User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
CLP doesn't get out copper fouling from the barrels.  I sent a friend in Afghanistan a can of Outer's foaming bore cleaning and asked him to give it a try.  To shorten the story he had his maching gunner clean a M240G using what they had for cleaning which was CLP.  After examining what "looked" like a clean barrel he then used the foaming bore cleaner.  The foam went in white and instantly turned blue indicating copper fouling still present.  He had to foam the bore several more times until it was truely clean.  He showed it to his Bn. commander who immediately ordered it and was used extensively from then on.

I use it on my AR's but flush the gas tube out with brake wash spray cleaner and you can't beleive the crud that come out the end of the barrel.  As for lube, I'm sorry but I'm stuck in 1967 and use military LSA for lube on my AR's.  The most I ever shot my M-16E1 was a little over 2000 rounds in one night without any problems.  Needless to say my friend needed a good cleaning the next morning but like a Timex, it took a beating and kept on ticking.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#2]
good.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
CLP doesn't get out copper fouling from the barrels.  I sent a friend in Afghanistan a can of Outer's foaming bore cleaning and asked him to give it a try.  To shorten the story he had his maching gunner clean a M240G using what they had for cleaning which was CLP.  After examining what "looked" like a clean barrel he then used the foaming bore cleaner.  The foam went in white and instantly turned blue indicating copper fouling still present.  He had to foam the bore several more times until it was truely clean.  He showed it to his Bn. commander who immediately ordered it and was used extensively from then on.

Since you said, G I have to assume you mean Marines since we started with Gs although they are all Bs right now.  The BN Gunner and ordinance chief should have told the BN CO, not only is that not authorized its really all that important for a machine gun.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CLP is the standard by which all others are measured.

Yes, there may be better lubes,
Yes, there may be better cleaners, and
Yes, there may be better protectants. But no baseline AR maintenance kit should be without CLP.

The "standard by all other" what are measured?

If limited to using a 3-in-1 type of product, then I'd much rather use G-96 Synthetic CLP.

Beyond that, and as you indicated, when compared to other dedicated lubricants, cleaners and/or protectants, BF CLP is typically found lacking, with the possible exception of the rust preventative category.

Would I use it if it were the only thing available?  Sure.  But there are plenty of other superior options to choose from ... so I don't.

Rather than being the standard by which others are measured, BF CLP is more aptly described as the lowest common denominator.

G-96 smells a hell of a lot better to boot.  Doubles a cologne (my wife loves it)  

G96 performed worse in every test I subjected it to than MPro-7 LPX, it evaporated/gummed up sooner in the oven, it didn't protect against rust as well, but I have not yet used it in live-fire.

Were you using the G-96 Gun Treatment or the G-96 Synthetic CLP?

Also, what were the various tests that you performed?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm new here and I'm sure i missed many conversations about this.
Can someone point me in the right direction.

Breakfree CLP.  Good/Bad
I've always used Hoppes cleaner and Rem oil for my other rifles and handguns.
I've heard that remoil is too light for AR's.  
What's the opinions of this group on CLP

Sure Breakfree is good oil.

Impala

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:47:24 AM EDT
[#6]
My post in the FL thread. Summary: BF CLP is good.

When my Armalite AR was banned in CA, I lost interest in AR's and sent my rifle to stay with my parents in AZ. They didn't have a safe, so it was stashed in a closet. I would come visit from time to time and shoot, but never clean my AR, I was always too lazy to bother with it. Fast forward 9 years to 2010 and i got back into the AR hobby and decided to bring my ole' upper home to build into a CA legal rifle.

Before seeing it first hand, I feared that it would have been overrun with rust from years of use and abuse, but to my surprise-even though the rifle was practically bone dry by this time, not a speck of rust could be found. The only thing used when I had it in CA was break free clp.

I find it hard to believe that an AR would rust in a period of days after firing, even if dry. There has to be some other outside factor or something in the FL itself that causes the rust. I just bought a bottle of each paste & liquid of FL locally and I'm having second thoughts. Good thing I haven't opened them yet. I still have plenty of break free clp...

ETA: Still lazy Even with my brand new DD M4, I didn't even bother to clean her before shooting. Just went to the range and shot 100rnds, brought it home, squirted some BF CLP and wiped it down, no brushing. Its been to the range a 2nd time since, but no CLP added. No sign of rust anywhere.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:51:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I clean with Hoppes and lube with CLP.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My post in the FL thread. Summary: BF CLP is good.

When my Armalite AR was banned in CA, I lost interest in AR's and sent my rifle to stay with my parents in AZ. They didn't have a safe, so it was stashed in a closet. I would come visit from time to time and shoot, but never clean my AR, I was always too lazy to bother with it. Fast forward 9 years to 2010 and i got back into the AR hobby and decided to bring my ole' upper home to build into a CA legal rifle.

Before seeing it first hand, I feared that it would have been overrun with rust from years of use and abuse, but to my surprise-even though the rifle was practically bone dry by this time, not a speck of rust could be found. The only thing used when I had it in CA was break free clp.

I find it hard to believe that an AR would rust in a period of days after firing, even if dry. There has to be some other outside factor or something in the FL itself that causes the rust. I just bought a bottle of each paste & liquid of FL locally and I'm having second thoughts. Good thing I haven't opened them yet. I still have plenty of break free clp...

ETA: Still lazy Even with my brand new DD M4, I didn't even bother to clean her before shooting. Just went to the range and shot 100rnds, brought it home, squirted some BF CLP and wiped it down, no brushing. Its been to the range a 2nd time since, but no CLP added. No sign of rust anywhere.

I purchased an unfired browning B92 that was from AZ. All blue, and the receiver particularly they state must always be oiled. It arrived completely dry, and obviously had been for years. There was not a spot of rust or any discoloration - completely mint. AZ is too dry to allow rust is my only conclusion. I wouldn't push that, but it certainly isn't a representative environment.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top