Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 26
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is what I want.  18" gov profile with a rifle length gas and a 1/8 twist.    I would buy it today if it were available.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any issues with your .308 barrels?

Think about picking one up from Recoil Gunworks.

None at all!

We also have some other barrels coming soon including 18 & 20" Fluted, 18 & 20" Gov't and special profiles.

This is what I want.  18" gov profile with a rifle length gas and a 1/8 twist.    I would buy it today if it were available.

It is! Just came in stock Friday.

Order anytime.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Never have figured how to properly quote.  I am looking for a 14.5" or 14.7" pencil weight with a middy gas system.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Never have figured how to properly quote.  I am looking for a 14.5" or 14.7" pencil weight with a middy gas system.
View Quote

We would likely do the 14.7" Mid. We are not fans of carbine gas unless absolutely required.

If you are looking for a special order, contact me. We require mins of 25 pieces.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We would likely do the 14.7" Mid. We are not fans of carbine gas unless absolutely required.

If you are looking for a special order, contact me. We require mins of 25 pieces.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would for sure be in for a  mid length 14.5-14.7 pencil contour
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just green-lit production for 14.5 pencil barrels. ETA 4-6 weeks!
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds great.  On the downside, I just figured out how much I spent this past weekend.  Oh well, plenty of room on my credit card.  Count me in for one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Nathan,  is there any idea on price point?  

If it's in line with your other offerings is there any way to pre-order?  If so I will make a pre-order.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If it's in line with your other offerings is there any way to pre-order?  If so I will make a pre-order.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I am interested in this too.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll also add that if they are in the $149 range like the 16" pencil barrels you might look into 625 ultralight gasblocks as I like the 750 lightweight gasblocks you offer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Order anytime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any issues with your .308 barrels?

Think about picking one up from Recoil Gunworks.

None at all!

We also have some other barrels coming soon including 18 & 20" Fluted, 18 & 20" Gov't and special profiles.

Order anytime.

Am I having trouble finding it on the site?   Or is this it?

http://www.faxonfirearms.com/p/98/ar-15-556-nato-18-socom-rifle-length-gas

Isn't SOCOM a heavier profile than a gov profile?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:58:35 PM EDT
[#11]
TAG - as I have one of these AIM barrels from the same batch ordered on the same day.

I was so excited to see a 1:8 barrel with those specs and price point, but disappointed from the initial review.  I will be doing my own testing and seeing how mine measures up.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
TAG - as I have one of these AIM barrels from the same batch ordered on the same day.

I was so excited to see a 1:8 barrel with those specs and price point, but disappointed from the initial review.  I will be doing my own testing and seeing how mine measures up.
View Quote

please let us know. I will update the OP and title with your results
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'll also add that if they are in the $149 range like the 16" pencil barrels you might look into 625 ultralight gasblocks as I like the 750 lightweight gasblocks you offer.
View Quote

They will be in the same price range.

Not sure if we will kick off the blocks, but they will be .625.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Depends on the manufacturer. We hhttp://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=write&b=3&f=12&t=660604&r=-1&qtr=6682484&thr=6682484&page=3&x=classic&pvID=6682484&pt=r#ave a new site and naming convention in the works, but it is Gov't as most people understand it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

So were we! AIM's original shipment caught a defect in about 20% of the barrels and we have immediately replaced any barrels that have issues.

We firmly believe shooters deserve every penny they spend and believe in partnering with good companies like AIM to make it worth your while.

We stand behind our products anytime.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:11:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our website is sadly not sophisticated enough for pre-orders (it would immediately charge your card, and we don't like that!).

We have a new website in the works. It looks and feels much better!

We post up updates on new barrel configurations on our Facebook and through our Newsletter.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would be interested if you are able to pin standard front sight blocks to your barrels.
View Quote

You can, but we do not pre-drill them. Our Gov't profiles have the appropriate journal for the FSB.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#20]
This,

Lightweight, Mid-Length .625 with a FSB, handguard cap and barrel nut installed. I think this would be a very good seller as not everyone wants to bury a gas block under the rail of the week.

None of your competition is doing that or, they sell out quickly whenever they have them in stock.

That should be a clue,

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This,

Lightweight, Mid-Length .625 with a FSB, handguard cap and barrel nut installed. I think this would be a very good seller as not everyone wants to bury a gas block under the rail of the week.

None of your competition is doing that or, they sell out quickly whenever they have them in stock.

That should be a clue,

Wpns Man
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback! Our best-selling products have almost always come from customer suggestions.

We have our SKU list set for going into SHOT due to machine capacity. Once the flow opens up, I will see where we may be able to fit these in!
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
 When I say "you" I mean you do it, not me.  I'd like to have them come with a FSB already installed.  This has been my biggest obstacle in completing several builds.  I don't want to mess with sending the barrel off to ADCO or wherever to have the gas block pinned on.

One of them I have in mind is an 18" A2 build, but I need an 18" gov't profile barrel with a front sight installed.  I don't want to cut down a 20", nor do I want to reprofile the barrel, nor do I want to have to add the FSB myself.
If you offered in-house FSB installation for a modest fee, it would be a one-stop-shop!  
View Quote

Offering it as a stand-alone service is a solid idea. We have not looked into it, but have recently brought a young gunsmith onto our staff.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Depends on the manufacturer. We hhttp://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=write&b=3&f=12&t=660604&r=-1&qtr=6682484&thr=6682484&page=3&x=classic&pvID=6682484&pt=r#ave a new site and naming convention in the works, but it is Gov't as most people understand it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's why I hate barrel shopping.   I'd much rather see a diagram with the barrel measurments and weight, than a stupid arbitrary name that can mean one thing from one manufacturer, and another thing from another.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's why I hate barrel shopping.   I'd much rather see a diagram with the barrel measurments and weight, than a stupid arbitrary name that can mean one thing from one manufacturer, and another thing from another.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We hate the same same thing. Our objective for the new website rolling out here in the future is the base dimensions for the barrel are on the barrel's page.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We hate the same same thing. Our objective for the new website rolling out here in the future is the base dimensions for the barrel are on the barrel's page.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And weight!!!  This also helps us understand the profile and is very important to some.  A detail left off a lot of barrel manufacturers pages.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't know about my Faxon barrel. I bought the 16" SOCOM barrel from Aim Surplus. Got it assembled this morning in my Mega Arms MKM upper and took it to the range. This is the group I got using the 1.5x16 TA44SG-10 ACOG at 50 yards with Federal XM193F.

I think I got a lemon!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't know about my Faxon barrel. I bought the 16" SOCOM barrel from Aim Surplus. Got it assembled this morning in my Mega Arms MKM upper and took it to the range. This is the group I got using the 1.5x16 TA44SG-10 ACOG at 50 yards with Federal XM193F.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk289/20aegti/27472a33-e91d-4be4-a805-62c053e638b5.jpg

I think I got a lemon!!
View Quote

That's some sweet lemonade right there. Nice shooting!

Now just one click down and one to the left. ;)
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice barrel you all make!! I think I will be buying a few more in the future.

That little dot and low magnification on the ACOG doesn't make for very precise shooting but I love it on a carbine. I need to get a more powerful scope to really shoot for groups but I am mightly impressed with the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That little dot and low magnification on the ACOG doesn't make for very precise shooting but I love it on a carbine. I need to get a more powerful scope to really shoot for groups but I am mightly impressed with the barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are flattered by the compliments and hope you are able to put enough rounds through the barrel to buy another one someday.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk289/20aegti/27472a33-e91d-4be4-a805-62c053e638b5.jpg

I think I got a lemon!!
View Quote

That is amazing for a 50yd group with a 1.5x optic, whats most amazing is the ammo used, milsurp 55gr M193?  I'd love to see what that can do with a better optic but at 100yds.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I like what I'm seeing here.  I never had paid much attention to the Faxon barrels but the way they are standing behind the product is very nice to see.  Looking at the website, I'm also impressed to see the weights and gas port sizes listed.  I think the gas ports seem oversized, but that is pretty standard and I understand the logic behind it.  Not that hard to deal with these days anyway as there are many options for tuning the gas drive to your preferences.

ETA:  Sorry if I'm overlooking this...what is the finish on the barrel extensions used with the QPQ barrels?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That is amazing for a 50yd group with a 1.5x optic, whats most amazing is the ammo used, milsurp 55gr M193?  I'd love to see what that can do with a better optic but at 100yds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I really like the reticle in the TA44SG and it was with the standard brown box Federal XM193F.

I want to load up some ammo and get a better scope to see what it can really do. When I get around to it, I will post the results.

The Geissele Super 3 Gun trigger helps too. Very nice trigger!!

Quoted:
Sorry if I'm overlooking this...what is the finish on the barrel extensions used with the QPQ barrels?

Faxon guy posted that they are polished 4140 in a thread in Aim Surplus's forum.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#33]
RogueNathan,
I tried reaching out to Faxon a few months ago by email and by phone.  Left a voice mail after not getting any response to multiple emails.  Please check your PM box here for info.

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
RogueNathan,
I tried reaching out to Faxon a few months ago by email and by phone.  Left a voice mail after not getting any response to multiple emails.  Please check your PM box here for info.

Thanks
Wes
View Quote

Will do in the morning. Drop me a message direct and you will receive a response this weekend. My email is in my signature.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
RogueNathan,

Thanks
Wes
View Quote

Sure enough, you e-mailed on 9/28. Looking at our systems, I did not see a reply and very much owe you an apology for missing it. We have since changed our practices and CRM tools to ensure this does not happen again.

Saw your PM and will be back with you shortly.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:55:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Thank you sir!  Order placed.

Can you expand a bit on what the quality control issues were that you guys have now corrected, or at least what problems were observed by the customers who received a few of those barrels with problems?

Also can you tell me if the current in stock and shipping 16" pencil profile barrels are part of a new batch with the improved quality control/manufacturing practices?

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 5:06:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Any reason you guys went with a 1/8 over a 1/7 twist rate on your 300blk barrels ?
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thank you sir!  Order placed.

Can you expand a bit on what the quality control issues were that you guys have now corrected, or at least what problems were observed by the customers who received a few of those barrels with problems?

Also can you tell me if the current in stock and shipping 16" pencil profile barrels are part of a new batch with the improved quality control/manufacturing practices?
View Quote

Good questions. In short, people were shooting unacceptable groupings. One user in particular (I believe he posted earlier here) found a 14" spread at 100 yards. Completely embarrassing to us and spurred a comprehensive manufacturing review. Ultimately, we found that a small percentage of barrels had a correctable issue that has since been resolved with extra manufacturing and Quality checks.

Yes! Anything that is on our website, in-stock at AIM, or now available for sale through any of our dealers is all under the new processes. Barrels that did not meet standards have been removed from circulation.

If anyone has a barrel they are unhappy with, they can contact me and we swap it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Any reason you guys went with a 1/8 over a 1/7 twist rate on your 300blk barrels ?
View Quote

When we originally tooled up for the caliber, 1/8 was the recommend twist rate. With our tooling and processes, we have tested it extensively and found it has had no issues stabilizing rounds across all grain ranges, including testing with multiple cans and subsonics.

While I cannot speak to other manufacturers, we hold fantastic tolerances on our barrel threads to ensure correct alignment of the bore to external devices. Simply put, we have not had a reason to move to 1/7 for accuracy or baffle strikes.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Any plans for a 12.5" barrel in a profile other than gov?  Either lightweight or sorta lightweight with a more continuous taper?
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love the idea.   Thank you!  
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Any plans for a 12.5" barrel in a profile other than gov?  Either lightweight or sorta lightweight with a more continuous taper?
View Quote

Hadn't thought of one actually. For the shorter barrels, we like to leave some weight. I would hazard to guess we would leave it 700 behind the gas block and then forward of the journal. Gov't leaves .740 in front of the journal.

Thoughts?

-Nathan
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Hadn't thought of one actually. For the shorter barrels, we like to leave some weight. I would hazard to guess we would leave it 700 behind the gas block and then forward of the journal. Gov't leaves .740 in front of the journal.

Thoughts?

-Nathan
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

-Nathan

The common 'gov' profile is almost lightweight behind the gas block and then about .740 in front.  It's just wasted weight up front, and some barrel mfg's are finally starting to put better profiles out there.  If it's going to be lighter behind the gas block, it might as well be in front of it as well as the weight isn't offering much benefit there.  I think it's better to have a constant taper from the chamber down to the muzzle, whether the end goal is light, medium, or heavy weight overall.  I was just asking because at some point I'll be getting another 12.5" barrel and almost all the options out there for that length are 'gov' profile or close to it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#45]
UPDATE: FInally got to zero and shoot my pistol today. The pistol has the 7.5'' 416R SS barrel from Faxon. It FAR FAR exceeded my expectations for only 7.5'' and @ $99 it was a steal.

I was shooting federal 62 gr. factory loads. I got the red dot zeroed @ 25m. Was cranking groups out >1'' off hand. I then moved back to 75m (longest I can go in my yard right now) and was getting 2'' or so groups. Next time I get some good weather I will set up my shooting table so I can use the lead sled and see what it can really do but I am beyond happy with my buy!

3 shot group @ 25m ( was still zeroing RDS so shots are to the right)

5 shot group @ 25m

10 shot group at 75m ( ruler is covering 2 holes)

ETA: optic is a primary arms RDS which also exceeded my expectations! Fun day of shooting.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#46]
update in OP

keep the reviews coming fellas
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
update in OP

View Quote

Something went fucky when you copied and pasted. There are no pictures showing up in the OP
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Those groups just make us all happy inside.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Those groups just make us all happy inside.

View Quote

Yep! My ONLY wish is that the finish was the dull bead blasted stainless and not the shiny but I do realize that comes at a price and for the $99 I paid there are NO complaints what so ever.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Something went fucky when you copied and pasted. There are no pictures showing up in the OP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
update in OP

I can't tell, blocked by the firewall. Is that better?
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top