BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looks like the case is welded into the chamber?  I can't believe a 309 caliber bullet was swaged down enough to pass through a .224 bore. Are you absolutely sure it was a 300 blk and not a overcharged 5.56mm?

I'm in this boat.  No way did a .308 get swaged down to .223 unless it was made of pine or wet toilet paper.

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
We had something like this happen at a local range.

A guy chambered a .308 in a .270 Win, and pulled the trigger...felt insane recoil, couldn't get the bolt open.

My buddy, who is a rangemaster there, took a mallet to the bolt to get it open, and out came a .308-.270 case.  The neck filled into the shoulder of the .270 chamber, so that there was just a shoulder and mouth-no more neck, and it DID send the bullet downrange.

Forcing a .30 cal pill through a .224 bore is plain insane.  I'm surprised that didn't major kaboom the blaster.

Probably the main thing that saved the gun was the lower charge weight of the blackout.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad you are OK.  Count your blessings as it could have turned out much worse for you.

I had a similar "incident" happen a few weeks ago.  I was showing friends of mine my Cobra derringer.  I thought I grabbed the .22 WMR ammo but I didn't.  What I did grab was my CCI .22 LR high velocity ammo!  I put one round in each chamber and it "popped" on each pull of the trigger.  It should have gone BANG!  but didn't.  Opened the derringer up and the shells were "expanded" to .22 WMR size with splits in the cases!  I knew right away what I'd done!  I then verified that the .22 WMR barrel was not foweled, cleared all personnel off my range, and fired six rounds of .22 WMR sucessfully through it.

Trust me, I was ASHAMED of myself for not being more careful!

I took the hunter safety course with my then 16 year old son (he's 30 now).  The instructors had demestration firearms that had every imaginable bad thing done to them.  One was a 700 BDL in 7 mm that had a HUGE buldge in it from a plug in the barrel!  Shotguns with Porky Pig ends on the barrel.  Rifles with the breech area opened up.  All kinds of blown up firearms for all differenent reasons:  obstructions, double powder loads, no powder + the next round that had powder = blown up barrel!, bolt lugs blown off, etc.  VERY enlightening!
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
As for segregating the .223 Rem rounds from the 300 AAC Blackout rounds from the wrong firearm, I don’t know how you could do it without “wasting” magazines.

IMHO, the only way I could keep them straight is to NOT open any of another caliber box of rounds till that weapon was in front of me.  EX:  shooting AR15 in .223 Rem.  ONLY boxes of rounds with .223 Rem would be accessible.  NO OTHER CALIBER ROUNDS WOULD BE IN OR NEAR THE AREA OF THE .223 Rem weapon!
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:40:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm glad you weren't seriosly hurt.  I've made other mistakes, but not that one.

Put some colored tape on any mag loaded with .300BLK if you're going to shoot a similar gun in a different chambering.

mbogo
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like it blew the lead out of the  bullet leaving the jacket, case looks a little thick or is it just an optical illusion?
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Dacapster
It looks like he was using 125 TNT which have a closed base -so pushing the lead through the bullet not happening. I also just noticed this was a Piston AR -probably why it did do more damge as the pressue was vented back into the action through the gas tube.   I wonder what the inside of the piston looks like?
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:21:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad you are okay sir.  I suppose its a kudos to the platform in its ability to take that abuse and not explode, other than the plastic magazine blowing apart the rifle did well to contain everything and not cause you considerable harm.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dacapster
It looks like he was using 125 TNT which have a closed base -so pushing the lead through the bullet not happening. I also just noticed this was a Piston AR -probably why it did do more damge as the pressue was vented back into the action through the gas tube.   I wonder what the inside of the piston looks like?

Per the OP, it was a 125gr SMK.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Holy crap you guys be careful out there.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#12]
That was also my general understanding before this event. After I picked up the other four 300 BLK rounds that were blown onto the range floor, I now think otherwise. Regardless, you were very lucky.

On another note, I dropped a 5.56 round into the chamber to see how far it would go - it stopped at the shoulder. I think this barrel will be relegated to the shelf as a conversation piece.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn, good to see your didn't get screwed up bad. It could have been much worse.

Those receivers are tough!
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 6:52:25 AM EDT
[#15]

THIS!

Quoted:
There were several questions about parts of this gun still being OK.  Just in case you need to have some common sense talked into you...

Don't be a fool!  That upper is trash!  Nothing there is worth trusting again after being subjected to those kinds of pressures.  You may not see a new weakness before the gun goes full KABOOM.  It is far better to make yourself a display to your mistake and buy a new upper!

Thanks for sharing....
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 7:06:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Id like to see the full case that got pushed from the barrel. Interesting..
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Just another reason not to get a 556 upper for my 300 AR!
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#18]
WOW glad your OK
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#19]
The new arfcom method of HP testing !
WoW!!!

Just bustin yer chops O.P., glad you weren't seriously hurt and way cool of you to post about it. By chance if we meet I'll buy you a beer.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#20]
If we meet I will buy you new underwear.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#21]
yikes!
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Scary stuff.

I have seen photos of the aftermath of a 308 down a 25-06 barrel, but .224 bore is really small.
Amazing.
Did it bulge the barrel ??

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

some people really need to evaluate what hobbies they partake in.

Ugghh. Karma is going to be a bitch.

Glad you are ok OP. This post is a good reminder for us all. Shit happens.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it certainly can happen. I too am very glad the OP was not injured more severely, and was considerate enough to share his experience.

But, karma or not, I have to sorta side with m4hk33 on this. If you're shooting 5.56 and .300 BLK together, why, oh why would you just slap in a magazine without looking to see which ammo was in the mag???
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it certainly can happen. I too am very glad the OP was not injured more severely, and was considerate enough to share his experience.

But, karma or not, I have to sorta side with m4hk33 on this. If you're shooting 5.56 and .300 BLK together, why, oh why would you just slap in a magazine without looking to see which ammo was in the mag???

I put green electrical tape over the mag opening on all of my 300 black magazines, forces me to stop,look and remove the tape. it's an easy mistake... many make it, few admit it.  Friend of mine painted OSHA orange on all of his 300 Black mags after doing this exact thing,only difference was his FTF? he was lucky!!  plenty of techniques to help avoid this.

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Id say the OP was lucky it was not loaded with a Barnes bullet.
Personally I try to avoid dangerous cross chamber round combinations.

Link Posted: 9/23/2012 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Hmm.  I may buy some more .308 PMAGs and have separate .308 and .260 mags from now on....

Granted, the 308 won't chamber, and the .264 bullet won't cause excess pressure..  Still don't want to tumble a .264 projo down a .308 hole
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hmm.  I may buy some more .308 PMAGs and have separate .308 and .260 mags from now on....

Perhaps it should be noted that the OP took this approach.  He "always" loaded .300 BLK ammo in Lancer mags so as to know which is which.  He loaded .223 in a TangoDown mag...except for the one time when he put .300 BLK ammo in it.  Oops!
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There were several questions about parts of this gun still being OK.  Just in case you need to have some common sense talked into you...

Don't be a fool!  That upper is trash!  Nothing there is worth trusting again after being subjected to those kinds of pressures.  You may not see a new weakness before the gun goes full KABOOM.  It is far better to make yourself a display to your mistake and buy a new upper!

I totally agree. The OP got off lucky with a dinged up arm,to risk reusing any critical parts would just be silly.

I also am happy the OP is more or less ok and is taking the time to warn us

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I would also caution anyone heading out to the range to be extra cautious when shooting with friends. You may personally have some method or habit to get the right ammo into only the right guns but trust that shooting buddies will do the wrong thing if you let them.

The deal I am working to find a solution to is my 45/70s. I have a Marlin 1895 which will take some stout loads but I also have several trapdoors
that would most certainly grenade with the Marlin loads
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks like the case is welded into the chamber?  I can't believe a 309 caliber bullet was swaged down enough to pass through a .224 bore. Are you absolutely sure it was a 300 blk and not a overcharged 5.56mm?

This is how you can tell and overcharged 556 in a piston gun with do very little to the chamber area, maybe the extractor and a blown primer the extra pressure is set down the barrel and soaked up in the piston system teh gas is not sent back into the reciever.
In this case the extra pressure was spent in the chamber bolt, area of the gun and out the magazine well through the FP hole. since the bore was basically plugged as the pressure built.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Swatbwana,
In this case, with the 30 cal bullet jammed into the lead of the chamber at the time of ignition, no gas could reach the gas port to either drive a piston or flow to the BCG in the receiver.  I think everything happened and it was "all over" by the time the swaged-down bullet passed the gas port.  Since the design of the AR 15 largely contains the gas pressure within the BCG or the piston/cylinder system, the aluminum receiver should not be deformed.  Or do I not understand how these things work...
FWIW, I seem to remember P. O. Ackley's experiments with oversized bullets indicated that it really did not take that much pressure to swage the bullet down.  Of course he was dropping from 30 cal to 6.5mm in a Jap barrel rechambered to 30-06.  Going down to .223 might require a bit more...
Would like to know what velocity was reached.....
If nothing else is learned, we now know something else to watch out for.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

damn

in before the 300 blackout haters

Why hate on the 300 blk...  Put the wrong ammo in the wrong gun, things can happen...

No offense to the OP, but I blame him, not what was in his hands...  Mistakes happen, glad he wasn't injured more seriously, learn take a few more precautions and move on....

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for reminding us that complacency kills.

Note to self, watch out for really "good" deal on an upper and barrel in the Equipment Exchange.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#35]
I try my best to only load mags at the range for the gun that is on the shooting table.  Sometimes i do pre-load mags for shooting in the woods.  To date i havent put 300 in my 5.56 but the one time i almost did i caught myself because of the weight difference of a loaded mag.  I ALWAYS except that one time pop the pmag top and visually inspect, except that one time, and knowing the weight of the loaded mag saved my bacon.  Knock on wood that this method will save me in future possible mistakes.

OP: Sorry about your mistake, its nearly happened to me and i can almost relate.  I currently dont mark my mags and use Pmags or milsurp with magpul rebuilds, this definately is making me think about the spray paint method posted earlier.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#36]
I have to admidt a year por so ago, I had pre-loaded a bunch of mags with 9mm and .40 for a few glocks and 9mm carbines I was shooting and I accidentally did put 9mm rounds though my G35....  Fired, hit the target, but would not cycle it...  Put 3 rounds through it and after havign to manually cycle it the 3rd time, I was like WTF, this thing never malfunctions...  Dropped the mag and was like OHHH ....

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:48:03 AM EDT
[#37]
OP - thanks very much for posting this; I think it takes a lot of integrity to man up & let others benefit from what happened.  

As a service, I posted a link to this thread in the reloading sub forum - since many 300 BLK guys are also handloaders.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#38]
I had 3 pistols on the firing line, a .40, .45 and a 38 super... put a 40 in the 45 mag and it went bang and stove piped and  reminded me of why not to lay so many calibers out at the same time...glad it turn out ok physicaly.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow.

I shoot compressed loads at mag length  I wonder if that would have helped
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Since it was a piston upper the bolt carrier should be ok.

Quoted:
Probably the main thing that saved the gun was the lower charge weight of the blackout.

I would agree.  With more powder/more energy, that upper would have been shrapnel.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#41]
A friend of mine who's manufacturing .300 Blackout sent a link to this to me today.  He's pretty upset, from a manufacturer's standpoint, and think that Remington is liable for producing a defective design.  The answer, according to my friend, is to ream your .300 Blackout to the 7.62 Wilson Combat round and get superior performance and no problems like the one the OP posted.  To simply say that the OP should have been more careful is pretty short-sighted.  It's a bad design.  The reason .460 Roland has a longer case than .45ACP is exactly to prevent this type of catastrophe.  

I hereby predict that, as .300 Blackout becomes more and more popular, we'll see more cases like this, and that some will result in serious injury.  Good for the lawyers; bad for us consumers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Why does the Wilson 7.62x40 necessarily avoid this problem?  I see it's faster than the 300 BLK, but that was not the point made.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/762x40-project.asp

7.62x40 is also based on the 5.56 NATO.  What keeps it from chambering in a 5.56 NATO chamber when a 300 BLK (sometimes) will?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:31:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A friend of mine who's manufacturing .300 Blackout sent a link to this to me today.  He's pretty upset, from a manufacturer's standpoint, and think that Remington is liable for producing a defective design.  The answer, according to my friend, is to ream your .300 Blackout to the 7.62 Wilson Combat round and get superior performance and no problems like the one the OP posted.  To simply say that the OP should have been more careful is pretty short-sighted.  It's a bad design.  The reason .460 Roland has a longer case than .45ACP is exactly to prevent this type of catastrophe.  

I hereby predict that, as .300 Blackout becomes more and more popular, we'll see more cases like this, and that some will result in serious injury.  Good for the lawyers; bad for us consumers.

Defective design, no. Anemic, yes. I would not doubt some money hungry lawyer going after them for a KB. If you are shooting a 300blk and 5.56, you just need to pay attention to what is going on. Its simple firearm safety...

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why does the Wilson 7.62x40 necessarily avoid this problem?  I see it's faster than the 300 BLK, but that was not the point made.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/762x40-project.asp

7.62x40 is also based on the 5.56 NATO.  What keeps it from chambering in a 5.56 NATO chamber when a 300 BLK (sometimes) will?

Because the case is longer, 40mm, than the Blackout case, 35mm, and won't chamber, regardless of bullet design.  I don't know if a money-hungry lawyer will get involved or not, but, if somebody loses his/her sight or life, I'd think one of those aforebesmirched lawyers might be in order.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Defective design, no. Anemic, yes. I would not doubt some money hungry lawyer going after them for a KB. If you are shooting a 300blk and 5.56, you just need to pay attention to what is going on. Its simple firearm safety...

Shouldn't be that easy to make a potentially fatal mistake, due to a round's design!  

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#46]
When I first expanded to 5.45x39 I was worried about the same thing happening, mixing up mags.  So I took blue painters tape and marked all my 5.45x39 mags with it, and marked my 5.45x39 AR with the same tape.  

I now have a 300 blackout, but don't keep any mags loaded for it, but have been trying to figure out how I want to mark the upper to keep it separate.

Glad to hear you are okay.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm worried that I'll be at the range when my buddy grabs my rifle and forgets its chambering.

The main precaution I would take is to just look at the bullet when loading.  You can color mags or have different mags but at the end of the day, looking at a 300 BLK and a 5.56 in a mag is a world of difference.

My first line of defense currently is that all I own AR wise is a Blackout.  Second line of defense is that my planned 5.56 is an 18" SPR which I will leave to just 20rd Pmags.  Last line of defense is visual of the cartridge in the mag.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a couple of questions.

A couple people have said that they were un able to shoot a 300blk when/if chambered in a 5.56/223 rifle.  The 2 that I recall say it was just the click of the hammer falling against the back of the BCG.

I see that you were reloading.  Do you still have some ammo from this batch?  If so I dont think that there was enough crimp tp hold the bullet.  You probably had a set back that allowed the 300blk to chamber.  You can test this by taking one of the reloaded rounds and pushing the bullet on the side of a table/bench.  It would be interesting to see what happens.  

I am glad you are Good to go and that you were willing to post this here.

MAHA
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:43:46 AM EDT
[#49]
There is some crazy ass argument for different mag fits for different calibers........has anyone done this with other AR combos?  Yikes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:54:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Good post, good information.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top