Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks simular to every case head failure I've seen.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:19:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
One word (to avoid):  reloads.

You just about never hear of KBs with factory ammo...just sayin'.

The most important thing was no one was hurt.

Only part true....Yes, avoid other peoples reloads.  However, I had a kaboom with .308 Federal Gold Match 168gr, last year.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:28:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Sweet freakin' jesus............good luck with this.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:38:27 AM EDT
[#4]
glad to hear you only took some hot gas & small wounds, it could have been real bad.

I had a similar incident with a Rem 1100 12 gauge almost 30 years ago - kaboom ....

I was lucky, not so much as a scratch can't say the same for the 1100 ........
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:46:43 AM EDT
[#5]
A. Glad you are ok!

B. Hope the ammo company springs for your new rifle

C. Wasn't there an ammo company (very recently) whose NEW ammo had the wrong type of powder in it (pistol powder in rifle cases?) causing KABOOMS?
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:19:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wow I'd really like to know what was in that round.  That looks like more damage than an over charge of a normal powder for .223 could cause.

Yes, it does.  In my experience with handloading 5.56mm the powders I have used have filled the cases up nearly completely.  There is space left for an overcharge, but nowhere close to enough room for a double or triple charge.  The damage here looks like a 5.56mm case loaded to capacity with something like Bullseye or Red Dot, both super fast handgun powders.

Hope the ammunition company makes good on this.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
One word (to avoid):  reloads.

You just about never hear of KBs with factory ammo...just sayin'.

The most important thing was no one was hurt.

Only part true....Yes, avoid other peoples reloads.  However, I had a kaboom with .308 Federal Gold Match 168gr, last year.

Yea, I should have said "commercial".

But for a SHTF/life on the line scenario, factory is the way to go, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn!!! Glad it wasn't worse.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 7:00:17 AM EDT
[#9]
WOW!
You just about never hear of KBs with factory ammo

I had a bad XM193 round blow my bolt up. No other damage, but I needed a new bolt.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 7:09:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yea, I should have said "commercial".

But for a SHTF/life on the line scenario, factory is the way to go, IMO.

I don't carry reloads because if I have to go to court for a shooting I don't want it used against me.

But... for SHTF? I trust my own ammo way more than I trust any factory ammo. I know exactly how it was made and how it performs. You can't buy that peace of mind from a store.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 7:12:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Were you wearing eyepro?  I'm always surprised at how often I see folks shooting without it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, so sorry about your rifle man. Glad no one was hurt seriously tho, that was a serious kaboom... Would love to see what the ammo company has to say...

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 7:24:10 AM EDT
[#13]
great just bought some USA ammo and now I don't want to shoot it. Glad your ok sucks about the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I was almost going to buy ammo from USA...with their deal going on.

I guess not now...you really DO get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#15]
HOLY CRAP
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Were you wearing eyepro?  I'm always surprised at how often I see folks shooting without it.

I was wearing Native brand sunglasses.  I was shooting NTCH and received some soot and heat to my right cheek.
Waiting for a call back from the company CEO.

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Did we ever determine what happened? I heard reloads mentioned.. squib?
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Glad to see you're alright and definitely keep us posted with the outcome. On another note, your BCG look bone dry dude..throw some oil of the next one for sure
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I've never seen one that bad.

- AG
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn, that is one hell of a KB!!! Glad you're OK, but that rifle looks pretty much toasted!

I just bought 500rds of 9mm from them, new not reloads, but I may just sell it depending on how they handle your situation.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wearing Native brand sunglasses.  I was shooting NTCH and received some soot and heat to my right cheek.
Waiting for a call back from the company CEO.

Any scratches/damage to your lenses?  Just curious.

In any case, glad there was no significant injury involved....
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Man glad your ok and that sucks for your rifle..the one thing I always notice in these accidents is how well the AR15 absorbs the kaboom and protects the operator.

thats a good point, i wonder how something like a SCAR or ACR would hold up? glad your ok OP

in the bushmaster industry part of this forum there is an ACR kaboom thread
For the lazy who can't click Industry :P
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#23]
This is why the only stuff I shoot is brand new brass/steel, or stuff reloaded by someone I know and trust personally.

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd be kind of surprised if S&W takes any responsibility for it if it's not their fault. I think your only chance to get right on this will be by the ammo company.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 8:48:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Glad your alright. That's a nasty one.

Regarding reloads, 1/4 to 1/2 of what I shoot is reloads. (my own) as was mentioned, if done with care yourself, they can be as good or better than any factory ammo. We have seen several KBs here from factory ammo so using it won't exempt you from having a KB. Only case head separation I've had was with factory UMC a couple months back.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Glad you are O.K. , and sorry about your rifle. Money goes a lot further replacing AR's than it does on ER bills.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#27]
FML. I just ordered a bunch of ammo from them. Won't be shooting it now...

Tag for outcome.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
FML. I just ordered a bunch of ammo from them. Won't be shooting it now...

Tag for outcome.

Update in OP
USAammo 223 55 gr FMJ Lot #2906113
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#29]
WOW thank god your ok.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Just curious OP.

Where you grabbing the PMag/Magwell as a grip point? If you did, you probably would had a nasty hand wound as well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I hold on to the magwel when I shoot. Make me think of using a VFG.   I buy ammo from USA in the past without any problems but that was mostly 9mm ammo for my glock.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just curious OP.

Where you grabbing the PMag/Magwell as a grip point? If you did, you probably would had a nasty hand wound as well.

No, he said that he was using his AFG with arm stretched out which is why he got little cuts on his arm.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Can someone explain to me what series of events leads to this type of KB?
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Glad you made it through unscathed, that one looked bad...
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#35]
This is very worrysome.  I have 1.1k rounds of 9mm and 500 223 from them...  No longer going to shoot it anymore.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Glad you are ok bro, that was a hellacious KABOOM!

PS- I have a $100 worth of ammo for $50 coupon code from USAammo if anyone wants to buy it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Yikes! Glad youre OK
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Im Guessin it was a squb round.   EVen an overloaded case would hold with propper 223 powder.   Unless the loader used the wrong powder in that round.  Ive seen it happen someone wasnt paying attention to there loads and put a scoup of WIN 231 pistol powder in a 30-06 case.  I think his scope is still floating in orbit and the barrell blew completly off of the reciever
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Anyone...Anyone...?
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone...Anyone...?

Can't say for sure, but it sure looks like pistol powder in a rifle case.  I've seen where someone did that with some .308 reloads not paying attention.  Loaded them into a FAL, pulled the trigger, and it looked about the same after.....  Luckily he was ok too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone...Anyone...?

BCG pushes improperly loaded cartridge in chamber. Trigger is pulled. Hammer drops. Firing pin strikes primer. Kaboom!!

(you asked)
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#42]

Glad you're ok
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Yeah wow, that looks bad.

I'm going to guess it was just a powder issue like the CEO suggested.

Can't be a squib unless he fired, didn't get anything, ejected the empty casing, didn't look at it, and fired another round into the squib.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Since it's once-fired brass, I'm saying case head failure secondary to weakened brass fired from a SAW.

This has been the problem that plagues Georgia Arms, and what led to my KB with their ammo. If USA gets their once-fired brass from the military, I can almost guarantee this to be the case.

Your KB looks just like mine did, only your bolt broke. Mine destroyed my silencer due to the decreased velocity of the round and early destabilization just after it left the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#45]
When the manufacturers step up and warrant their products, even when its not necessarily their fault, it costs them little and speaks volumes about their desire to make customers happy.  Good deeds go a long way in this industry.
Nice to know you were not injured.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Whew. Glad you're ok. Also glad that I decided not to go for their discount on sale recently!
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#47]
WOW!  Glad you are ok.  I am interested to see what happens with the ammo manufacturer and RRA.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So glad you are okay.
What a bad day at the range.

Also glad he is ok
Although I know what you mean any time something like this happens and the shooter comes away with two eyes and ten fingers
with little to no blood on the ground it isn't all that bad

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow I'd really like to know what was in that round.  That looks like more damage than an over charge of a normal powder for .223 could cause.

Yes, it does.  In my experience with handloading 5.56mm the powders I have used have filled the cases up nearly completely.  There is space left for an overcharge, but nowhere close to enough room for a double or triple charge.  The damage here looks like a 5.56mm case loaded to capacity with something like Bullseye or Red Dot, both super fast handgun powders.

Hope the ammunition company makes good on this.

was thinking the same, my reloads are the same..not much room left to double up......
glad you're not seriously hurt
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Also glad the OP was not injured.

He didn't say anything about a case head separation, and in fact the bolt appears to still be in battery in one of the pictures, so I'm thinking that wasn't what happened here. Whatever it was, it had a helluva lot of force to break his bolt in two and cause that kind of damage to the upper and lower. And like others have noted, an overcharge of powder isn't that likely. I'm leaning toward it being charged with the WRONG powder.

And as for reloads - this ain't ammo reloaded by your little cousin Bobby. It's factory remanufactured, so in theory at least the cases are cleaned and inspected, then reloaded with factory components to factory specs on automated equipment. Aside from the possibility of a structurally weak case (which can happen with ANY ammo), the biggest risk is overcharge or wrong powder ... which also can happen with ANY ammo. Not trying to defend USA Ammo, but talk of reloads doesn't really apply to this product. If they used the wrong powder, shame on them for that kind of potentially deadly mistake, and I hope they recall their stuff immediately.

Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top