BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll sell you a box of nineteen .45acp Talons for 15 bucks....

I used one...They work well.......

Rangers are cheaper........and a sharpie will turn them into Talons. Sell those at the fun show!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Troy,

What about the Golden Sabres?  Are they as good as the Tactical/Gold Dot/Ranger T or are they a step below?

Which kind?  Golden Saber have a regualr version which tends to shed the jacket and a bonded version which is better through intermediate barriers but does not expand as well.  The best bonded core bullet is the Gold Dot and conventional jacket is the Ranger T.  The GS is not a bad round in either form but there is better so I see no reason in buying it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#4]
$15-20 a box, max, IMO
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Saw some at a fun show today.. 35.00 for a box of 20.. Im guessing maybe someone might buy it...

Now if it was a box of 10mm Norma..

I'm sitting on a box of NORMA 10mm, I don't have an 10 mm to shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Some more photography. This is my "short" collection. These are all .40S&W 180gr. The Winchester Supreme SXTs were marketed in two different boxes. Both are shown.

Box tops

Box ends

Bullet Sides

Bullet Iso

Bullet Tops

Basically, the testing done on the Ranger is that it only extends penetration by 2-3" when shot into denim covered gelatin (versus bare). Most other 1-3rd gen, like the Hydrashoks, etc. will get "clogged" and turn into FMJ, not expanding and overpenetrating .
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#7]
This is a little off topic, but I remember about 12 years ago (I was 7) seeing on the news stories about bullets called "black rhinos" that were supposidly killing cops left and right.  I was just wondering if any of you guys remember those or am I just imaging things again?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This is a little off topic, but I remember about 12 years ago (I was 7) seeing on the news stories about bullets called "black rhinos" that were supposidly killing cops left and right.  I was just wondering if any of you guys remember those or am I just imaging things again?

I do recall that Black Talons were labled by the press as cop killers.  I don't recall black rhinos.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Great pics, NoAim.

-Troy

No problem. Those are all my boxes, so if anyone needs more/zoomed in pictures, let me know.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It was just the typical BS/hoax that our professional unbiased Media INC love to wet their panties over...

Google "Black Rhino Ammo"

www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_n8_v47/ai_16929580
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#12]
At the gun show last week, I got a box of the Gen-4 Rangers for $20/50.

After reading this thread, I'm gonna go back next week for some more to replace my Gen-1 Cor-Bons.

-Frank
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the link Noname.  I missed that episode of hysteria.  Very interesting
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
We pulled out some winchester silvertips in 40 cal and the tops were not even mushroomed. The guy was wearing a thick winter jacket and the hollow points were stuffed with clothing material and they acted like FMJs.

This has had me wondering if it is better to go with the cor-bon powerball.
Troy what do you think of these, Better option than the ranger T's?

Looking for info for 9 and 45.

Thanks.

No, absolutely not.  The three rounds I mentioned are the BEST performing handgun loads (for 9mm & larger common handgun rounds) available.  And the Ranger-T bullets are most often at the very top of that list, though the other two are usually a whisker behind.  Also, as a rule, the heavy-for-caliber loads perform best and consistantly pass the testing protocols, whereas in some calibers, the midweight loads don't always pass all tests (especially in .40S&W).  The lightweight-for-caliber loads almost never pass these tests, as penetration is inadequate and expansion is unreliable.

PowerBall, like EFMJ ammo, is better than FMJ, so if you have an older gun that won't shoot anything but FMJ reliably, it's worth looking into.  But why would you carry such a gun in the first place, knowing you are compromising bullet performance, possibly at the price of losing your LIFE?

-Troy

Troy,

I hate to be a pest and ask this, but I just gotta.

What's your view on Cor-Bon's JHP rounds?

Thanks for all the info on ammo that you provide to the board,

-Frank
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
At the gun show last week, I got a box of the Gen-4 Rangers for $20/50.

After reading this thread, I'm gonna go back next week for some more to replace my Gen-1 Cor-Bons.

-Frank

These Rangers were also about $20/50 at this weekend's gunshow. It's actually cheaper than the Supreme SXT stuff.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#16]
$18/50 at my local funstore. I have a love/hate relationship with Rangers.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
$18/50 at my local funstore. I have a love/hate relationship with Rangers.

With ONE HAND you're glad they work well. On the OTHER HAND you wish they didn't do any damage?

Ick....gruesome.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

With ONE HAND you're glad they work well. On the OTHER HAND you wish they didn't do any damage?

Ick....gruesome.

Very true. But I have no dobut as to the function. "The Hand of Truth"
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:02:28 AM EDT
[#20]
shot a deer with the 45 acp version the uber black talaon failed to expand, but the Federal Hydro shock did.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's an extra contribution to this thread.

A picture of an old school Black Talon in the original nickel case.  This one is a 9mm 147gr.

Enjoy.

-Frank
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top