AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#2]
It's already onfusing trying to get a sight picture through a reflex window, but much higher than a stock EO 554 and I think it is going to relegate it to almost uselessness.  

Like my Trijicon Reflex with irons (like 30% of the aperature is obscured by the sights aluminum housing and at that point it becomes pretty much confusing and slow to use the irons through the window.  

I think SOCOM's consideration is on gas masks.  If that's it their height makes sense, if not their height just sucks all around.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The LT levers are adjustable and and NOT MIM. The choice is simple to me.

C4

Another way to phrase it is ARMS mounts don't need adjustment, and LaRue was forced to have an adjustible system to avoid copying ARMS's clever system which has a leaf spring in it.

The people who bitch about ARMS being too tight or too loose probably are not buying decent rail systems. I have never had a problem with ARMS on my Colt or KAC rails.

Anyway, I don't know if what I said is true, but I have a feeling that there is nothing wrong with ARMS, and I am suspicious of people claiming that the military often turns down the best stuff because of politics. I think the military is pretty smart and tends to get the best stuff.

I have also not seen a lot of people posting that their ARMS lever broke.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:42:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
MIM? Forgive my ignorance!

Metal Injection Molded, which is a fancy way of saying CAST.

MIM and casting were two different processes I thought.  I thought MIM used powdered/sintered metal and applied heat, pressure and maybe some binder, where casting used molten metal from the start.

There's a lot of cast stuff within the gun industry and other industries that have tremendous reputations for strength.  Anyone ever heard of Sturm Ruger?  All their stuff is cast and they have one of the best reputations for strength going.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The LT levers are adjustable and and NOT MIM. The choice is simple to me.

C4

Another way to phrase it is ARMS mounts don't need adjustment, and LaRue was forced to have an adjustible system to avoid copying ARMS's clever system which has a leaf spring in it.

You think having the ability to adjust to any spec rail w/ a repeat zero is a bad thing? Just my experience.. An older RRA upper, my arms Lever wouldnt close. The same mount was loose on my Colt 6920 & KAS RAS, but fit well on Bushmaster. Funny thing, my Larue would fit all of the above. W/ the same tension even. Yeah, being able to adapt is a bad quality.

The people who bitch about ARMS being too tight or too loose probably are not buying decent rail systems. I have never had a problem with ARMS on my Colt or KAC rails.

See above. ARMS did not fit 3/4 of my rifles. All different & quality manufactures. To adjust tension on a Larue mount you turn the nut. On the ARMS system I had to use a blob of solder to keep proper tension.

Anyway, I don't know if what I said is true, but I have a feeling that there is nothing wrong with ARMS, and I am suspicious of people claiming that the military often turns down the best stuff because of politics. I think the military is pretty smart and tends to get the best stuff.

I see to many Mil. personal spending own money to procure gear. If the issue stuff was that great they wouldnt be spending own bucks. I beleive anyone w/ Mil experience w/ argue your point & I'll leave it up to them.

I have also not seen a lot of people posting that their ARMS lever broke.

I have only seen two different broken mounts, both examples were on the web. No personal experience breaking levers.

ARMS is the best & the MIL. is smart & gets the best stuff...(We are talking the US mil., correct?) I've heard it all now! -Justin

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Every aspect of the 553 is based on a series of requested changes of the model 552 by the U.S. government contracting authority right down to the 7mm increase in height, the color, the QD levers, the 66-foot waterproofing and even the laser engraved bar code and serial number.  The 553 was developed for a military contract to certain specifications.  No changes were made that were not required.  It was designed and developed at the request of the contracting authority (CRANE).  It is also being offered to the commercial market (at least in the U.S.) for those who want it.  Some will like its features, others will not.  Like it or not, all the features you see on it were specified for the military contract.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top