Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

UPS dropped this off a couple of days ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/borderguy/VacaandScenePoof149.jpg

O.M.G.

How much $? I assume you got it straight from Hornady?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:48:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Just thinking about how much that set you back makes me want to
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just thinking about how much that set you back makes me want to

+1  
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
UPS dropped this off a couple of days ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/borderguy/VacaandScenePoof149.jpg

Now that's what I call Christmas in August!  
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you guys think the 5.56 Hornady 75 gr will work ok with a 1/9 16" barrel?

AT SHTF range it will

not like a civi will shoot over 50Y

True, but if you have access to 80 acres in VT you do.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:47:12 AM EDT
[#6]
50 yards is close to hand thrown Molotov range.  Shoot'em before they get that close if you can justify it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#7]
So does this load perform better than the SSA MK262 clone or MK262 in general?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Are you talking accuracy or terminal ballistics?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:37:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Both, overall performance.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 75gr T2 bullet has the best terminal ballistics for .223/5.56
ammunition.  I don't have any .223 rifles capable of match-like
accuracy, but from what I gather reading here, the accuracy differences
between mk262 clones and the 75gr Hornady varies by rifle.  But it's
pretty damn close.  They're both really accurate.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The 75gr T2 bullet has the best terminal ballistics for .223/5.56 ammunition.  I don't have any .223 rifles capable of match-like accuracy, but from what I gather reading here, the accuracy differences between mk262 clones and the 75gr Hornady varies by rifle.  But it's pretty damn close.  They're both really accurate.

I'm going to shoot 10 rounds this weekend, (200yrds) ill see how it does on my stag with heavy 24" 1/8 barrel. Hope to test it at ~500yrds at some point.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmm, i was not impressed. Though it was still great I was sighting a new scope so i shot about 30 rounds of  Federal American Eagle .223 55gr to sight it in and got the last 10 shots down to about 1/2 inch group at 50 yards. Changed to the 5.56 Hornady 75 gr TAP and was at 1 1/2 inch group with 10 shots on a new target.

Ill have to try it at 200 yrds next.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Hmm, i was not impressed. Though it was still great I was sighting a new scope so i shot about 30 rounds of  Federal American Eagle .223 55gr to sight it in and got the last 10 shots down to about 1/2 inch group at 50 yards. Changed to the 5.56 Hornady 75 gr TAP and was at 1 1/2 inch group with 10 shots on a new target.

1/9 twist rifle I presume?

Shoot a few rounds at 100-200 and see if they're starting to keyhole, I bet they are.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shoot a few rounds at 100-200 and see if they're starting to keyhole, I bet they are.

1/8 24" heavy barrel. Maybe the extra distance is where this may level out. There was a minor breeze today too, but that was the case with the other rounds too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

1/8 24" heavy barrel. Maybe the extra distance is where this may level out. There was a minor breeze today too, but that was the case with the other rounds too.

Odd. That's 3 MOA, definitely not what this ammo is typically capable of. Wind probably wasn't much of a factor since a 10Mph crosswind at 100 yards only drifts a 75gr bullet ~0.65 inches.

Any other rifles to try it in? It's possible that that barrel/bolt combo just wont shoot that ammo. Maybe excessive head space and the full 5.56 loading of TAP messed with things.

Who makes your barrel, barrel free floated, what optic?

Only other thing is did you do your part shooting (two stage trigger, full rest, breaks in between each shot)? I'm assuming you did since your other groups with "bulk" ammo weren't bad.

If you have the chance, I'd shoot again at 100 yards with a difference rifle and then again with the same rifle. 8-10 rounds each. It stinks though since TAP is so expensive. At least it'll still perform well in a bad guy.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Odd. That's 3 MOA, definitely not what this ammo is typically capable of. Wind probably wasn't much of a factor since a 10Mph crosswind at 100 yards only drifts a 75gr bullet ~0.65 inches.

Any other rifles to try it in? It's possible that that barrel/bolt combo just wont shoot that ammo. Maybe excessive head space and the full 5.56 loading of TAP messed with things.

Only other thing is did you do your part shooting (two stage trigger, full rest, breaks in between each shot)? I'm assuming you did since your other groups with "bulk" ammo weren't bad.

If you have the chance, I'd shoot again at 100 yards with a difference rifle and then again with the same rifle. 8-10 rounds each. It stinks though since TAP is so expensive. At least it'll still perform well in a bad guy.

Just got a 16" BCM with just irons. Will be breaking that baby in over the next week and see how it does with the TAP. The heavy 24" 1/8 is a stag arms with a 6x24 scope. Ill shoot another round at 100 yrds with both when i can. Not easy finding a 100yrd range in CT, but i have 80 acres i can use in VT.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Just got a 16" BCM with just irons. Will be breaking that baby in over the next week and see how it does with the TAP. The heavy 24" 1/8 is a stag arms with a 6x24 scope. Ill shoot another round at 100 yrds with both when i can. Not easy finding a 100yrd range in CT, but i have 80 acres i can use in VT.

Slap the scope on the BCM and try shooting groups with that. Chances are your stag just doesn't like it, it happens unfortunately. Does the stag shoot other 75gr or 77gr bullets well? Use a good rest if possible.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:47:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Slap the scope on the BCM and try shooting groups with that. Chances are your stag just doesn't like it, it happens unfortunately. Does the stag shoot other 75gr or 77gr bullets well? Use a good rest if possible.

The TAP was the first 75-77 grain i have shot with it, 62 grain no problem. May just have been an oddity, or ME.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:52:17 AM EDT
[#20]
If this ammo is not at moa or below through a 1/7th than something is wrong with the shooter or the gun cause this is the most accurate round I shoot through ARs but I only own 1/7ths so I can comment or speak on its performance through other twists.  

I so often hear folks talk about shooting like 10-20rds of T2 in a session and then give an accuracy or otherwise opinion on it.....I know this stuff is high as balls on a giraffe but you either have to buy it and shoot it like normal quality ammo or move on to something that you can afford to not only load a mag or two with but practice at the range with, and in my case enjoy grouping with.

This stuff is only awesome and worth it when you are not sweating the cost of every bang
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If this ammo is not at moa or below through a 1/7th than something is wrong with the shooter or the gun cause this is the most accurate round I shoot through ARs but I only own 1/7ths so I can comment or speak on its performance through other twists.  

I so often hear folks talk about shooting like 10-20rds of T2 in a session and then give an accuracy or otherwise opinion on it.....I know this stuff is high as balls on a giraffe but you either have to buy it and shoot it like normal quality ammo or move on to something that you can afford to not only load a mag or two with but practice at the range with, and in my case enjoy grouping with.

This stuff is only awesome and worth it when you are not sweating the cost of every bang

lol, maybe i was shaking at over $1 a shot.

However i agree, my 10 shots of this stuff is in no way putting it down, i just need to shoot it more.

My opinion for 10 shots is its ok, but as we all know if you gain more experience with something its true colors will shine through, good or bad. Ill defiantly be buying more, its much better than most others i have shot, and it was still consistent.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#22]
How will this ammo compare with the .223 75g training with point of aim point of impact?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How will this ammo compare with the .223 75g training with point of aim point of impact?

That difference IMO is where the kind of gun, twist rate, and shooter really come in. .223 in a 5.56 i assume?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's different - different enough to need to be re-zero'd.

The training stuff more closely matches the standard "223" TAP stuff, NOT the 5.56.  The extra horsepower behind the 5.56 TAP sends it to a different POI.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's different - different enough to need to be re-zero'd.

The training stuff more closely matches the standard "223" TAP stuff, NOT the 5.56.  The extra horsepower behind the 5.56 TAP sends it to a different POI.

Yup. There is quite a difference in velocity.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Just got around to testing 10 rounds at 25 yards. Worked fine in my 2 AR's both 1:7
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#27]
All gone.

Now what to get?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top