your rifle.

But it would just be adding extra weight for no real reason.

Now if you are going for a clone build of a Colt M16A2 LMG, I'd go for it.

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OK that makes sense.... And there were 2 reasons I went for the riser , 1st was so i didn't have to mash my cheek on the stock to see through it and also it was to extend the rail space top right at the balance point for one of these....
http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/ARR-0608.jpg
View Quote

Unless you just want it for the looks, you would be much better served by getting a good 2 point sling, from magpul, BFG, or vtac/vcas

I have a vtac mk2 padded on my ar, and i love it
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Some people will say you aren't supposed to carry a rifle by the handle. Thought they were there to help protect the rear sight housing. Also on some AR prototypes the carry handle was used to protect the charging handle.

As far as the AR goes with a FAL style carry handle. There isn't much point, the AR is pretty light weight. A sling would be much better for carrying the rifle. It's your call, and it's your rifle.

But it would just be adding extra weight for no real reason.

Now if you are going for a clone build of a Colt M16A2 LMG, I'd go for it.
http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/machine/mg68/colt_m16a2_lmg-1.jpg

View Quote

It's a carryover from an earlier design where the charging handle was located within the carry handle.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Unless you just want it for the looks, you would be much better served by getting a good 2 point sling, from magpul, BFG, or vtac/vcas

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if I'll like how it looks till it gets here...
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#28]
OP congrats on your first build.  Let us know how it shoots and what you like/dislike about it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Congrat's on your first build. Welcome to the sickness.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#30]
OP, congrats on building an AR for nothing but your time.  Looks good, post groups.  Looking forward to the carry handle & the bumpfire stock.  Besides the bbl, you might look into putting some of the money you saved into a good trigger.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#31]
You can only have mall ninja accessories if you paid for top dollar mall ninja accessories.  Red dot, buis, offset sights, flashlights, lasers, and fore grips are all well accepted on this forum... if you spend 2x the cost of rifle for them.

Though, the offset buis and redot are a tad... awkward.

ETA:  This is probably also why people start with 10/22, AK, and SKS...
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#32]
shot like a dream !
Never even tried the 45 degree ...I probably will swap them out for regular ones ...maybe put these on my 22 upper ...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Sweet! Great news. Also, cheers on the "water off a ducks back" attitude. It's your build, their opinion. You can build it, they can give it. It's tough to stick your thumb on the board for the punters to take a whack though.

I should have built my "budget build" first! One day (couple of months ago) I "thought" I had enough parts to build a budget rifle. Almost 2k later, just one more "better part" LOL.

Be glad you got your first one done for as little as you did!!

The next ones gonna cost you!!! LOL

WSS
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top