User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:01:12 AM EDT
[#1]
What is the point of having to hoard Pre-Ban equipment.  I just sold 2 basically new Pre 20" barrels.  Not because of the AWB, cause I need to clear out of surplus stuff that I had.

The key is to accessorize. Why would you want to keep removing uppers from lowers and how many rifles do you need?

Diversify your collection.  Does your pre shoot better than your post?  Would like to see some other point of view.

I would rather have much more ammo and mags than rifles..
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There is simply no precedent in the history of governments to suggest that the AWB will not be extended and enhanced. It will be great if it sunsets, but I'm still buying hi-cap and pre-ban stuff. If it does go down, you can all have a laugh at my expense. Look for incidents involving AWs next summer to really put the heat on Congress.
View Quote

I have to agree with this, my common sense tells me that this (AWB type of law) will not die easy, something will replace it.

As the news events go, any incidents involving long guns will be described as "assault weapons" and the biased news groups will start the "spinning", it's the way business is done in this country.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There is simply no precedent in the history of governments to suggest that the AWB will not be extended and enhanced.
View Quote

There is also no precedent to suggest that the AWB will be extended or enhanced.

We have never had a gun law with a built-in expiration date.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is simply no precedent in the history of governments to suggest that the AWB will not be extended and enhanced.
View Quote

There is also no precedent to suggest that the AWB will be extended or enhanced.

View Quote

Keep in mind that these are strange times. Panick-stricken motherhood has infested the nation, & it would be foolish to think that this issue will disappear. At the very minimum, fear of political backlash almost guaruntees that this sort of lawmaking won't go away. The issue is like a screaming closet queen waiting to be outed. Closer to election time, this will be hurriedly rushed to the political forefront & the subsequent emotional fervor used to intimidate all the evil, pro-baby-killer politicians into submitting to the will of screaming mothers & "womyn" everywhere.

I don't expect the SC to touch Sylviera v. Lockyer w/ a 10 foot, white-hot pole. Thus, within the coming decade, I expect the fed to push for a national, Kalifornya-style registration scheme, followed by a bait & switch, now-you-better-turn-it-in-or-else confiscation plan. Before you flame, ask yourself why the SC has never overturned the gun laws in Kalifornya, Massachusetts, etc. as unconstitutional. If slavery were enacted in anywhere in the Union today, they wouldn't sit idly by & wait for a case to come their way - they'd act immediately. My take: the SC doesn't like guns, & wants the 2nd die on the vine.

Bottom line: sell at your own risk.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I dumped all of my pre-bans last summer.  It was a shameless money grab...I feel terrible.

Sure.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Keep in mind that these are strange times.
View Quote

One school shooting next August, and those pre-bans will be pretty nice investments...
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's an interesting thought regarding the pre vs. post ban issue.  Say you own a Colt AR-15, perhaps an SP1 or SP2 which indeed has "Colt AR-15" stamped on the lower.  Would it not be impossible to render this a non-assult weapon due to the fact that "Colt AR-15's" are specifically listed in the AWB? In effect, would having a weapon SPECIFICALLY listed by make and model in the AWB superceed the "evil feature" test?  Your thoughts?

My opinion re: the AWB.  I think it'll be allowed to sunset.  But I think anybody is kidding themselves if they don't think that something more draconian won't be passed anywhere from several months to a couple years later.  My advice: start gettin' while the gettin' is good. That even means right now!

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:43:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anyone thought of purchasing a pre-ban upper from say Bushmaster, in anticipation of the awb sunsetting?
View Quote

I can't imagine anyone doing so. [:)]
View Quote

Heh, I see... [;)]

The only problem is if the ban does not sunset, you're SOL.  Not to mention in the mean time, doesn't the ATF believe if you have a preban upper in the same house as a postban lower (and no preban lower) you are breaking the law?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:41:13 AM EDT
[#9]
If I had a threaded barrel, hypothetically speaking, I'd keep it with family in Skagit Co., apart from the post-ban lower.  If the ban is renewed I'd permanently affix a comp of some sort to it and remove the bayo lug -- because of course I would want to be a Good American and follow the (unconstitutional) law.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:51:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Luckily, I bought all my pre-bans before the ban, so I didn't pay much for them. If the law sunsets, I'll probably accessorize a few post bans. I might buy a "few" more mags though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:15:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm all set with everything preban.  Whether the AWB sets or not I'm good to go.

The only thing I care with a possible AWB sunset about is seeing the rest of you junkies get your fix![:D]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:48:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm buying Pre-Bans--how bout that? And I don't give a rats ass about value loss...should we be fortunate enough for it to go away. My friends are counting on it going away so they aren't doing anything..Myself, I bought two AR's and an AR10. I'm in the works for another 5-10 more AR's before september...I'm not taking any chances..I know a guy who bought a brand new Car-15--still in the box never opened just before the 86 ban for about 450 bucks...it's now worth over 12,000...just seems like a good investment to me..My .02 cents
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm buying Pre-Bans--how bout that? And I don't give a rats ass about value loss...should we be fortunate enough for it to go away. My friends are counting on it going away so they aren't doing anything..Myself, I bought two AR's and an AR10. I'm in the works for another 5-10 more AR's before september...I'm not taking any chances..I know a guy who bought a brand new Car-15--still in the box never opened just before the 86 ban for about 450 bucks...it's now worth over 12,000...just seems like a good investment to me..My .02 cents
View Quote

Ditto. I have no faith whatsoever in our legislature to do the right thing. I will gladly take the loss in value should it sunset just to have peace of mind in knowing I have a preban if it does not sunset.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Haven't perused the entire thread, so I apollogixe in advance if its a repeat post, but, wait until there's another mass-shooting and the shooters use FA's, or SA "AWs" puchased domestically or not and the shooters are "of middle eastern descent".  The shooting will win over all the worried Moms, and the media will tie the NRA, w/ terorists, and the "ease" at which these ..." were available.  The terror lionk will create a media frenzy and the "fence riders" will fall in line.  Black guns and terror, will win over those that are on the line and undecided.  

Be afraid, be very afraid.

/S2
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here's an interesting thought regarding the pre vs. post ban issue.  Say you own a Colt AR-15, perhaps an SP1 or SP2 which indeed has "Colt AR-15" stamped on the lower.  Would it not be impossible to render this a non-assult weapon due to the fact that "Colt AR-15's" are specifically listed in the AWB? In effect, would having a weapon SPECIFICALLY listed by make and model in the AWB superceed the "evil feature" test?  Your thoughts?
View Quote

Correct. That is why Colt no longer makes AR-15 Rifles.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top