Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
** don't paint it **

Here's the issue with your question...

If you have to wonder if you'll regret it in the morning, then there's no way you should paint it. The possibility that you might regret it tells me that you care about how it looks. The Krylon is a no brainer....don't. It chips and fades and looks like a plastic Walmart toy after 5 trips to the field. If you absolutely must paint it because you want a particular look, I recommend sending it to a PRO and talk through the process with them. If you're going to do it, do it right.

I would personally never paint a weapon unless it served a mission purpose.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]
where would I find the refinishing thread someone mentioned?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
where would I find the refinishing thread someone mentioned?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=19

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Paint it, it takes some balls to paint a $2K rifle!!!

It does!

Of all my arfs, one is painted. It does take some gonads. All I can bring myself to paint is an inexpensive ole Bushmaster M4gery. Turns out it’s one of my best rifles.

If you do paint it, paint it all... looks stoopid leaving the scope unpainted.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:06:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I would say leave it but thats just me, If I painted mine I know for sure I would regret it! But I do like they some of the camo looks, just it wont last!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:07:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't be a wuss, paint it.

It's not about being a poser, it's about thinking ahead and realizing you may want something that breaks up your outline more than a stark black carbine.

I suggest, if you're really concerned about it, paint just the furniture (pistol grip, stock, rail panels) with a can of Krylon ultra flat khaki or OD green.
If you decide you don't like the looks, just strip them.

When I did mine, I stripped it, hosed it with brake cleaner, started with a basecoat of green, and went to town. yes it'll wear off in high spots, it just shows you USE your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Use Krylon and then matte clear coat it that givesi ta much harder finish and yes it you use it finish wear will happen I have found just not as easy if its clear coated.Im sure guys in the service who do are using krylon to do theirs too or even paint thats used for vehicles.Im sure that paint through a large paint sprayer would be nice and you could proboaly do a base coat in like 5 seconds
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I have my sexed up AR's that are all black and will likely stay that way.

That said - here's the AR15 that see's 10X the use the others do:

This gun has changed skins a few times over the years...but it shoots true and never gives me even the slightest bit of trouble.  It just got a face lift with a new handguard and CTR stock.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#9]
My suggestion, take it apart, clean it really good and use Moly resin FDE and leave all the little parts black.  I love this one since I painted it
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I had the same thoughts before I "pressed the nozzle"!! ..............No regrets what so ever............ I do a lot of predator hunting so that has been my carbines "mission" as some of the other guys have said.  

Maybe paint the furniture first as a test?

Before Krylon
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq82/astrapat/IMG_3140.jpg

After 6 months
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq82/astrapat/photo-3.jpg
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#11]
My future plans my be adding accessories in color leaving the black of the receiver alone. If I did do the reciever I'd have something professionaly done in something tougher than paint. Nothing worse than a nice gun turned into what looks like a jalopy after a while.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#12]
leave it
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#13]
bulldogarms.com carries camo pattern stencils check them out.Duracoat is probably gonna be the best for duribility.I know the company that does NP$ I think its robar industries used to do camo weapons as well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#15]
thought about givin the stag  light tiger stripes, then letting the mud and dirtshow the signs of use.  i love painted and nonpainted, but seriously i dont think ur gonna notice a blackgun pointed right at you at a hundred yards.    its your gun, don let other people tell you what to do to YOUR gun do what YOU want.       P.S. your gun looks awsome   i wish i had the money for a real acog but for now i orded a clone.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#16]
It's not an AR, but I painted my cheapo Mossberg .30-06.

Base coat

Initial stripes

Almost done

Getting closer

Done. It blends in really well, I just haven't gotten a chance to go out in the woods where I was shooting for a long time because my buddy moved away to college and I haven't been out on his property since about February.

There was almost no pre-planning and no stencils or anything on this one, if I ever paint this AR I've got now there will be a lot more planning going into it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to be very into painting my rifles and I still have a few that are painted.  They were all fairly beat up before I painted them.  I've stripped the paint off of several too and have found if is very difficult to get all the paint off especially the paint residue if you start out with a light color as you should.  What I found after trial and error was to spray the whole thing with flat black first (after degreasing it well).  Let the flat black dry for a week.  Then camo it up.  If you later want to strip it the residue left behind will be black and not light tan which makes it barely if at all noticeable.

Now I'm taking a lot of classes and sell uppers or rifles often.  Since painting does hurt resale or takes time to remove- and one can train just as well with a black rifle as a camo one, I don't bother painting them.  If the time comes when I need to for SHTF or whatever I'll take a rattle can to it and in 15 minutes the Kylon camo job will be dry.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy a cheap airsoft model and paint it. if you hate it, sell it on ebay.

ETA: I painted my shotgun (Krylon Camo) and regretted it after when It got all scraped up and oil made it run and getting it on my cheek (3 months of curing in the attic). I took about 3 days getting it off and reparkerizing the barrel, mag tube and repainting the receiver and heat shield. Not worth it unless you use Duracote or Alumahyde.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:36:00 AM EDT
[#19]
The rifle I'm not so much concerned about.

It's the thought of painting a $1300 optic that gives me pause.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:42:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The rifle I'm not so much concerned about.

It's the thought of painting a $1300 optic that gives me pause.

I know what you mean.  It took me about 2 years to grow a pair and paint my Leup. Mark 4 4.5x14x50 illum scope.
But I finally did with duracoat and I'm glad I did it now.  Prep work is the key though and take your time.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:16:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Before:

During:

After:

I don't regret it. I have another all black AR but this one is for predator hunting, not sure if it was really necessary but I like it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:20:52 AM EDT
[#22]
If you like the worn look on an AR15, the best way to acheive that is take the weapon out on several weekend camping trips.  While hiking around, drag the weapon behind you.  I found the best way to make a gun look like is worn is to tape the weapon up where you do not want paint to go (glass), then hang the gun by the stock.  While it is slowly spinning take two cans of paint, one in each hand and spray.  OD green and FDE.   Stay 12" away and let the mist coat the weapon, keep the cans and the gun moving.  Never stop, never go backwards over what you just sprayed.  One coat at a time.  Start at the butt stock and move down, stop at the FH, go have a beer.  Repeat, when a six pack is done, the weapon is too.  Make sure you stay 12" away with the paint cans.  After a couple days, then take the gun hiking.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I think the best way for an AR to look used is to actually use it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Yep... I bought a cheap airsoft to practice painting on.  When you get it right, then duplicate the pattern on the real thing
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you like the worn look on an AR15, the best way to acheive that is take the weapon out on several weekend camping trips.  While hiking around, drag the weapon behind you.  I found the best way to make a gun look like is worn is to tape the weapon up where you do not want paint to go (glass), then hang the gun by the stock.  While it is slowly spinning take two cans of paint, one in each hand and spray.  OD green and FDE.   Stay 12" away and let the mist coat the weapon, keep the cans and the gun moving.  Never stop, never go backwards over what you just sprayed.  One coat at a time.  Start at the butt stock and move down, stop at the FH, go have a beer.  Repeat, when a six pack is done, the weapon is too.  Make sure you stay 12" away with the paint cans.  After a couple days, then take the gun hiking.

Pic of the end result?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pic of the end result?

Sure...watch Black Hawk Down...lol
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Here's mine...I practiced on some cardboard that I cut out in the shape of my rifle.  Base coat is Norrell's moly resin and pattern is krylon.  The Norrells is holding up awesome.  Solvent won't begin to take it off.  The krylon comes off with use and overspray solvents but touch is very easy.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Didn't regret it but I turned

Into,

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I feel your pain dog!!
I painted 20 magazines in ACU digital, with the thought that I would paint the whole rifle to match. Then I decided knowing me, I might get have regrets about "doing" the whole rifle. So I backed off and thought about it while.
I came to the decision after seeing ACU in the field, that I don't think its the best camo pattern. So, all I have done is paintted my mags ACU, not the whole riifle. I am glad I didn't paint the rifle. That said, I don't like an all-black rifle. I do like some of the subdued color patterns out there. I have chosen to mix up the furniture colors on my 16" middy. FDE buttstock, grip, rubber cover for the Aimpoint. When I get around to putting a freefloat tube on, I will look into those Magpul XTM panels in 3 different colors to match the ACU of my Mags. Yes, fear of commitment!!! I know I would regret painting the rifle, this way I have more options. Good luck.

Dr.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
leave it

This

That

Those
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
leave it

This

That

Those

Them

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Here's my painted Bushy.  LOVE IT.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#33]
I've never cared for the painted guns. If you think you are going to regret it already, then don't do it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Pick up a beat up gun and paint it.  That's what I plan on doing when I have some spare cash.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm sitting here, on the edge of painting the ar...I'm just wondering how much I'll regret it afterwards.
Always loved the look of a faded, used up painted AR....

Thinking from this:
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy162/jessejacques123/SANY0479.jpg

To something along the lines of one of these:?  I like the basic, nothing fancy.
A)
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy162/jessejacques123/M4ACOGunsuppressedminuspeq2apainted.jpg
B)
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy162/jessejacques123/M4ACOGunsuppressedminuspeq2apain-1.jpg

Paint or leave it alone?

You have just made me want to krylon my mags using your color scheme from "B".  
I am headed to wally word to get some paint!

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
leave it

This

That

Those

These

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Painting your AR is a lot like getting a tattoo –– if you have any doubts, don't do it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Just get some foliage/OD/FDE furniture for it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Painting your AR is a lot like getting a tattoo –– if you have any doubts, don't do it.

Yeah, well said.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#40]
It will no longer be a " black rifle ".
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, well said.

Well, at least you can hose off krylon with carb cleaner.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Paint a different gun.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Dremel it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I did an 870 with Krylon. It looked great until I decided to clean it. Hoppes #9 dribbled down the muzzle and in 5 seconds when I wiped it off, the paint went with it.

Do it in Krylon and it can be undone. Paint without fear my friend, paint without fear. What's the point in having the hottest gal in town if she is going to remain a virgin for evar?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top