BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Predator -

I know, it's been near impossible to get a hold of us. We get hundreds of calls and emails a day, and only Allison is in there to receive the brunt of them. I have been helping with assembly on top of my regular service, repairs, and customer help. the whole thing is a mess - I've been giving my cell number out to help some customers, since i'm never in the office anymore.

We know we need to hire some more help - and are planning on it, as soon as it slows down enough to actually have time to train someone. The last thing we want is some n00b telling people our rifles have 1/12 twist rates and come in pink, purple, and orange.

That's a slight exaggeration... but you get my point. I do my best to help Allison out, but when there are 120 conversion kits to build and shoot within a couple days and box afer box of lowers to build up, I just don't have the time like I used to. It's been pure hell - but if you ever do need anything, I can usually help you out if you contact me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#2]
you can't beat service like that
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not to seem to attack your post....but there is another way of looking at this.

Quoted:
OK I own both.  I own an M4 Carbine and I own an XCR Carbine.  I have also been in both Gulf wars (multiple tours in Iraq) and If I had a choice while over there I would have chosen the XCR every time.

That being said.  The AR is a good rifle.  If you can keep it, do so.  However, if you want to buy an XCR, you won't regret it.  Accuracy is not a problem with the XCR.  Even after a barrel change.  Accuracy with the XCR averages sub-MOA at 100yds.  Parts are readily available from Robinson Arms and they are very affordable.  Don't let anyone tell you that Robinson may not be around in a few years.  If that is the case then that can be said for any of the AR manufacturers. ...But there will still be AR parts from someone around even if your brand is gone.

No onto the XCR.  Here is why I purchased one and wished I had it when I was in battle:

1. The same reliability as the AK-47.
This hasen't been proven by the test of time.

2. Same modularity as the M4.  I can fit anything on the XCR I can with the M4.
To an extent. There is a far more vast selection of upper/lower configurations available for the AR platform.

3. Bigger and better bolt.  
Bigger yes, better...maybe.

4. Gas Piston.  GP is not just to reduce cleaning.  I can adjust the gas on the fly to reduce ammunition problems.  If I got a batch of ammo that is weaker than the last, I can crank the gas up and not have to think twice about the ammo.  If I have a silencer, I can crank the gas all the way down.
This is the one real advantage to the piston system.

5. Solid ejection system.  Ejector will not break.
Never had an ejector fail on an AR. There have been KBs shown on this site that have done some damage to them though.

6. Stronger Extractor.
True

7. Charging handle is located in a better and more ergonomic position.  No need to change your position so you can charge the weapon.  You can look through the optic while charging and never taking your eye off the target.
Um...when do you need to use the charging handle that does not involve changing mags or correcting a malfunction?
Being able to use the charging handle while maintaining a cheek weld isn't much of an advantage, as pulling the charging handle will throw you off target anyway.

8. I can operate nearly every function of the gin with the trigger finger such as dropping the mag, locking or releasing the bolt.  
The ergonomics of the AR are just fine. You release the bolt with the same hand you just inserted a mag with. You lock the bolt with the same hand you're removing a mag with. The remainder can be operated with the firing hand without removing it from the firing position.

9. Better selector switch.

10.  Just better all around.  

That are just some of the reasons I preferred the XCR over the M4 in battle.  I also prefer the XCR in the civilian world because I can change out the barrel and bolt and have a completely different caliber gun.  You show me an AR that can fire all the calibers, buy just simply changing out a bolt and barrel in a matter of 5 minutes: 5.56, 6.5, 6.8, 7.62x39.

You can't.  
Yes I can.
With the push of 2 pins, & throwing on a different upper, I can accomplish a caliber change in under 1 minute with an AR. The receiver is only about 7" long, and having it fixed to the barrel means 'no loss of zero' for the different caliber. Can an XCR give you that?

I have well over 6000 rounds (closer to 7000) and I have not once cleaned the chamber, receiver, bolt/extractor.  Try that with a non-gas piston M4.
You can't.  If you tried it in battle you would be dead.  I hated having to clean my weapon all the time.  But I knew I had to so I could make it home again someday.
You haven't read what testing is done to the M4s coming out of the factory have you. They pull a set percentage of M4s from the line and perform a 6000 round endurance test. I'll bet that the time to fire these 6000 rounds is significantly less than the rate of fire you have achieved with your XCR.

Just try any of that with the AR-15 and see how well it works out. I bet you go buy an XCR.  You can order one straight from Robinson Arms and have it delivered in about 8 weeks.  Get it the way you want it too.  Try that with LWRC, Sabre, LMT, DPMS, BM, Stag, or anyone else.  They are 1+ years backordered.  

Do yourself a favor and buy an XCR.  Most of the people on this forum have never fired an XCR so they are most likely biased.  Ask the guys on the XCR forum who own both and they will tell you why the prefer the XCR to the AR.

AR-15 =

XCR =

DISCLAIMER:  The AR platform has served America and some of it's allies for over 40 years.  It is a great weapon system.  No doubt about it.  However, it has it's drawbacks and that is why many of America's allies have adopted other systems most of which are Gas Piston operated just like the extremely reliable AK-47.

...and don't forget the more complicated break-down procedure for the XCR, I've done it, and you can't deny that it is more intricate than the AR. Which is a draw-back in a combat weapon IMO.

"""...and don't forget the more complicated break-down procedure for the XCR, I've done it, and you can't deny that it is more intricate than the AR. Which is a draw-back in a combat weapon IMO."""What a freakin' tard. The XCR breaks down faster than my M1a. Besides, with an XCR, it RUNS so you don't HAVE to break it down. You whining about something that does not take place with an XCR. Regular maintenance and lube splashing does not have to happen to keep it running like your ill equipped regular AR. pfft. draw back, what a tart. Doing regular maintenance on my COLT when I SHOULD BE sleeping is Frekkin' DRAW BACK! Having to fight with this crapper is a DRAW BACK!
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was going to order an XCR from a dealer and was told that Robinsons customer service was lackluster to say the least. This dealer stopped bringing in the XCR for this reason. I bought a Sig 556 instead and absolutely love it. I would like a chance to shoot an XCR before I buy.

I have never had to service my XCR, but I have ordered parts from ROBARMS.  Terra and Allison are doing a really incredible job of keeping up with the flow... despite the post-obama panic that all vendors and manufactures are dealing with right now.

The XCR platform offers some nice features, such as monolithic rails, excellent ergonomics, a robust gas system, and is multi-caliber capable, including 7.62x39, all at a competitive price point.    

A couple of improvements in the pipe-line such as the upgraded trigger and SCAR style stock will make this a really well rounded package.  While it has not been around for decades like the AR and AK, the XCR has been out long enough and has had enough folks running them, that the platform has proved to be a solid one.

Would I have recommended the XCR to a buddy back in 2007?  No... but with the experience I now have with both the XCR and ROBARMS, I most certainly would.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is the XCR even offerered with a chrome lined 1/7 barrel?  Last I saw you could only get 1/9 barrels...

That's the main problem why I did not get an XCR but a SiIG556 for my piston folding gun... Not saying sig is better just that it will  stabilize TAP 75 gr ammo among others.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a +1 post for the XCR.  If you are stuck in your AR ways then stop reading here.

I am a big AR fan, and the AR system is what I am most familiar with, but the XCR is so much more of a gun.  

A piston just runs much cleaner and much cooler than a DI.  Shoot 200 rounds from an XCR and there is really nothing to clean, unlike an AR which is filthy.  In general, a clean gun is a more reliable gun, if you can't accept this then I don't know what else to say.

XCR has quick caliber and quick barrel changes.  Just an allen bolt and you can basically go from Carbine to PDW to 6.8 SPC to 7.62x39 in an instant.

XCR has a monolithic railed upper.  How much are railed mono AR uppers?

XCR has a folding stock, something an AR can never have.

XCR has the charging handle where it should be.  Like the FALs of yesterday, and the SABRs of tomorrow.

XCR has an adjustable gas system that can ease the harshness of suppressor or hot ammo, or can give more oomph for weak ammo.  Say bye bye to gas blow back in the face when running suppressed.

Some guys are stuck on the Garand, some guys stuck on their M14, and some guys are stuck on their overweight and poor handling 65 Mustang.  Therefore I have no doubt there will be AR guys stuck in their AR ways.   Nothing in the law that says you have to move forward.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was going to order an XCR from a dealer and was told that Robinsons customer service was lackluster to say the least. This dealer stopped bringing in the XCR for this reason. I bought a Sig 556 instead and absolutely love it. I would like a chance to shoot an XCR before I buy.

Did that dealer tell you DPMS is the same as Colt too.

Robinson has been great to work with for whatever XCR needs I have. The reponse, followup and time to resolution has all been top notch. Terra knows me by name and gave me her personal cell to be more accessible

Try calling anyone from FN or SIG on their personal cell. They will laugh at you if you ask to buy spares.

Also, to the person that said the XCR has a more complicated takedown than an AR15, do you have any idea WTF you are talking about? Have you ever taken down an XCR before?

And who the hell thinks swapping uppers is the same as a QD barrel. A new XCR barrel is $300 bucks. A new upper with a monolithic quad quad rail is $1300. Yeah there is a comparison.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here is a +1 post for the XCR.  If you are stuck in your AR ways then stop reading here.

I am a big AR fan, and the AR system is what I am most familiar with, but the XCR is so much more of a gun.  

A piston just runs much cleaner and much cooler than a DI.  Shoot 200 rounds from an XCR and there is really nothing to clean, unlike an AR which is filthy.  In general, a clean gun is a more reliable gun, if you can't accept this then I don't know what else to say.

XCR has quick caliber and quick barrel changes.  Just an allen bolt and you can basically go from Carbine to PDW to 6.8 SPC to 7.62x39 in an instant.

XCR has the charging handle where it should be.  Like the FALs of yesterday, and the SABRs of tomorrow.

XCR has an adjustable gas system that can ease the harshness of suppressor or hot ammo, or can give more oomph for weak ammo.  Say bye bye to gas blow back in the face when running suppressed.

Some guys are stuck on the Garand, some guys stuck on their M14, and some guys are stuck on their overweight and poor handling 65 Mustang.  Therefore I have no doubt there will be AR guys stuck in their AR ways.   Nothing in the law that says you have to move forward.

There are a couple very good points there but don't forget you cant get an XCR for $800 or the millions of configs available including piston guns themselves and quick changing uppers and MGI's QCB. AR's are proven and still evolving - hardy an apt comparison to M14's ...
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a couple very good points there but don't forget you cant get an XCR for $800 or the millions of configs available including piston guns themselves and quick changing uppers and MGI's QCB. AR's are proven and still evolving - hardy an apt comparison to M14's ...

What Monolithic AR goes for $800? The ones I have seen all go for over $2000.

Complete XCR goes for $1400, another caliber and add only $550.  That is $1950 for a rifle that shoots 2 calibers!  with 2 bolts and 2 barrels.  

If you want to go 2 different calibers with an AR you have to go complete upper for each (bolt, barrel)  How much will another monolithic railed upper cost you?  About $1500, so add that your $2000 rifle and that is $3500.  
$3500 vs. $1950????  Hmmmmm
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I am a die hard AR fan.

No argument put forth by XCR folks - even if I take everything they say at face value - will convince me to buy one.

Most arguments are prefaced with attacks on the standard AR system, which I believe to be the finest rifle in the world.

I have extensive trigger time with Colt M4s, including 11 months on a Marine PSD team in Iraq, and did not need to clean it when I should have been sleeping (that's what I had the SAW for), nor did I ever feel the slightest bit worried about its reliability. I did have one malfunction, a brand new weapon with no lube (none at all) went for 850 rounds before I had a stuck case. That's 4 times more than I carried on my person. I could have fired every 5.56 round carried by every Marine in my M1114 and not have to worry about the weapon malfunctioning. I wasn't big on weapons maintenance then and I'm not now. I cleaned my M4 when the outside turned brown - still never failed me in Iraq. I just cleaned my Kimber Custom II for the second time ever - I've got about 8k through it - zero failures.

I don't give a flying fuck about monolithic uppers, been there, done that, owned them, sold them. I don't like unnecessary weight. I shoot two calibers, 5.56 and 5.45. I have never spent $1700 on an AR in my life, in fact, between my S&W 5.45 upper'd gun and my BCM upper'd gun I haven't spent $1700, including Aimpoints. I've owned somewhere over 30 AR-15s, never saw the need to spend $1700 for something with no optic. I did build a 6.8 AR with a Vltor VIS, stainless barrel, 2 stage trigger, Magpul stock, blah blah blah, I think I had $1400 in the rifle.

Oh, I think it's funny for someone to say that a 65 Mustang is overweight - pretty ignorant - my 68 Mustang is lighter than my 04 Mini Cooper.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

[SNIP]

Oh, I think it's funny for someone to say that a 65 Mustang is overweight - pretty ignorant - my 68 Mustang is lighter than my 04 Mini Cooper.

Now just watch him tell you that a '68 Mustang is totally different than a '65.
Nice lookin' car by the way.

I'd stick with an AR.
Or if you feel that you have time wait for the Massoud or Masada to come out...
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am a die hard AR fan.

No argument put forth by XCR folks - even if I take everything they say at face value - will convince me to buy one.

Most arguments are prefaced with attacks on the standard AR system, which I believe to be the finest rifle in the world.

I have extensive trigger time with Colt M4s, including 11 months on a Marine PSD team in Iraq, and did not need to clean it when I should have been sleeping (that's what I had the SAW for), nor did I ever feel the slightest bit worried about its reliability. I did have one malfunction, a brand new weapon with no lube (none at all) went for 850 rounds before I had a stuck case. That's 4 times more than I carried on my person. I could have fired every 5.56 round carried by every Marine in my M1114 and not have to worry about the weapon malfunctioning. I wasn't big on weapons maintenance then and I'm not now. I cleaned my M4 when the outside turned brown - still never failed me in Iraq. I just cleaned my Kimber Custom II for the second time ever - I've got about 8k through it - zero failures.

I don't give a flying fuck about monolithic uppers, been there, done that, owned them, sold them. I don't like unnecessary weight. I shoot two calibers, 5.56 and 5.45. I have never spent $1700 on an AR in my life, in fact, between my S&W 5.45 upper'd gun and my BCM upper'd gun I haven't spent $1700, including Aimpoints. I've owned somewhere over 30 AR-15s, never saw the need to spend $1700 for something with no optic. I did build a 6.8 AR with a Vltor VIS, stainless barrel, 2 stage trigger, Magpul stock, blah blah blah, I think I had $1400 in the rifle.

No problem, nothing wrong with not wanting to move forward.  I know it is hard for you to get rid of your 68 Mustang and your AR15.  

Also there is nothing wrong with comparing the Product A with Product B by using the wholesale price of 2 years ago (with Product A) vs. retail price of today (with Product B).  I myself try to compare retail price of Product A vs. Product B that is available to me today, but hey that's just me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a die hard AR fan.

No problem, nothing wrong with not wanting to move forward.  I know it is hard for you to get rid of your 68 Mustang and your AR15.  

Also there is nothing wrong with comparing the Product A with Product B by using the wholesale price of 2 years ago (with Product A) vs. retail price of today (with Product B).  I myself try to compare retail price of Product A vs. Product B that is available to me today, but hey that's just me.

Wow, I guess you missed the part where I said I have a 2004 Mini. If it makes you feel any better, I have a newer Mustang Cobra too. Moving on...

So I guess the incorrect price comparisons YOU made are immaterial, while the incorrect price comparisons I made are a crime against humanity?

Oh, here's a cold hard fact for you, newer does not necessarily mean better. No Robinson Arms product will ever be adopted by the military, there are better designs out there. I was recently comparing an XCR to a SCAR and...well, there is no comparison, the SCAR is superior in every way.

I would also like to know what military and/or police experience you have, or are you just another "I learned everything on the Internet" type?
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[SNIP]

I'd stick with an AR.

Well, it is different. It's slightly heavier. But a stock 1968 Mustang with a V8, power steering, air conditioning, and an automatic transmission weighed 2835 lbs. That's around 800lbs lighter than a newer Mustang.

The suspension leaves something to be desired (that's why mine says Global West on it), but overweight they were not.

Oh, and thanks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wow, I guess you missed the part where I said I have a 2004 Mini. If it makes you feel any better, I have a newer Mustang Cobra too. Moving on...

So I guess the incorrect price comparisons YOU made are immaterial, while the incorrect price comparisons I made are a crime against humanity?

Oh, here's a cold hard fact for you, newer does not necessarily mean better. No Robinson Arms product will ever be adopted by the military, there are better designs out there. I was recently comparing an XCR to a SCAR and...well, there is no comparison, the SCAR is superior in every way.

How is the SCAR better?  quicker barrel change? shoots the same ammo faster? runs cleaner? folds up smaller? can make you jump higher?  Or it is better price?
SCAR $3000
XCR $1500 ($1700 if you add sites)
That's if you can get the SCAR for $3000

Glad to see you can move forward with cars, why another Mustang though? Because it says Mustang on the side?  Would you buy an XCR if Robinson put "AR" on the side?

Link Posted: 2/3/2009 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well, it is different. It's slightly heavier. But a stock 1968 Mustang with a V8, power steering, air conditioning, and an automatic transmission weighed 2835 lbs. That's around 800lbs lighter than a newer Mustang.

The suspension leaves something to be desired (that's why mine says Global West on it), but overweight they were not.

Oh, and thanks.

Bad analogy on my part, Mustangs were the lightest back then and they are still pretty light now.   And yes that is a nice looking car.

Link Posted: 2/3/2009 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
in fact, between my S&W 5.45 upper'd gun and my BCM upper'd gun I haven't spent $1700, including Aimpoints

BULL

Unless you get everything at cost. In that case, so what?

Why the need to exaggerate?

Link Posted: 2/3/2009 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'd stick with an AR.

yes I can't wait when he does that.

Link Posted: 2/3/2009 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the SCAR better?  quicker barrel change? shoots the same ammo faster? runs cleaner? folds up smaller? can make you jump higher?  Or it is better price?
SCAR $3000

Glad to see you can move forward with cars, why another Mustang though? Because it says Mustang on the side?  Would you buy an XCR if Robinson put "AR" on the side?

It does the same job and is lighter. It has proven itself to be exceptionally reliable in extreme conditions. SOCOM weighed the XCR and the SCAR and other designs, the XCR was found lacking. Technicalities my ass.

Quick barrel changes are a gimmick to sell guns.

Yet another incorrect price from you, MSRP is well below $3000, already prices have fallen to reasonable levels and people on ARF have gotten them for ~$2600.

I weigh each individual weapon on its merits, not its name.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Its not gona be about looks after I give my brother most of my collection. It has to WORK every time.
I suspect the AR platform has a higher accuracy potential becuase of the barrel to bolt interface and the lack of negative harmonics cuased by a piston slamming into anything. But that lack of a piston means it is dirty to shoot. Come on, some of you guys know something, tell me
The RRA is a Flat-top with FF quad rail from Tonys Custom. It has a YHM folding gas block/sight and comes with a RRA pinned match trigger.
doesnt have optics, just the free standing RRA rear sight.
Oh and an Ergo

That is the lamest excuse I've ever heard. We wouldn't want to get dirty.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
in fact, between my S&W 5.45 upper'd gun and my BCM upper'd gun I haven't spent $1700, including Aimpoints

BULL

I don't need to take any shit from someone who walks around with his finger on the trigger all the time and thinks he is "safe", thanks.

You've called BS on other posts I've made and been corrected, just stop digging now.

Yes, I get stuff cheaper. It's called the EE. I also like to brag. Deal with it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It does the same job and is lighter. It has proven itself to be exceptionally reliable in extreme conditions. SOCOM weighed the XCR and the SCAR and other designs, the XCR was found lacking. Technicalities my ass.

Yet another incorrect price from you, MSRP is well below $3000, already prices have fallen to reasonable levels and people on ARF have gotten them for ~$2600.

Quick Barrel Changes are not necessary but they are nice.  The military might not need them, but I sure do find it handy I can swap between 7.62x39 and 5.56 fast and easily.  

How was the XCR found lacking? From what I heard RobArms  did not even get to fire the first shot.  I have not seen any real world testing by the SCAR, meanwhile there are hundreds of glowing reviews of the XCR in the XCR forum.

So I'll use your numbers of $2600 for SCAR vs. $1700 for XCR, Even then it is a $900 a difference.  $900 more for a weapon that does almost the same thing is a lot in my household.  I am sure that is just chump change to you though.

Link Posted: 2/3/2009 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BULL

I don't need to take any shit from someone who walks around with his finger on the trigger all the time and thinks he is "safe", thanks.

You've called BS on other posts I've made and been corrected, just stop digging now.

Yes, I get stuff cheaper. It's called the EE. I also like to brag. Deal with it.

I get stuff from my Grandma for $1, you deal with that! boo yah!  ahahahah
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quick Barrel Changes are not necessary but they are nice.  The military might not need them, but I sure do find it handy I can swap between 7.62x39 and 5.56 fast and easily.  

How was the XCR found lacking? From what I heard RobArms  did not even get to fire the first shot.  I have not seen any real world testing by the SCAR, meanwhile there are hundreds of glowing reviews of the XCR in the XCR forum.

So I'll use your numbers of $2600 for SCAR vs. $1700 for XCR, Even then it is a $900 a difference.  $900 more for a weapon that does almost the same thing is a lot in my household.  I am sure that is just chump change to you though.

Until they come out with 5.45 barrels (or have they already?) it will be of limited use to me. Even then, I prefer separate weapons, not separate uppers or barrels.

SOCOM has had SCARs for quite some time, and they like them, but they don't spend a lot of time on the internet talking about it.

It does a similar job and is significantly lighter. No, I don't need to hit the gym, I had a SAW and a M32 in addition to my M4, but every bit of weight counts, and the SCAR amazed me, I couldn't build a comparable AR that light.

Again, I've never spent that much on a rifle and I doubt I ever will. I will, however, play with the SCAR at work without complaint.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you want an ACR go for it.  There is NO reason to ditch the AR though.

this

imo: i would keep the AR platform vs the XCR mayself...the main diff being parts and quality longeviity overall
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Until they come out with 5.45 barrels (or have they already?) it will be of limited use to me. Even then, I prefer separate weapons, not separate uppers or barrels.

SOCOM has had SCARs for quite some time, and they like them, but they don't spend a lot of time on the internet talking about it.

It does a similar job and is significantly lighter. No, I don't need to hit the gym, I had a SAW and a M32 in addition to my M4, but every bit of weight counts, and the SCAR amazed me, I couldn't build a comparable AR that light.

Again, I've never spent that much on a rifle and I doubt I ever will. I will, however, play with the SCAR at work without complaint.

A Conversion kit is basically a separate weapon, and turns your one gun into 2 guns.  Much cheaper than buying 2 Railed AR's.

I am seeing the SCAR weighs 6.8 lbs, and see the XCR also weighs 6.8 lbs.    When you say the SCAR is lighter are you talking about weight? or looks?  Or are you comparing earth weight  for the SCAR and Jupiter weight for tthe XCR?

Link Posted: 2/3/2009 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#27]
BN87 who's getting SCAR's for $2600?
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SCAR $3000

Apples to apples, 16" SCAR 16s vs 16" XCR-L are 99.999999% identical in weight.  A 1oz difference is not perceptible, so dont bother saying it is. 7.5lbs compared to 7.4lbs. The highly touted weight savings of plastics in the SCAR is non-existant

QD barrels are a SOCOM requirement. Not a gimmick to sell guns

Link Posted: 2/3/2009 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#29]
The XCR is basically a black SCAR and made in USA to boot- I just wish it had 1/7 and from a little bigger company and i'd be sold.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 12:38:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I would love to check on the XCR...looks like a fine weapon. I would never replace my AR's for one, but that's just me. Ergonomics on the AR for me is about as good as it gets.

And the fact that the XCR can go 7000 rounds without a malf is no doubt a great accomplishment. But really, how does that matter?!? That's like saying "My car can go 100k miles without an oil change before it siezes up". In reality, who the fuck is gonna drive a car 100k miles before they change the oil?!?   Who is gonna be required to shoot 7000 rounds before they have a chance to clean the weapon? If I remember right, basic load out when I was in was i think 210 rds. If I can't clean the weapon before I use up all my ammo in 33 firefights then I suppose I will have problems.

Not at all knocking the XCR. Hopefully someday I will own one, just because. But I don't feel underarmed or burdened with an inferior weapon with my DI AR.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 1:13:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would love to check on the XCR...looks like a fine weapon. I would never replace my AR's for one, but that's just me. Ergonomics on the AR for me is about as good as it gets.

And the fact that the XCR can go 7000 rounds without a malf is no doubt a great accomplishment. But really, how does that matter?!? That's like saying "My car can go 100k miles without an oil change before it siezes up". In reality, who the fuck is gonna drive a car 100k miles before they change the oil?!?   Who is gonna be required to shoot 7000 rounds before they have a chance to clean the weapon? If I remember right, basic load out when I was in was i think 210 rds. If I can't clean the weapon before I use up all my ammo in 33 firefights then I suppose I will have problems.

Not at all knocking the XCR. Hopefully someday I will own one, just because. But I don't feel underarmed or burdened with an inferior weapon with my DI AR.

I feel very similar, I may get one in the future, but I won't give up my M4s.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Conversion kit is basically a separate weapon, and turns your one gun into 2 guns.  Much cheaper than buying 2 Railed AR's.

I am seeing the SCAR weighs 6.8 lbs, and see the XCR also weighs 6.8 lbs.    When you say the SCAR is lighter are you talking about weight? or looks?  Or are you comparing earth weight  for the SCAR and Jupiter weight for tthe XCR?

But I can't pick up my "two" rifles, hand one to a friend or relative, and go shooting, unless they toss the rounds in the air and try to hit them with the conversion barrel baseball-style...

All I can say is I picked them up back to back and noticed quite a difference.

I have a 6.85lb AR (that's including an EOTech, VFG, BUIS, Surefire, and railed forend) and the SCAR felt lighter than that.

According to RobArms website, XCR-L weighs 7.5lbs unloaded.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Hey, XCR folks, might wanna fix up your website - I don't think you have 1/19 twist barrels
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I agree with you on all the above points, except one, the average firefight is 30 rounds not 210 rounds, so you are talking about 250 firefights between clean

The XCR and SCAR may be more modular and have more features, but I too believe the M4 is "good enough" and will not be going anywhere anytime soon, I see it still being used 20 years  or more into the future.  I don't see the SCAR being that much better than the XCR or the M4 for that matter.  

Where I give the XCR the nod is you get a whole lot more bang for your buck.  It is priced the same as a railed AR (again talking retail price of each, and not the price your grandma sold the gun to you), but yet you get quick barrel changes, quick caliber conversion, a folding stock, charging handle where it should be, and you get a weapon that runs cooler and cleaner.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

But I can't pick up my "two" rifles, hand one to a friend or relative, and go shooting, unless they toss the rounds in the air and try to hit them with the conversion barrel baseball-style...

I have a 6.85lb AR (that's including an EOTech, VFG, BUIS, Surefire, and railed forend) and the SCAR felt lighter than that.

http://www.azbattlerifles.com/images/slw.jpg

Your gun should be in the Guinness book of World Records, I have never seen an AR that light weight with all those accessories.  Since weight = mass x gravity, I am thinking the mass of your gun is the same as mine but the gravity pull in your house must be less than mine, hence why it is so light.

I do agree the point that some gun just feels lighter than others when shooting.  When shooting side by side with my AR (both guns have HB), the XCR does feel heavier even though both are about the same weight.  But this is only noticeable when shooting side by side.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your gun should be in the Guinness book of World Records, I have never seen an AR that light weight with all those accessories.  Since weight = mass x gravity, I am thinking the mass of your gun is the same as mine but the gravity pull in your house must be less than mine, hence why it is so light.

I calibrated the scale beforehand. It's a 16" barrel too, with a Smith Vortex.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do agree the point that some gun just feels lighter than others when shooting.  When shooting side by side with my AR (both guns have HB), the XCR does feel heavier even though both are about the same weight.  But this is only noticeable when shooting side by side.

An Eotech with batteries weigh close to 1lb.  Surefire light with batteries weighs about 1/4 lb.  Rails add about 1/4 lb more than plastic handguards.  VFG about 1/3 lb.  You realize what you have their is a sub 5 lb AR!  I think we should contact the Guiness Book of World Records!
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An Eotech with batteries weigh close to 1lb.  Surefire light with batteries weighs about 1/4 lb.  Rails add about 1/4 lb more than plastic handguards.  VFG about 1/3 lb.  You realize what you have their is a sub 5 lb AR!  I think we should contact the Guiness Book of World Records!

DD 7.0 lite rail is lighter than plastic handguards. EOTech 552 weighs 11.5oz.

6.85 - .75 (EOTech) - .25 - (Surefire) - .25 (Flashlight) = 5.6lbs

This is what a lightweight AR weighs, look it up.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#39]
I dont think anyone would argue that some of the better piston rifles, including the XCR arent superior in most ways to a standard direct impingement AR.  

The differentiating factors are cost and parts availability.  If you dont mind having a proprietary design, that you must go to the original manufacurer for replacement parts, then go for it.  

I dont know how big or financially stable Robinson is.  But if you look at companies like HK, Sig Sauer, Colt and LMT and their piston offerings.  (colt upcoming) you are at least reasonably sure you will be able to get parts for it.  I keep hoping for some standardization occurs in the AR piston world.  There is no doubt that it would help reliability for those at the pointy end of the sword.  (In my civilian world, my ARs are perfectly reliable.  But they arent exposed to moisture or dirt, and they get cleaned after every use)

I'd also say that in the Law Enforcement world, where cleanliness maintenance arent logistical problems, the DI Ar is fine.

Don
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BULL

That you remembered that.

That claim is still bullshit, btw.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Any one used XCR with a left hand, I know the bolt catch is Ambi. Just want to know how will it feel for left hand users? Also does Rob Arms have any plan for a left hand version any time soon?
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That you remembered that.

That claim is still bullshit, btw.

No, it's not, but a fucking ND waiting to happen like you isn't worth my time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Why not get both? Just stock up on parts that normally ware out with use. I can't imagine it would be that expensive to do so. Something I would do anyhow regardless of weather it's an AR or an XCR.

Though you've got to admit, the XCR is a good deal for how much it costs. Nice thing about the AR is if you build you can buy parts on a paycheck-to-paycheck basis and get almost exactly what you want.

Now if only there were a reliable 7.62x39 magazine...
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#44]
gameon:  I am left handed and have an XCR.  Operating the CH on the left side is easy as you just use your shooting hand while the rifle is held in the shooting position with your off hand.  I don't think RobArms is planning on making a lefty model as the only difference would be the ejection port on the other side.  I have 5 AR's and have never seen the need for a lefty model.  I NEVER get brass in my face, that is why brass deflectors were invented.  I added an ambi-safety and it already comes with an ambi-bolt release.  Alex is designing an ambi-mag relese which I will also get when they come out.  Like I said, I have 5 AR's and love them but I use my XCR a lot more.

Dog

ETA:  Here is how it looked a few weeks ago before I changed it around again.

Link Posted: 2/4/2009 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SCAR $3000

To clear up your misinformation, the XCR was not found lacking. It was one actualy one of the first rifles submited to the SCAR program and was disqualified because RA did not submit a blank fireing adapter along with the rifle. SOCOM never fired a single shot out of an XCR. They had their minds made up on the FN Mk16 more than likely prior to testing due to previous contracts. Side by side the XCR can and would hold its own to the FN gun. I own one, and would bet my life on its functionality.  The Mk16 is more complicated, requires a torque wrench to change the barrel, and has zero features that are better than the XCR, on top of that good luck finding one for under 5k... The XCR is US made, and is indeed a SCAR rifle by nature, just did not get a fair chance in the competition. If I recall, there where actualy 4 or 5 companies that sumbited SCAR rifles for testing, we only heard about one.

Link Posted: 2/4/2009 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

"""...and don't forget the more complicated break-down procedure for the XCR, I've done it, and you can't deny that it is more intricate than the AR. Which is a draw-back in a combat weapon IMO."""What a freakin' tard. The XCR breaks down faster than my M1a. Besides, with an XCR, it RUNS so you don't HAVE to break it down. You whining about something that does not take place with an XCR. Regular maintenance and lube splashing does not have to happen to keep it running like your ill equipped regular AR. pfft. draw back, what a tart. Doing regular maintenance on my COLT when I SHOULD BE sleeping is Frekkin' DRAW BACK! Having to fight with this crapper is a DRAW BACK!

A. Calling someone a "freakin' tard" sounds juvenile, and takes away from your credibility. You should also read the COC.
B. We are not talking about M1As & XCRs, we are comparing M4s & XCRs.
C. Regular maintenance is something any professional soldier does to all their weapons, regardless of model.
D. ARs do not have to be "splashing lube" to function, and they are far from "ill equipped".
E. From the nature of your post, I'd guess you haven't missed much sleep from cleaning your weapons after fighting with them.

Link Posted: 2/4/2009 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

To clear up your misinformation, the XCR was not found lacking. It was one actualy one of the first rifles submited to the SCAR program and was disqualified because RA did not submit a blank fireing adapter along with the rifle. SOCOM never fired a single shot out of an XCR. They had their minds made up on the FN Mk16 more than likely prior to testing due to previous contracts. Side by side the XCR can and would hold its own to the FN gun. I own one, and would bet my life on its functionality.  The Mk16 is more complicated, requires a torque wrench to change the barrel, and has zero features that are better than the XCR, on top of that good luck finding one for under 5k... The XCR is US made, and is indeed a SCAR rifle by nature, just did not get a fair chance in the competition. If I recall, there where actualy 4 or 5 companies that sumbited SCAR rifles for testing, we only heard about one.

Boo hoo, they should have read the requirements before they decided to play on the big field with the big boys. And they didn't get it (the BFA) in on time.

Of course, here comes the "It was a setup, FN was going to win" argument. Never mind the other heavy hitters in the test with a lot of lobbying power - that didn't win.

Have you ever examined a SCAR? How would you know if it can hold its own "side by side" if you haven't?
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Both.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Doing regular maintenance on my COLT when I SHOULD BE sleeping is Frekkin' DRAW BACK! Having to fight with this crapper is a DRAW BACK!

Having fought with the weapon numerous times, it takes no more than 5 minutes of maintenance to keep it running.  However that being said, it sounds you were part of an extremely ill-disciplined unit, if even even a modicum of maintenance on your weapons or gear is that much of a put out for you.  When you considered everything else that needs PMCS to run, if the 5 minutes to keep your gun up is too much, than you are going to die, period.  Machine guns, radios, vehicles all required an order of magnitude more maintenance than a rifle.
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top