Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]
mr_wilson,
I accept your apology ;)
I (we) did take the time to research all over this site. But there was no definitive answer. Many opinions but no definitive answer as we now all have. And judging by the number of similar questions and posts I was not alone.

As for my comment. I apologize. I should have made my comment more clear. What I should have said was that "Based on comments and recommendations here" the Sierra seems to not be preferred. As I stated numerous posters here that seem to be fairly knowledgeable were the ones from whom I got that opinion. So if you disagree they are the ones to take to task.

I assumed your comments were directed to me since you posted my quote and responded to it. Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Troy,
You listed the Winchester Q3131 as being seconds.

Is this correct?

TIA

Seydou

Yes.  Winchester, just like Federal/Lake City, is bound by their contract with the US Gov to sell 100% of the Grade 1 ammo to the US military (who is still falling behind despite full output from both contractors).  That means that what we get is not Grade 1 ammo.  That's usually not a big problem, as Grade 2 ammo is normally just fine, and was downgraded for some very minor reason.  It's the Grade 3 ammo that's bad (Federal "PD" loads, for example).

-Troy

Thanks.

Seydou
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]
XSentinal,  I probably kind of took a highbrow tone with you too.  For that, I apologize.  I do want to help.  It just seemed like you got a case of "paralysis of analysis".  It's cool that other guys take a deep interest in this type of discussion and we welcome you.  You seem like a very stand up guy and I like how you talked to mr.wilson.  He's a prickly pear all the time.  It's very little I see him post without some snide remark.  Sometimes we just get used to each other.  Although he rubs me the wrong way alot too.  And as you can see, he's not always correct.  However, I do agree with him that the 77's are a very good choice.  Although I've never shot anyone or anything with them.  But it has positive reports in testing and in real life.  I would not feel undergunned with it.  The 75's have shown they have a shorter "neck" before yawing and fragmenting, making them more desirable.  I say a little bit a depth before yawing is not that big of a deal.  I would like to have the best of the best but for me, price is a big issue.   Which is why I settled on the 68's as my GP load.  I think they would perform fine and  right now I can buy them for $15.99 a box locally.  My preferred load would be the 77 grain 5.56 loads from black hills, because that's what the military uses . There is no perfect answer as to which is the best.  Troy's list is as close as you're going to get but other factors may come into play for you personally.   And remember, post pics of your rig and your groups when you get some range reports!!!!!!

Be safe and shoot straight.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
While there are certainly slight differences in shape between the Nosler, Sierra, and Hornady 75-77gr bullets (and 68-69gr bullets), they are all correctly called JHP, JHP-BT, JHP Match, or OTM type bullets.

So, all these names, are for the same exact bullet?
-Troy

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:25:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Troy,
Thank you once again for that clarification and recommendations. I appreciate the time you have taken and thoughts shared.

JJREA,
Thank you. Apology accepted and I (and others) really do appreciate all the input. This really does help to make this the definitive answer for this often asked question.

A96HondaAccordEX,
No, I don't think that is what he said. I think what he is saying is that all those names are for the same "style" bullet. That being a bullet with a small opening in the front. But not that they are all necessarily of the "exact" same construction. If I am wrong someone will point it out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:35:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Are Q3131A rounds considered "seconds?"
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Troy.  I'm going to try some of these BH 75gr "MHP".  See if my rifles like them.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top