Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#1]
BEST .223:

Hornady 75gr 23.5gr Varget 2.235" light crimp

Left group was fired slow, i fired the right group as quickly as I could return to aiming at the target.

Left is .65moa

Since they were fired after another I combined them for a 10 shot group totall 1.1moa

BEST 5.56 PPU M855

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I had an Oly Arms with 20 in heavy barrel AR15 about 10 years ago.  With hand loads, I got down to 5 shot slow fire groups of 5/8 inch with Nosler 55 grn ballistic tip bullets(if I remember correctly) at 100 yrds. That was the best I was able to get with it. After 5 shots barrel heating opened up the spread to about 1.5 in groups.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
The best I ever shot at 100 yards was 30 rounds all touching as I shot the center out of a small bore target. Every shot touched the next as I shot in a circle, all on the ring. The red center was held on by only the smallest piece of paper at 12 o'clock. If I hadn't gone empty I think I could have shot it out with one more shot. You could see and count all 30 shots. This was with a J&T fluted 16" HBAR, 1-9,  62 grain HP, 5 lb trigger, with an Elite 3200 3x9 on a Rock River mount. The scope was set on 6X and I was shooting prone off of sand. It was witnessed by many and I've never been able to duplicate. Still my best shooting AR out of 9. It will  sub MOA hot or cold with decent ammo. Threw the target away figuring I could duplicate anytime. Boy was I wrong.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Colt A3 HBAR Elite, 24" Bull Barrel, 55grn VMax.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:27:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Some of you guys are some real marksman.I am going to have to try harder after seeing some of your target shots.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#6]
The best group I have ever shot is with my buddy's groundhog gun. It has a 26" bull barrel and weighs close to 15 pounds. I shot a just under 1 inch group at 200 yards using his handloads. He shoots the same rifle and load at about half an inch at 200 yards. This is using a rear bag and bipod, btw.

The best I've ever shot with any of my rifles is just over one inch at 100 yards using Remington Fusion 62 grainers. This was with my Superior Barrels DSM upper. I've never broken sub MOA with any of my own rifles.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#7]
GUTS,
That is a really nice group, but I can't see how that could be a .335" group.  Looks an awful lot like something in the neighborhood of .6" to me
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Colt A3 HBAR Elite, 24" Bull Barrel, 55grn VMax.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g236/Gutss/1220071605.jpg

is that a 2" square?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
GUTS,
That is a really nice group, but I can't see how that could be a .335" group.  Looks an awful lot like something in the neighborhood of .6" to me

I'm bored here and according to my paint calculations its more like .425-.5"

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder what sort of optics you guys are using to get those microscopic groups.

The sight picture through my Millett DMS-1 is roughly like this (working from memory) for a target with a 6" black bull at 100yd, using the highest magnification (4x).

The 6" black bullseye fills maybe half the central illuminated circle in the reticle, so choosing which part of that circle you are aiming at is rather tough. I can put 30 rounds all inside the 6" bull at 100yd, all day, but it takes more precision in the optics to zero in on one part of the bull.

In other words, a 4x scope provides too coarse a sight picture, and even a tiny bit of "off-center" when trying to line up the black bull in the red circle leads to a bigger spread. Yes, consistency in placement of the bull in the circle yields tighter groups, but I still figure a good 10x or greater magnification would allow me to focus in one part of the bull. In fact, I have a 3-10x I've just mounted on one of my AR's, and as soon as I get a chance I'm going to test that theory.

In the meantime, how about you also tell us about the optics used to obtain those groups.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#11]
The target used is a Palma target, the black is two inches and the white is one inch. The group should be measured from the outside of the two farthest apart holes and then subtract the bullet diameter from that. This gives the reading from center to center of the two farthest holes. The reading I get now that you guys forced me to remeasure(way to burst my bubble fellas) is .574" minus .224" which leaves .369" so I guess I spouted an incorrect measurement and I therefore appologize., so I will now call it .369", still an acceptable group in my book. I was using a 24x scope, I can't get groups as good with smaller magnification scopes, go figure.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Best before the DD rail.

After the rail...

Went shopping for some match ammo for this weekend but my local store was sold out
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got that voodoo case too.

Thats not a fair comparison of before and after. As technically if you get rid of the two further shots on the "before" picture its an equal group but it is smaller.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just got that voodoo case too.

Thats not a fair comparison of before and after. As technically if you get rid of the two further shots on the "before" picture its an equal group but it is smaller.

Second group was with 69gr FGMM too so I will try again when I get more ammo. Need to play with this for a while to see whats its good for Am heading to the 500m mark on the weekend if the winds die down from gusts of 75km/hr(todays weather)
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Hello all , This is my first post here . I've lurked around this sight for sometime now ,  picking up some very good tips and information and some not so good  . I'm relatively new to the AR platform , and on some of my information forays , occasionally I would get bounced to this sight . It seemed to me to be more of a forum for elitist and black gun snobs . Too many times I had read , If you don't have Brand X Y and Z  , ya  own a substandard , not worthy of being a tomato stake gun .

Sorry about the rant !  Any ways , after figuring out what the primary purpose of my first AR build was ( primarily fun plinker , target gun , and some occasional varmint control ) , wound up with an 800 dollar DPMS , 16 " bull upper , on a DPMS lower and parts kit  .  Had to love on the trigger a bit , and it still sucks but its manageable now . Gun will go .5 to .7 with boring regularity with my loads . Sorry , I just felt compelled to post just to show that you don't have to have a huge pile of cheddar , to get a fine shooting little target AR .

Best group to date  .454    5 shots 100
55 Noslier BT
25.6 gn Varget w 7 1/2 Rem primer
LC brass , FL sided
OAL 2.261 ( just fits into the PMag )

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx323/67rschev/ar.jpg
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I have some better groups on target but this is one that's already in my Photobucket account and will do for now.

BCM 16" SS410 barrel
Hornady brass
Hornady 75gr BTHP
Rem 7 1/2 primer
24gr's Varget
2.255" COL
2620 FPS avg Vel

The rifle

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I wonder what sort of optics you guys are using to get those microscopic groups.

The sight picture through my Millett DMS-1 is roughly like this (working from memory) for a target with a 6" black bull at 100yd, using the highest magnification (4x).

http://www.mrossnet.com/100ydTarget.jpg

The 6" black bullseye fills maybe half the central illuminated circle in the reticle, so choosing which part of that circle you are aiming at is rather tough. I can put 30 rounds all inside the 6" bull at 100yd, all day, but it takes more precision in the optics to zero in on one part of the bull.

In other words, a 4x scope provides too coarse a sight picture, and even a tiny bit of "off-center" when trying to line up the black bull in the red circle leads to a bigger spread. Yes, consistency in placement of the bull in the circle yields tighter groups, but I still figure a good 10x or greater magnification would allow me to focus in one part of the bull. In fact, I have a 3-10x I've just mounted on one of my AR's, and as soon as I get a chance I'm going to test that theory.

In the meantime, how about you also tell us about the optics used to obtain those groups.

Another thing to do is have your point of aim be different than your point of impact.  That way shooting the group itself doesn't distort your sight picture.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:05:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Did this today and I'm happy;
the carbine is 100% stock...no FF, no match trigger, no handloads.
100m from the bench with a sandbag at the front.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#19]
1MOA w/ SCAR 16S shooting IMI M855
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What is the tightest 5.56mm @ 100 yards group you've ever shot, and with what equipment?  I shot a 3/4" group with a damaged Noveske barrel at 100 yards (has a gouge in the bore...I think I ruined it with an over-sized 1.25" square mil-spec cleaning rod and a patch that I had no choice but to hammer through...)

I am wondering what my 26" Kreiger will shoot when I get it back from Adco (threading) and shoot it for the first time.  Is the 5.56 "clover-leaf capable"?

Best group

Bushmaster 20 HBAR 1/9 twist      3.5-10x  Prone @  100Y   5rd clover group    w/ Federal 69gr SMK

LMT Defender 14.5 M4 1/7 twist     Aimpoint ML2   off my range bag @ 50Y  5rd  clover group  w/ Black Hills Blue/White 77

Home built LMT M4 14.5 1/7twist  EOTECH 551F  off range bag @ 50Y 5rd clover group w/ Black Hills Blue/White 77

I might do alot better if I had a proper rest and a  10xscope with the 2 LMT M4`s

One of these days Im going to get a 20inch SS upper

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
.5 from a 16" DPMS Bull barrell.

I belive it

Ive seen a few accurate DPMS at the range

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#22]
You guys got me motivated to go try harder so i got this 100 yard group this morning.I could see the first 4 were really tight and right as i let off the 5th shot a gust of
head wind hit me in the face and got that flyer.Even with the flyer this is my best yet.My RRA Predator Pursuit loves this load here.Anyway now my best yet at 100 yards.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Try putting a VERY light crimp on those. I always had one flier and four shots in .5", I then lightly crimped them and it pulled the whole groups into .6"
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Try putting a VERY light crimp on those. I always had one flier and four shots in .5", I then lightly crimped them and it pulled the whole groups into .6"

Yeah i use a LEE FCD very light.I am pretty sure it was the wind that blew up right about the same time io pulled the trigger.
It stayed windy so i just packed it in....West Texas= Windy.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top