AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Shoot you're builds past 1k rds, for real, and see. They may still be 100%, but odds aren't so great. Yes, people here CAN and DO do it right, but not most. Better test, put it on an Army firing line for 1-2k rds.
You need to buy from better companies. Every other person on here as an issue with their enonomy rifle, built in a shop/factory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've bought complete ARs and built a few as well. The ones I've built have run 100% and are my "go to" rifles. I can't say the same for the ones I've bought complete.

Shoot you're builds past 1k rds, for real, and see. They may still be 100%, but odds aren't so great. Yes, people here CAN and DO do it right, but not most. Better test, put it on an Army firing line for 1-2k rds.
You need to buy from better companies. Every other person on here as an issue with their enonomy rifle, built in a shop/factory.

I don't keep round counts individually on each rifle but some have over 1k easily. My PSA premium M4 has been more reliable than any Colt/FN M16 or M4 that I was issued in the Army, but that's not a fair comparison as those rifles have a different life.

As far as buying from better companies, ironically, my DPMS Sportical I bought back in 2009 has been my most reliable factory bought AR. It's almost comical, I feed it everything and haven't had an issue. That doesn't mean I'd recommend a Sportical to someone else, but all the snobbery and "my brand is better than your brand/home built POS" is laughable.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 4:47:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I don't keep round counts individually on each rifle but some have over 1k easily. My PSA premium M4 has been more reliable than any Colt/FN M16 or M4 that I was issued in the Army, but that's not a fair comparison as those rifles have a different life.

As far as buying from better companies, ironically, my DPMS Sportical I bought back in 2009 has been my most reliable factory bought AR. It's almost comical, I feed it everything and haven't had an issue. That doesn't mean I'd recommend a Sportical to someone else, but all the snobbery and "my brand is better than your brand/home built POS" is laughable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've bought complete ARs and built a few as well. The ones I've built have run 100% and are my "go to" rifles. I can't say the same for the ones I've bought complete.

I don't think you would have been very happy with your PSA or DPMS if you put it through the same stuff as your issued weapons. I had issued rifles as well. FN M16A4s and Colt M4s. Weird, they were always really good. Are you sure you didn't have magazine issues, since those are generally a lot older and more abused than our weapons were.

I had a factory new DPMS 'Classic 16' which had either a loose barrel nut or barrel extension.

Gun snobbery goes both ways, but more often in the opposite direction as stereotyped. Especially here. Builds are builds, generally put together by newbies and/or garage tinkerers. No more than that, usually.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#3]
From my understanding of your question buy or build using complete upper and lowers I would see that cost would be an issue for you.  The easy answer to that first part is build.  You can really save money if you buy a complete upper and build from a stripped lower.  With so many brands to choose from it’s hard to suggest the one that best for you without knowing what your likes are.  Luckily there are hundreds of YouTube reviews on any product you can name.  Do your homework and be ready to spend $550.00 to 650.00 to complete your AR.

When it comes to buying an AR-15 many company are selling them at very low costs than in years past.  Most major names in the industry offer very good entry-level rifles to customers not looking to break the bank.  The AR-15 that I like best in the under $700.00 price range is the Armalite Defensive Sport 15 & 15F.  The lowest I’ve seen them starting at is $629.00.  Outside of the great price this rifle has all the features common to the AR-15 and has a 1/7 twist chrome lined barrel.  Most AR’s like this one cost over $900.00.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's BS. Those people are TRAINED, a LOT, and do it a LOT. They're also theones doing it for a pay check. Exact same thing, buy from a manufacturer. The pro's know what they're doing, and many or most here don't.

Honestly, you all agree because you built yours and don't want to think for a second that you made the wrong choice or that gun that you wrapped up so much money into might not be 100%.

Your builds MIGHT be good to go, but most would have parts coming loose and/or breaking if they were used hard. I know everyone here has over 1k though every AR they have.... but many builds and configurations here are borderline functional. Even if I didn't care what industry pro's and others say, all I have to do is look in here at all the issue threads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd still recommend building one at some point in the future, but builds SHOULDN'T be your go-to weapons (generally speaking).

Nonsense. If you know what you're doing, you can build a gun that's just as reliable as anything made by a name-brand manufacturer. The big guys build guns for a paycheck. You're building a gun to save your ass. If you're competent, the gun you build is probably going to be assembled more carefully and tested more thoroughly than a factory build.

It's the same motivation to excel that applies when you have to pack your own parachute.

That's BS. Those people are TRAINED, a LOT, and do it a LOT. They're also theones doing it for a pay check. Exact same thing, buy from a manufacturer. The pro's know what they're doing, and many or most here don't.

Honestly, you all agree because you built yours and don't want to think for a second that you made the wrong choice or that gun that you wrapped up so much money into might not be 100%.

Your builds MIGHT be good to go, but most would have parts coming loose and/or breaking if they were used hard. I know everyone here has over 1k though every AR they have.... but many builds and configurations here are borderline functional. Even if I didn't care what industry pro's and others say, all I have to do is look in here at all the issue threads.

So, a pay stub from Colt or Spikes makes someone better at building a rifle than anyone else?

And training and skill are only available at these places.  It is issued when you sign on.

(You really can pack your own parachute and not get killed too.)
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Gun snobbery goes both ways, but more often in the opposite direction as stereotyped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Gun snobbery goes both ways, but more often in the opposite direction as stereotyped.

Yes, you can usually spot gun snobbery almost immediately...

Quoted:Builds are builds, generally put together by newbies and/or garage tinkerers. No more than that, usually.

Oh look, here's some!
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't think you would have been very happy with your PSA or DPMS if you put it through the same stuff as your issued weapons. I had issued rifles as well. FN M16A4s and Colt M4s. Weird, they were always really good. Are you sure you didn't have magazine issues, since those are generally a lot older and more abused than our weapons were.

I had a factory new DPMS 'Classic 16' which had either a loose barrel nut or barrel extension.

Gun snobbery goes both ways, but more often in the opposite direction as stereotyped. Especially here. Builds are builds, generally put together by newbies and/or garage tinkerers. No more than that, usually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You couldn't possibly know any of this or judge any build without the prequalification of being a paid professional.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Store bought ar's are priced really low right now. If you are not really picky on how you want it to look than go the store bought route. They will all shoot just fine. They prices are very similar between the two though. My friend just got done building a 300 Blackout for pretty much as cheap as possible and he ended up spending about $600. You can find fully built guns for roughly the same price. Del-Ton has really good prices and good quality on parts to build with and completed rifles. Check them out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:57:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh look, here's some!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:Builds are builds, generally put together by newbies and/or garage tinkerers. No more than that, usually.

Oh look, here's some!

GARAGE TINKERERS. Need I say more?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top