User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can afford the $40, do it.  I was simply making suggestions to keep your cost down.  
As I just edited in my last post, I would call before (or while) placing your order and add one more thing to your order if you have the money available: a windage-adjustable front sight assembly.  It is very-well worth every cent you will pay for it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can afford the $40, do it.  I was simply making suggestions to keep your cost down.  
As I just edited in my last post, I would call before (or while) placing your order and add one more thing to your order if you have the money available: a windage-adjustable front sight assembly.  It is very-well worth every cent you will pay for it.
View Quote

I mean, I don't really want to spend the extra $50, but I could afford it so I might as well. I am not sure I want to get a FSB, because CMP rules allow scopes now and as much as I love irons, I think it would be a disadvantage not to get a scope. I have read a low power scope might be slightly affected by a FSB, so I might get a low profile gas block. Do you think the Shilen barrel is any better than the Wilson?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:...Do you think the Shilen barrel is any better than the Wilson?
View Quote

I do.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you know if John Holliger actually answers the emails when you email "[email protected]"? I emailed him and the response was very ambiguous and wasn't the most helpful.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]
No disrespect to John Holliger at all, I was just wondering.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do you know if John Holliger actually answers the emails when you email "[email protected]"? I emailed him and the response was very ambiguous and wasn't the most helpful.
View Quote

IM his email to me (if you like) and I'll see if I can decrypt it for you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#7]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Before I "pull the trigger" on buying a barrel, I wanted to make sure I am not missing anything.

Are there any barrels for under $300 that are comparable to a Wilson Arms or Shilen barrel? The barrel needs to have a target crown with no threads, after what I've seen in a YouTube video showing the barrel opening up at the muzzle with 1/2 or 5/8 inch threads.

Thank you for all of your help,

John
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Before I "pull the trigger" on buying a barrel, I wanted to make sure I am not missing anything.

Are there any barrels for under $300 that are comparable to a Wilson Arms or Shilen barrel? The barrel needs to have a target crown with no threads, after what I've seen in a YouTube video showing the barrel opening up at the muzzle with 1/2 or 5/8 inch threads.

Thank you for all of your help,

John
View Quote

Link?

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#10]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CUm_YXzJJOU
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Interesting. I'm hoping a machinist friend will make a gauge so I can see how my local HP guys' stack up. I'm curious if there's a noticeable difference between brands and rifling type.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Any better barrel than the WOA Shilen for $270?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Something my dad pointed out was that he didn't try that with a muzzle device on.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Something my dad pointed out was that he didn't try that with a muzzle device on.
View Quote

Agreed, but if the muzzle device is able to constrict the barrel and change the bore diameter, then essentially you are relying on a $10 piece of metal to be the muzzle of a $300 barrel.

But yes, I do agree, he should have tried it with a flash hider.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Off topic question. not a trick question.

Are people still using 52's for close to medium range shooting(Service Rifle)?
View Quote

If you shoot 100 yard reduced courses this is the best bullet available. The problem is they shoot so well sometimes you can't count all the holes because it's a nasty little knot.

Even at 200 yards 52 grain bullets are very competitive unless your range is open (no trees to block the wind) and the wind is gusty. 300 yards requires heavier bullets, at least 69's and 600 yards needs 80 grainers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Agreed, but if the muzzle device is able to constrict the barrel and change the bore diameter, then essentially you are relying on a $10 piece of metal to be the muzzle of a $300 barrel.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An applied muzzle device doesn't constrict or squeeze the barrel material (metal) in any way.  Once it is cut the barrel material is stress-relieved and will produce the belling effect, it cannot be repaired to its previous condition.
The only feasible options are to cut and re-crown the barrel, or cut and thread with a pitch that will not produce a belling effect.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I was doing a lot more research on barrels. I know of a manufacturer called ER Shaw that is 30 minutes from where I live. Any experience with their SS barrels? Probably not the best quality but for $130 would they be ok to earn LEG points in CMP matches?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:48:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was doing a lot more research on barrels. I know of a manufacturer called ER Shaw that is 30 minutes from where I live. Any experience with their SS barrels? Probably not the best quality but for $130 would they be ok to earn LEG points in CMP matches?
View Quote

Can you post a link to this barrel?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Here is the barrel: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/184550/ar-stoner-barrel-ar-15-223-remington-wylde-hbar-contour-1-in-8-twist-20-stainless-steel
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

An applied muzzle device doesn't constrict or squeeze the barrel material (metal) in any way.  Once it is cut the barrel material is stress-relieved and will produce the belling effect, it cannot be repaired to its previous condition.
The only feasible options are to cut and re-crown the barrel, or cut and thread with a pitch that will not produce a belling effect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thread pitch has nothing to do with bore expanding. Thread diameter is the problem.

Proper stress relief helps mitigate the issue but the best answer is to lap after threading the muzzle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my Lothar barrel. Just back ordered another one from integrity arms for $250. Never heard a complaint on the performance of these barrels.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I love my Lothar barrel. Just back ordered another one from integrity arms for $250. Never heard a complaint on the performance of these barrels.
View Quote

Guessing one of the nitride ones?  Do you currently have a nitrided one?  How does it shoot?  And lastly, did they give you a lead time on the back ordered one?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Guessing one of the nitride ones?  Do you currently have a nitrided one?  How does it shoot?  And lastly, did they give you a lead time on the back ordered one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. I currently only have the stainless and the person I spoke to said no more than 2 months. I did order one of the nitride ones. He said they had a standing order for so many barrels every couple months to be made for them.

Edit for: I just saw best service rifle barrel. There is a Molon thread on a 20" Lothar Walther barrel
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/689663_Observations_on_the_Accuracy_of_a_20__Lothar_Walther_AR_15_Barrel.html
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I think I am going to skip the ER Shaw. I have now narrowed it down to two barrels and I have the funds ready to order one of them. Which one should I get for CMP Service Rifle shooting, the WOA Shilen 20 inch pre ban (costs $275) or the WOA Wilson Arms 20 inch pre ban (costs $225)?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top