Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#1]
MSC: They do break packages. I order stuff from them all the time and I keep getting 100-count boxes with 80 in them. Then 20 later from somehwere else. They do prefer the minimum order qty, though.

I left a message with my machinist to see if he can pop out some spacers in black for you guys. Probably in small counts would be about 50 cents or less.  And they wouldn't be silver like the MSC zinc plated ones.  He can do steel or stainless or aluminum or plastic or brass or whatever.

Here I ordered a bunch of new levers and y'all have almost cleared out the stock that I don't even have yet!  I have to order more again!  (Not that I'm complaining, nosirree, not me...just surprised).
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#2]
ok guys, i rec'd all my stuff from MSC today.  btw, i ordered it yesterday afternoon.

indeed, i stand corrected --> ordering 1 spacer nets you 1 spacer, NOT 25.
i ordered and rec'd a stainless steel spacer.

anyway, that's the story with MSC.   YMMV with other vendors etc.

so the CLONE-LOC on my end is complete.  thanks to all for the above info.
still can't beat it for a total outlay of, drum roll please... $6.34 including UPS shipping!!!

ar-jedi

edited:
i forgot to mention one thing.  order the stuff from T-nut above.  i was impatient and starting clicking before realizing how switched on Mr T-nut was.  perhapes T-nut can make us up a "package" consisting of one each of the handle and SS spacer, and give it a unique part number so this thing can move forward in qty.

Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]
tagged - thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i forgot to mention one thing.  order the stuff from T-nut above.  i was impatient and starting clicking before realizing how switched on Mr T-nut was.  perhapes T-nut can make us up a "package" consisting of one each of the handle and SS spacer, and give it a unique part number so this thing can move forward in qty.

I think I can... I think I can... I think I will...

I'll make a category for you guys just for grins, with different options for levers that should work (having never seen what you guys are actually doing).  I'll work on the spacer issue too.

Too bad y'all don't own table saws too! hat
edit:
I made a new category called AR15 Pod Loc, put the common levers you guys are looking at in there.  Since the sale price for the levers ends before January, I added a coupon code you guys can use to get 15% off on them starting Jan 1. Use the following code:

AR15PL1

The coupon is good all next year.
If they go on sale again, the coupon won't work, but the sale price will probably be better anyway.  If y'all want to see other things in that category, let me know.

(edited again to make correct coupon code)
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Too bad y'all don't own table saws too! (maybe you do, what do I know...)

T-nut,
i am the biggest tool whore you will ever meet.  

at one point i had a three phase 5HP powermatic 66.
my shop benchtop looks like an ad for "stars of woodworking" magazine.
as you know, it's the bits and blades that kill you.  a friend of mine once asked me to estimate what i had spent in router bits, shaper cutters, rip and crosscut blades, and other sharp things.  i was completely embarrassed by the answer.  it's like ammo; you *never* really have enough.

even my wife has figured out what to give me for xmas:
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/motomisc/xmas03-hitachi-compound-miter-saw_sm.jpg

any other questions?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#6]
can't see the pics ar-jedi.

Mr NUT (that's how we call u now :) ), I ordered 4 handles the other day (ship to CA). I'll be interetsed by those spacers. Maybe u can wait to have them and ship evrything in the same box ?
thanks

Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
can't see the pics ar-jedi.

hmmm, anyone else *not* see two big pics in my MSC post above?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll make a category for you guys just for grins, with different options for levers that should work (having never seen what you guys are actually doing).  I'll work on the spacer issue too.

Too bad y'all don't own table saws too! (maybe you do, what do I know...)

here is the setup we are working on:

Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll make a category for you guys just for grins, with different options for levers that should work (having never seen what you guys are actually doing).

Actually, we are all working on something called an "SPR". Do you carry any of those for under $20?
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#11]
heck yeah, it will be under 10 bux total shipping included :)
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Actually, we are all working on something called an "SPR". Do you carry any of those for under $20?

LoL x 10^9  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#13]
SPR=Pod Loc?
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
SPR=Pod Loc?

No, I was begin facetious. An SPR is a highly accurized AR15 that a lot of folks drool over. I think they can be had for $2500 or so?

BTW, though, a lot of guys here need things like thumb screws for various types of mounts on their rifles, to hold optics, lights, what not. Do you carry anything like that?
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SPR=Pod Loc?

No, I was begin facetious. An SPR is a highly accurized AR15 that a lot of folks drool over. I think they can be had for $2500 or so?

BTW, though, a lot of guys here need things like thumb screws for various types of mounts on their rifles, to hold optics, lights, what not. Do you carry anything like that?

Can get them, can make them even cheaper. All I need are specs and I can find/make what is needed.  Just let me know. Email is good.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Jeff:
thanks for making us our own category :)...when do u think u can get the spacers ?
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Jeff:
thanks for making us our own category :)...when do u think u can get the spacers ?

It depends on my machinist, who is out for the holiday. I'll find out next week.  It should only take him a day to spit out a couple hundred, unplated. But that's if he has the raw stock. Plating takes a few days.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#18]
T-Nut, you may want to change "pod loc" to "bipod locking lever" or something along those lines.  I think "Pod Loc" MAY, emphasis on MAY, be a copyrighted term.  I'm not sure, and I'd hate to see you get into any sort legal trouble.....

And do these not look extremely familiar??  www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1506  I swear all they did was take the $3 lever and make a spacer to use on the Harris bipod, then upcharged it by $20....

Link Posted: 12/30/2004 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#19]
tagged!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Gotta love cheapness Yankee Ingenuity

Too bad I already have the $$ real version n my bipod.  Oh well, excuse to buy another
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I just got my confirmed invoice from MSC for the spacers (NOT T-NUTS!)  My 4 spacers that cost me $5.92 has ballooned to $16.28.  They jacked me $9.05 for shipping (admittedly it is 2nd Day Air, see below) and $1.31 for tax.  The shipping is outrageous for 4 little spacers that will fit in a padded envelope and cost MAYBE $1 to ship First Class (and get here almost as fast!)  Also, MSC doesn't operate ANY locations in WA, so why am I being charged sales tax??  This is an interstate "internet or mail order" which is exempt from sales tax.  

I just checked my tracking number, and for some reason, they shipped them 2nd Day Air!  I was not given a choice at checkout for shipping options, and no way would I have selected to pay that much just to get them in 2 days.....

So just be aware of what might happen if you order from MSC.  My cheap "pod-loc" just went up substantially in price due to shipping.  They are now costing me $7.41 each, which is still WAY cheaper than the "real" pod-loc, but I hate getting jacked by companies like this....
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
 The shipping is outrageous for 4 little spacers that will fit in a padded envelope and cost MAYBE $1 to ship First Class (and get here almost as fast!)  Also, MSC doesn't operate ANY locations in WA, so why am I being charged sales tax??  This is an interstate "internet or mail order" which is exempt from sales tax.  

It would be 60 cents. harge
Okay, now my reason for the post:
At the suggestion of a couple you fellas, I've decided it best not to reference Pod-Loc, but come up with some other name, just for fun.  To make it interesting, you guys submit your ideas to me, I'll pick the best, and whoever comes up with the win gets a trio of free levers, shipped.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 3:43:45 AM EDT
[#24]
The T-Nut Swiveloc

or

The T-Nut Econo-Loc

SAB
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 3:54:50 AM EDT
[#25]
tagged
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#26]
how about "The new and improved, ar15.com inspired, cheaper than the original pod-loc (tm) replacement ratcheting harris bi-pod locking thingy"

or maybe "torgue loc"

or have some ego

the "t-nut loc" trust me, we will know what it is.

a rose by any other name....

TXL

btw, ordered 2 today, no problems on shipping dates, so no worry.

Link Posted: 12/31/2004 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
how about "The new and improved, ar15.com inspired, cheaper than the original pod-loc (tm) replacement ratcheting harris bi-pod locking thingy"

or maybe "torgue loc"

or have some ego

the "t-nut loc" trust me, we will know what it is.

a rose by any other name....

TXL

btw, ordered 2 today, no problems on shipping dates, so no worry.

Hmmmm, the TNIAR15-CTO-RH-BLT! That's it!
Well, except people might think they will get a B-L-T, with or without mayo. his: Don't order today. Wait until tomorrow so y'all can use the coupon, as the sale prices actually expired at midnight last night, not midnight tonight. Save me some labor editing orders.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#28]
The Swivelator
The T-Nut Lock
The T-Nutter
The BSL (Bipod swivel lock)
The Lever Actuated Swivel Stabilization Improvement, Enhanced (LASSIE)
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Bipod Anti-Tilt Lock or Bipod Anti-Tilt Lever.

Package the lever and spacer together and call it the BATL Pack.

Find a way to throw the word "Tactical" on the package you'll sell millions!!!

CHRIS
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Not another "is it midnight tonight, or tomorrow night!?!"
Didn't we just get over one of these?  

How 'bout: Tac-Loc?

happy new year!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Tactical Loc or T-nut Tactical Loc: TTL
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#32]
tag

Link Posted: 12/31/2004 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Hahahaha.

Now we know Pod-Lok's profit margin.

Link Posted: 1/1/2005 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Hahahaha.

honest,But alas, I don't.
Tijuana, here I come.

My guess is they get 900% on their investment at $20 sales.  I don't know exactly which lever they use either, it could be Chinese, giving them even 1000%.  Either way, they found a nick and filled it with cache. Oops, niche and cash.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Tagged for later perusal.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#36]
http://t-nuts.com/index.php/cPath/73

Handles all made raedy to roll!
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#37]
My four Faux Pas locs came in today.The work great!!!Wish I new sooner.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hahahaha.

To be honest, I wish I was operating in that margin! Woohoo! Tahiti, here I come!
But alas, I don't.
Tijuana, here I come.

My guess is they get 900% on their investment at $20 sales.  I don't know exactly which lever they use either, it could be Chinese, giving them even 1000%.  Either way, they found a nick and filled it with cache. Oops, niche and cash.

Even at 1000% they are selling $20 products. They would have to sell some serious weight to make a livable income. I suspect the guy at Pod-Lock has a real job outside of bipod stuff.

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Even at 1000% they are selling $20 products. They would have to sell some serious weight to make a livable income. I suspect the guy at Pod-Lock has a real job outside of bipod stuff.

I do too, but hesitate to say whay it is. heEither way, that markup is great for him, but not for the consumer. I'm a consumer. Some "Golden Rule" may apply here....
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Either way, that markup is great for him, but not for the consumer. I'm a consumer. Some "Golden Rule" may apply here....

I wouldn't go that far. It's capitalism, charge what the conomy will bear. If the customers are happy and see the value then it's all good. In this case, the consumers just figured out what he's paying and where to get it and now the market will no longer bear his price.

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I wouldn't go that far. It's capitalism, charge what the conomy will bear. If the customers are happy and see the value then it's all good. In this case, the consumers just figured out what he's paying and where to get it and now the market will no longer bear his price.

Actually, I learned more about the maker of the Pod-Loc, more than I knew before, and considering all the extra work involved (marketing, packaging, advertising, research, etc), whatever his price is is probably good enough (inline with what was said above).
Now, I'm not in the "bipod lock" business, nor do I advertise, I'm just a distributor of the same things the Pod-Loc is made of (well, 50%--the lever).  If I had to do all the same things as the Pod-Loc maker, I'd have to charge more too. on me, I didn't even think about those extra costs ealier.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#43]

fyi, the DIY "clone-loc" JUST PLAIN WORKS!!!

regards, and a HUGE thanks to everyone who chipped in info above.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#44]
no spacer right ? just the handle ?

Tnut: did u start shipping ?

thanks !!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#45]
You can also buy the lever from Reid Tool and Supply, Grainger, McMaster, etc......

I try to tell everyone I see to save them $$$$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hahahaha.

To be honest, I wish I was operating in that margin! Woohoo! Tahiti, here I come!
But alas, I don't.
Tijuana, here I come.

I believe the originator has a .MIL contract.  Does this answer any questions?

Want to buy a toilet seat?

I have had one on my Harris for several years.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#47]

exocet,
i *think* your question was directed at my last post with the pics...
the spacer is there, i bought a stainless steel one from MSC, pn#67713503.

harris model BRM-S bipod mod instructions:
+ unload rifle and double check that it is indeed unloaded.
+ take bipod off rifle.
+ unscrew the 1/4" nut that holds the knurled knob on.  there is loctite on the threads -- initially it will be fairly difficult to get off.  you can use a 1/4" socket or even a power screwdriver bit holder (the 1/4" hex holder designed for drywall bits works fine).  do not use "something close" since the loctite has a pretty good grip on that nut, and you *definitely* don't want to round that nut's hex head.
+ unscrew the knurled knob; again, the loctite will make things a bit difficult.  screw knurled knob back on and back off a few times to help clear out remaining loctite.  
+ take knurled knob & 1/4" hex nut and put them in you AR15 junk box.
+ drop new spacer on.
+ screw new handle on.  be abso-frickin'-lutely sure that it is square with the post so you don't crap the post threads up.  it seems it would very easy to cross thread the handle onto the post because of several factors, the predominant one being that the post has no taper at the free end and therefore requires full thread engagement right from the get-go.  also, the post seems to be at the upper limit of its size, and the handle seems to be at the lower limit.  so the threads of the post and the handle will engage with quite a bit of intimacy, or at least mine did.  go slowly and make sure you are not hosing up the threads.
+ mount bipod, go to range, point rifle in proper and safe direction, and start shooting.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#48]
very nice!

-LS
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
exocet,
i *think* your question was directed at my last post with the pics...
the spacer is there, i bought a stainless steel one from MSC, pn#67713503.

harris model BRM-S bipod mod instructions:
+ unload rifle and double check that it is indeed unloaded.
+ take bipod off rifle.
+ unscrew the 1/4" nut that holds the knurled knob on.  there is loctite on the threads -- initially it will be fairly difficult to get off.  you can use a 1/4" socket or even a power screwdriver bit holder (the 1/4" hex holder designed for drywall bits works fine).  do not use "something close" since the loctite has a pretty good grip on that nut, and you *definitely* don't want to round that nut's hex head.
+ unscrew the knurled knob; again, the loctite will make things a bit difficult.  screw knurled knob back on and back off a few times to help clear out remaining loctite.  
+ take knurled knob & 1/4" hex nut and put them in you AR15 junk box.
+ drop new spacer on.
+ screw new handle on.  be abso-frickin'-lutely sure that it is square with the post so you don't crap the post threads up.  it seems it would very easy to cross thread the handle onto the post because of several factors, the predominant one being that the post has no taper at the free end and therefore requires full thread engagement right from the get-go.  also, the post seems to be at the upper limit of its size, and the handle seems to be at the lower limit.  so the threads of the post and the handle will engage with quite a bit of intimacy, or at least mine did.  go slowly and make sure you are not hosing up the threads.
+ mount bipod, go to range, point rifle in proper and safe direction, and start shooting.

ar-jedi

thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
no spacer right ? just the handle ?

Tnut: did u start shipping ?

thanks !!!

Not yet. Called the manufacturer to see why my box hasn't arrived, they didn't ship it until Monday. I placed the order last week, and they closed their shipping on the day I ordered them, and they didn't tell me. They were closed the last three days last week for the holiday.hI also called the company that makes the spacers sold by MSC, and I can get them for you guys at about half the cost of MSC, in black (not silver like MSC), but they said they are out of stock (even though their quote person emailed me that they were in stock).  I'll get some on order, but until then I'll try to find something to fill in.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top