User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If you refrain from the flat top and RDS, consider the XS 24/7 Stripe tritium front sight and CSAT rear sight.  A green dot, if you will.  No batteries required. We have one rifle set up this way.  Recognizing it is not as capable as a carbine (too long for inside the home) with an Aimpoint (our preference) it is useable 24/7.

Add a light set up so it doesn't wash out the front sight post.

Rule #4:  Be sure of your target and what is behind it.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a surefire with a tape switch mounted on my MOE handguards with the MOE accessory mount.  Looking to get an Eotech with BUIS.  That's all I am going to do to mine.  After that I want some body armor.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Optic:
Aimpoint T1 Micro (1st choice)
Aimpoint PRO (budget)

Light:
X300 Ultra
Surefire Fury
Surefire G2L (budget)

Sling:
Magpul MS3
Blue Force Vickers

Fore end:
Samson Evolution
Troy tube
Rail on the MOE (budget)
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Done...
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44467

Thanks for the help everyone.

Nice and i dont like where the light is, but if it works for you then have at it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#5]
For HD, i'd add an aimpoint (your choice) magpul buis, mount and slot for your light that attaches to the moe forearm, if i had the cash i'd go with a surefire scout light or whatever light works for you. keep it simple good rule...
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For a home defense type AR, I went back to just about what you have now. I removed the EOTech and BUIS,added a carry handle and bayonet(I bought one just because), I'm looking at lights and mounts tonight. that's it, KISS 16" middy.
.  All the fancy stuff is on the 18".

for old eyes like mine, target acquisition is easier with the red dot, but i like buis for the just in case the red dot craps out.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:14:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ah, but "everyone" says you need optics now. No reason for antiquated irons on modern battle rifles.

optics are the way. target acquisition is so much faster and easier. in a hd situauation, iyou need to put the bad guy down quickly.  I shoot alot with irons, but for quick acquisition under stress i'll use the red dot.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well at 50+ years old, my eyes could use some help.

Thanks for the cools kids comment. It's like getting carded when buying beer.

If you need the optic to help increase your sighting ability then I would most definitely agree with getting one. Just make sure to look through a few different types to make sure your eyes will work with the optic. I have a bad astigmatism and cannot use red dot sights so I'm stuck with irons or a regular rifle scope. You will just have to find out what works for you.

No disrespect was meant by the cool kids comment

Isn't that the whole point of an optic?  To increase you sighting ability?  I'm in Afghanistan currently, and I would never consider going on patrol without my optic.  Why would I not use an optic?  It's faster, more accurate, and easier to use.  It allows you to have better situational awareness.  Optics are not cool kids gear.  No disrespect taken, I just wanted to make a point that to me, an optic is necessary, not optional.

I'm with Augee, I like Eotechs because of their reticle.  Optics and reticles are all a matter of opinion and what the user likes.  So see what works for you.  I use a Surefire Mini Scout light on a Gear Sector offset mount with a Surefire pressure pad that clips in to the rails.  The mount has been rock solid and the pressure pad, though expensive, has been a good investment for me.  I don't have to worry about velcro tape or zip ties or the pressure pad slipping and moving around.  The standard stock is good.  I like Vltor E-Mod or I-Mod stocks.  I have both.  They feel the same, but the E-Mod has the strike plate and more storage compartments.  My personal AR has a Troy sight, my issued M4 has an ARMS #40L.  They have both been solid sights.  If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Troy because it's much easier to employ, especially with gloves on.  The Troy also feels more solid.  The ARMS has some wiggle and is held up by spring tension.  Whereas the Troy actually locks in to the up position.  I'm sure there are less expensive, yet still reliable options out there, but this is what I have experience with.

exactly....i said this in my last post, you just said it better....
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Done...
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44467

Thanks for the help everyone.

good work....all you need and nothing you don't. kudos...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top