[#1]
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 4:31:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 4:38:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 5:33:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So, if you want this, now is the time to speak up and send in your Eotech AA model, because I'm putting together a list to buy the parts for the guys who've already contacted me.
Just IM me, or email me about it, and I'll provide the information you need for sending in your sight to me.

Email sent, thx!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I would think this moddification  would void any warranty that EOTech would do on one of there sights...?
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#7]
NICE JOB!!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#8]
IM sent!
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NiMH have a HORRID self discharge rate once fairly well used.  Id look to package your invention with some form of new hybrid stlye rechargables like Eneloops or Hybrios so when users pull out the EOtech out of the safe it wont be dead.  Your EOtech would have still been working had those been installed at the patent attys office.

At this rate of charge, there isn't a problem with whatever battery chemistry you want to use. As long as they are in this voltage range, and are rechargeable, you can pick whatever you want.

I am impressed with your work, and I did have a few questions in my mind from your original post.

1. The battery selection is fairly good, but I was wondering if you could use the EOTech in your battery mode, yet be able to revert to the standard factory set-up, like an emergency solar malfunction? That adds big-time versatility.
2. For the GG&G EOTech covers, will you in the future possibly to be looking at making another patent, or maybe someone from here will. I noticed that you stated you use mylar in your techniques. Could it be possible to run another solar dual bank of cells (in picture) on the front of 552 looking model so I could do a direct wire up to my SureFire lights and or laser? Just kidding now, but maybe not in the near future
3. If it is snowing real hard and your in a fire fight, will the solar cells need to be clear for a long/short time?

Keep us posted, we might be looking for some of your cool stuff.
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 4:10:28 AM EDT
[#11]
This is an absolutely AWESOME idea !

It leads me to some additional ideas/questions .

How reflective are these panels ?
Reflective enough to give away a position from the
sides,or just enough to be barely noticable ?

If the panels aren't too reflective,this gives me other ideas
as well.

I think I'll IM you one of my ideas so it's not posted here.
Please read it and tell me what you think .
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Neat Idea.

Kudos to you. If I kept a rifle in a vehicle rack or something similar this would be the hot ticket.

Unfortunately I keep my rifle cased in the trunk and 90% of the time deploy it at night, so Aimpoint is the logical choice for me.

If I was going to run an EOTech, I might do this just for the hell of it. It's better than nothing.

I assume that this will void the warranty though?
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 7:07:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice idea!
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone know if anybody makes rechargable N cells?  I've searched like crazy and have only come up with some 1.2 volt Radio Shack that they don't make anymore.
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Do you have anything to back up your claims of recharging at twice the rate of useage?  I am sure there are people like me who dont want to drop $100 on some unsubstantiated claims.
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does anyone know if anybody makes rechargable N cells?  I've searched like crazy and have only come up with some 1.2 volt Radio Shack that they don't make anymore.

I came up with these from a quick Google search.
Don't know how good they are, but they're cheap.

www.batteriesinaflash.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2657

I saw those also, I just didn't know since the standard N Cell is 1.5 volt and those say 1.2 Volt.??
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if this would work with the Leupold CQ/T?
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you have anything to back up your claims of recharging at twice the rate of useage?  I am sure there are people like me who dont want to drop $100 on some unsubstantiated claims.

Here's what I can tell you.

The Eotech 552 which uses AA batteries is claimed by the mfr to have 1100 hour battery life.
A typical set of AA batteries has about 2000mah storage capacity.
According to my calculator, this means that it uses(on average) 1.8ma during operation.

The charge panel that I'm employing on this unit has a charge rate in full sun of 22ma @ 3v, with an open-circuit voltage of 4.1v.
This means that when the batteries are connected, and there is the commensurate voltage drop in the system, that we'll get 22ma at that expected system voltage.
Now, since the batteries are only 1.2v each, and in a series pair, that makes 2.4v total plus some room for charging.
So, since the actual working voltage will be somewhat less than 3v, the current will be somewhat higher, perhaps around 20% higher, or maybe 26ma at times.
So, the charge rate at optimal would be around 14x usage.

However, things are not always optimal, so let's look at some reduced levels of performance.
Let's say that the sight only gets half the battery life that the mfr states.
That would be 550 hours, so you'd have 3.6mah usage.
Then, let's say that my panel doesn't work to full capacity because of some sun shading conditions or other suboptimal conditions, and only gives half the charge it's rated at, so say 11ma on average.
That's still triple the usage.

But, we may have a circumstance where we have an overcast day, and we don't get any real charge that day, so we have to wait until the next day to get charging.
Then we'd have an average of 1.5x usage, for the average charge rate.

So, basically, I've designed a system which should do at least an average charging of 2x the usage rate of the sight, even when sub-optimal conditions are present.
You have to do this, because sub-optimal conditions are going to be present often, and also people aren't necessarily going to be out in the sunlight all day, and the sight might only get a few hours or less of sunlight per day, instead of a full day's charge.
Some days it might get no charge, or even several days in a row.

So, I've done what I could to build some leeway into it.
Maybe it might not be perfect.
It should do the trick in most situations.

If you use batteries which have a low rate of self-discharge, like the Eneloops, then I'd really doubt that you'd ever see a dead set of batteries in the sight that is equipped with my mod, as long as you give it some sun periodically.
If it never gets any sun, then it won't charge.
That's the caveat.

Have you done anything with rechargeable N cells yet??  I am looking at some and this is interesting me!  
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I haven't done it with the N-cells yet, but it should likely work on them too.

However, I've been reading alot of horror stories about the Eotechs with the N-cells having a problem with discharging the batteries thru the internal electronics of the sight, when the unit is turned off. Then the batteries are dead when they go to use the sight next time.
I'm leery about applying my mod to these, because I would surely "be hung with the rap" when the batteries go dead, and not because of anything that I did, but because these N-cell Eotechs commonly have this problem.

I've also heard that rarely this has happened with the AA models too, but it seems to be infrequent.

I can assure everyone that my mod will not have reverse-current discharge thru the panel, because I have a Schottky blocking diode in the circuit, specifically to stop any reverse-current discharge from occuring thru my system.
If there is any battery draining going on, it isn't happening because of anything that I've put on there.

It would really be nice to see this mod work with the N Cells because of the low battery life.  I keep my rifle in an overhead rack, so it should get plenty of sunlight to keep them going.

Here is some info that I found on some Sanyo N Cell rechargeables, they are $2.00 a piece.
www.gylling.no/hobby_pdf/N-150N.pdf
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'd be willing to do this to your N-cell sight, AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T HAVE THIS ISSUE OF DISCHARGING ITSELF.

If the sight is not exhibiting this problem, then I'd be willing to do the mod to it.

I can say that the NiMh batteries do have a fairly rapid self-discharge rate of their own, and would require more regular charging activity than the Eneloops would.
I don't know if there are any Eneloop N-cells at this time, but if there are, those would be the ones to use.

If the sight in the future developed this self-discharging problem, I don't know if Eotech would honor their warrantee with my mod in place on the sight.

OK, thanks for the info, I'll see if I can find any N Cell Eneloops.
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Since the N-cells are the same voltage as the AA cells, I see no problem at all with this system recharging them.
They just have a lower storage capacity, so this system would bring them up to full in a shorter time of charging.

As long as the N-cell Eotech sight itself isn't defectively draining the batteries, then this same mod will apply to them.

I just don't want to be modding defective Eotechs, and get the blame for Eotech's problem.

OK, thanks, I have never had any problem with this EOTech eating batteries.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Have you tried using a fresnel lense over the solar panel?
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#34]
How many times can these Enloops be recharged? Also are they good in cold weather?
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 4:46:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 4:51:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#37]
you mentioned having did this to a sopmod stock to recharge batteries that are kept inside the storage area. any pictures of these?
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 4:32:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Great idea!

Something like this would get me to consider an Eotech... In fact, I would prefer to have a solar charger available for any electronic sight.

Whether built-in, adapted (like yours), or external accessory.
Link Posted: 11/7/2007 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Very Impressed with your idea and its presentation, you've allready met any concerns that people might have with such an item and from the looks of it you've got something going here.

well done!
Link Posted: 11/7/2007 7:58:42 AM EDT
[#41]
JacobSK

you've allready met any concerns that people might have with such an item and from the looks of it you've got something going here.

How so??? I see nothing here that addresses the issue of durability...

What happens when these panels get damaged from scrapes.. dropped... bumped against a table,etc....

and if durability is not factored in...  and the user is not concerneded with that as theyre rifle would be for "Range/fun use only " then why bother at all??? what does this address that a spare battery does not......??

Including not voiding EOtech's warranty which I would go out on a limb and say this would void in a heartbeat..

I don't believe you can just modify someone elses product and not expect them to void there warranty....

Link Posted: 11/7/2007 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#43]
i, for one, am very excited about this mod.  i sent my eotech out to tom and it should be back on its way home very soon.  

i will say that i hold no illusions about being some sort of "spec ops" guy or plan to hold the fort against hordes of invaders.  i am like the majority of people on this board, just an average joe who likes his toys.  i dont claim to be a mall ninja or some armchair commando, so it is highly likely that the most extreme condition that my rifle will see is getting bumped off the table when i'm cleaning it.  but that does not mean i can't see the value in this mod.  im a fairly trusting guy, so i went out on a limb, and took tom at his word about how this thing will work like he says it will.

what i expect the solar kit to do is be reasonably durable and keep my eotech charged.  will i get that...i have no doubts.  from what i have seen from tom on this board and never actually meeting him in real life, he seems like a stand up guy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Received my modded Eotechs yesterday and must say I'm very pleased with the results, looking as professional as one can expect w/o coming off an assembly line. It adds nothing to weight or bulk and doesn't obstruct FOV as well. With no moving parts it's as KISS as you can get and nothing appears to be located where it would be prone to damage. I added the detachable velcro myself to provide protection for the solar panel when desired and to allow use of std non-rechargeable batteries (currently using a double strip as the cover as the velcro I have on-hand isn't wide enough to cover the width of the panel w/a single strip, I'll pick up something wider in the near future). Is this mod a "must have!" for Eotech AA owners? I think that depends upon your planned use but it suits my needs *very* well. Thumbs up!...
Tomac

Link Posted: 11/17/2007 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I haven't done it with the N-cells yet, but it should likely work on them too.

However, I've been reading alot of horror stories about the Eotechs with the N-cells having a problem with discharging the batteries thru the internal electronics of the sight, when the unit is turned off. Then the batteries are dead when they go to use the sight next time.
I'm leery about applying my mod to these, because I would surely "be hung with the rap" when the batteries go dead, and not because of anything that I did, but because these N-cell Eotechs commonly have this problem.

I've also heard that rarely this has happened with the AA models too, but it seems to be infrequent.

I can assure everyone that my mod will not have reverse-current discharge thru the panel, because I have a Schottky blocking diode in the circuit, specifically to stop any reverse-current discharge from occuring thru my system.
If there is any battery draining going on, it isn't happening because of anything that I've put on there.

It would really be nice to see this mod work with the N Cells because of the low battery life.  I keep my rifle in an overhead rack, so it should get plenty of sunlight to keep them going.

Here is some info that I found on some Sanyo N Cell rechargeables, they are $2.00 a piece.
www.gylling.no/hobby_pdf/N-150N.pdf

MY 551 FAILED ON ME 3 times with new N batts ( energizer )

NOW its SEEMS TO RUN GREAT WITH DURACELL N

I hope it stays like this

the Life of the 551 N battery is fine for me
its on my BACK UP M4 anyway

Link Posted: 11/18/2007 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I came up with these from a quick Google search.
Don't know how good they are, but they're cheap.

www.batteriesinaflash.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2657

So if I wanted my N Cell sight to be done is it possible with these rechargeables?

Never mind.

J223...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top