Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:33:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#2]
You know, I didn`t mean to start a war as to what is the "correct" way to operate your weapon.  Since I only shoot at a range I`m really not to worried about what is "fastest" or most "reliable".  

Quoted:
So what happens when you don't apply enough force and the charging handle doesn't have enough inertia to kick the bolt carrier back enough to release it? What then? I know what happens...
hr

Do it again, thats what happens.  No biggie, I don`t think the guy next to me is gonna turn and shoot me cause I failed to lock up my rifle the first try...............  If I was ever in a situation where I needed my AR for defense.....I would probably use the bolt release.  But at the range I`m gonna spare that wear on the boltface.  I have plenty of charging handles laying around so I`d rather replace a worn charging handle than a bolt.

Plus, I just happen to like doing it this way......looks cool
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I've used the slide release/bolt release on all my weapons to load the first round and on tactical reloads, and have never had a failure. I don't believe in having useless features on my guns, if it doesn't work, it goes back. Why have a bolt/slide release if it doesn't work properly?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:27:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, on many pistols a "slide release" is not a "slide release" at all, but a "slide stop". The Glock comes to mind.  

Funny, I never really saw this technique until the Glock with its flat nub of a slide release got popular.  Suddenly this was "the way" to do it for all pistols.

What? You arguing with me now?!?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#5]
My now 13 yr old Glock 17 has nevered failed to fire when using the slide lock/release lever to load the first round, and if it ever did fail, it would be returned or replaced with a weapon that did function properly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, I admit, I have not been to every firearms academy in the world. But there's an easier way of finding this stuff out from the "experts". Watch an IDPA or IPSC competition and tell me how many guys even touch the slide with their weak hand except to clear a jammed round or to chamber the first round.

The fingering the first round is done while you're bringing it from your belt to your gun. It's actually pretty natural since you almost point at the mag well with your index finger while making sure the first round is properly seated to the back of the mag. Try it out next time you're at the range, it's surprisingly easy and very quick.

Like I said before, if the slide release breaks off in your gun, YOU HAVE A SHITTY GUN. I don't care how much you paid for it, I don't care if it's a custom 1911, Glock, whatever. If any part of a pistol has ever broken off, it's a piece of crap and you should NEVER have bought it in the first place, much less had your life rely on it.

Finally I agree, you should always reload before you run out of bullets in which case if you get in the habit of pulling back on the slide every time you reload, under stress you might accidentally rack the slide and have one less bullet to work with. That's obviously not going to happen with a slide release.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, on many pistols a "slide release" is not a "slide release" at all, but a "slide stop". The Glock comes to mind.  

Funny, I never really saw this technique until the Glock with its flat nub of a slide release got popular.  Suddenly this was "the way" to do it for all pistols.

No, Im taking on the "conform to the Glock Standard."

I was taught this on 1911's... In my experience the 1911's are pickey about when and if they chamber that first round and was taught to rack the slide and not use the slide release. This was taught to me in the USMC on the M9 first and when I went through school to be a PMI we were taught the reason was due to feed problems and that the 1911's were famouse for this. I have owned several 45's and almost all the ones I have had that were stock standard normal 1911's had this problem. The one NM Springfield I owned fed flawlessly reguardless of what you did though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I also own both Glocks and Sigs and I never use the slide release on either one of those type pistols. I do use it on my AR though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, Im taking on the "conform to the Glock Standard."

Yo lump, I said MANY pistols, I did not say all. XD's function the same way in this respect as Glocks. I konw you're an anti conformist! Now reply to my IM.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate to say it, but if some of you have a gun and you're affraid to use a slide release or bolt release because it might break, then the gun is a POS. But I doubt any of you have something like that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Glock and several other schools teach the slingshot technique for pistols as it is a gross motor skill, rather than a fine motor skill. On a Glock the slide stop is just that. The only draw back to the slingshot technique is that with some pistols with slide mounted safetys you can activate the safety while grabbing the rear of the slide. The M-16/AR boltcatch/release is made to be slapped with the palm of the hand. again a gross motor skill not a fine motor skill.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Reality check

Operating a firearm consists of a series of fine motor movements. Sight alignment, trigger control, magazine release and yes, slide release – are all fine motor skills.

Arguing that you won’t be able manipulate the slide lock but somehow will remember to punch the magazine release, perform a reload and manipulate the trigger effectively is the second dumbest argument of all time (9mm vs. 4x being the all time winner)

Gross motor skills apply to clubs, shovels and virgins fucking.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#15]
caneau, in an IDPA or IPSC match, no one is shooting back, your life is not in danger.  Just because guys shooting a match use the slide stop doesn't make it right.  

Most of the major firearms academy's teach the slingshot.  They teach that method for the reason I stated in my first post.  That is, loss of fine motor skill.  I don't give a damn how easy anybody thinks it is or how natural anybody thinks it is to hit the slide stop/release.  Under life threatening stress, you are gonna get your ass killed fumbling with a slide release.

I don't know what kind of mag carriers you use.  But in mine, the ammo is in the carrier pointed to the ground.  I pull the mag out and slam it in the mag well, slingshot the slide and the gun is back in operation in a second.  My fingers are no where near the ammo so I could "check" it.

On the AR, I use the bolt release.  Like others said, smacking that with your palm is a gross motor skill.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Plus, I just happen to like doing it this way......looks cool

This statement alone should completely end this discussion.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#18]
None of my AR's have a bolt hold/bolt release mechanism. But I always use them on my 1911's.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I could see how useing the realese on a 1911 might cause more wear and tear on the realese sear, I always pulle the slide back to chamber it. Same way with my G22c.

My AR I do use the bolt catch,

I dont think it matters much, especially iy you know how to replace the parts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Reality check

Operating a firearm consists of a series of fine motor movements. Sight alignment, trigger control, magazine release and yes, slide release – are all fine motor skills.

Arguing that you won’t be able manipulate the slide lock but somehow will remember to punch the magazine release, perform a reload and manipulate the trigger effectively is the second dumbest argument of all time (9mm vs. 4x being the all time winner)

Gross motor skills apply to clubs, shovels and virgins fucking.

I can see your logic, but take it to any first-class tactical shooting academy and let me know how far it gets.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#24]

If any part of a pistol has ever broken off, it's a piece of crap and you should NEVER have bought it in the first place, much less had your life rely on it.

Horse crap.  All guns can break, and if yours never have, you are either very lucky, or don't shoot very much.  I've had front sights fly off, adjustable rear sights break, had extractors break, had gas blocks on ARs shoot loose, and seen a boatload of other breakdowns.

If you break an extractor, how does that make the rest of the gun a piece of crap?

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Just because it's being taught doesn't always make it the best for you. Beware the instructor that says you have to do it this way.

Point well taken, but you can rest assured that I'm old enough to know that and the instructors I pay are smart enough and are successful enough to know the difference between sound tactical instruction and dogma.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#26]
[quoteThe ONLY reason it's not recomended on a handgun is because in a self defense situation, under stress, you will loose your fine motor skills. Putting your thumb on that slide stop is definetly a fine motor skill, where as grabbing the slide and jerking backward to chamber the round is not.

Look at the parts diagrams of most pistols. The nomenclature usually calls it a slide stop, not a release.
quote]

My $.02  I use the bolt release on my AR. and as to the slide release vs. slide stop. I think it's more about technique then one is better vs. the other. I like to use the "Pull back on the slide to release" method as it's easier for me to manipulate my slide then  trying to get my thumb to pull down on the slide stop under slide spring tension. I stick with that technique and practice that way. But I would think that would benifit you if you had to speed reload a quick pick up pistol you may not be that intimately familar with. even though most autos are pretty similar with respect to their slide.
I certainly don't use the "pull the slide back" technique cause I'm afraid of breaking my slide stop or that it may do something terrible to the first round it chamber's.

It's "A way" not "The way" as I have heard from a certain instructor..........
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I have never said my way was the only correct way... it is just what I use. I think useing the slide release is not a bad idea if it is what you are taught, I just dont do it... What I DO NOT reccomend is someone useing the slide release when there is no round to be chamberd, that pisses me off to no extent when someone even tries that with one of my pistols.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#28]
There is more than one way to skin this cat.

Its personal choice. I have tried both ways and neither is more effecient or quicker even under stress.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#29]
After speaking with many LEOs and taking a CCW class along with lots of shooting--the consensus is that during times of increased stress (not just high stress), people lose fine motor control (Go gaspipes).  In times like this, only a firm grip with the palm of your weak hand against the side of the slide with your fingers grasping over the top of the slide and finger pads held against the opposite side of the slide--all fingers aligned, HOLD the slide and with your shooting hand, "punch" the gun forward to rack the slide.  After lots of practice, it works with all semis and works every time, unless I fail to grip like I mean it.  Don't try to grip the slide from behind with a thumb and forefinger (AKA the "key grip) and try to pull the slide rearward.   A good friend who was referred to as a gunslinger by one of his New Mexico State Police instructors has excellent control, is very quick to make this motion, and can do it with any of his guns because he does it the same way all the time.  It doesn't really matter how you do it, as long as you can do it under stress every time.  If you think you might have a little trouble, or not get it every time, go with my advice.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it can hurt the handgun.  Those little slide stops break off.  Glocks do have a problem with this.

Never seen one break, not from pressing it to release the slide anyway.  Got 4 Glocks.  Thousands of rounds through them.  Broken several parts, never a slide stop though.  In any case, they are cheap and easy to replace.

The Local PD has had a rash of problems with broken slide releases.  They used to be taught to use the slide release.  They are not taught that anymore.  They are taught to reach across the slide and pull back.

A broken slide release can't be replaced when you are in a shootout and it falls off.  Train for failures because they will happen at the worst times possible.

Guns that are used 2 to 4 times a year have a rash of slide release problems............but mine, used daily......cannot break as hard as I try?  Stats, please.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I use the release on the AR, simpler.
On my handgun, my law enforcement training recommends a quick partial rack of the slide instaed of the release.
The reasoning is that there are two factors in play, fine motor coordination and gross motor coordination.
The slide release on most stock guns is relatively small and requires fine motor coordination to release. Racking the slide partially is a gross motor operation.
In a stress situation, a gross motor operation is "always" easier to accomplish.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:13:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I use the release on the AR, simpler.
On my handgun, my law enforcement training recommends a quick partial rack of the slide instaed of the release.
The reasoning is that there are two factors in play, fine motor coordination and gross motor coordination.
The slide release on most stock guns is relatively small and requires fine motor coordination to release. Racking the slide partially is a gross motor operation.
In a stress situation, a gross motor operation is "always" easier to accomplish.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Since I shoot an antique, that was designed over 100 years ago to be slammed  home with your thumb on that big lever, I don't have a problem with how anyone else wants to do it. I am going to be going quickly on target with my antique while youse guys do the breststroke with your pistol. long live the 1911.

edited heavily.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I never use the slide release on a pistol... But I always use the bolt release on the M16/M4 rifles...

ditto

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just curious, don't let me hijack...

Why is it not recommended that one use the slide release on a pistol?

Well, on many pistols a "slide release" is not a "slide release" at all, but a "slide stop". The Glock comes to mind. By not pulling back the slide from the slide stop and releasing it, rather than using the "slide stop" you are robbing the recoil spring of nearly 10% of tension that it could use to go back into battery. This tension could be the difference between teh round chambering or not. 95% of the time it won't matter really but.....

Besides this reason there is also the muscle memory. Firing with gloves on can make it difficult to manipulate a "slide release" and leave you hanging trying to charge your weapon. There is also the muscle memory involved when going through immediate actions dills.

If you do this the same way every time you will remember it. Grab the slide behind the ejection port, with your hand cupped over the slide, thumb towards you. Yank it back at yourself and release.

On the otherhand, I use the bolt release on my AR.

Repeat the above x100

I wrote a lengthy reply to just this question a couple of years ago.  Of course, all it was was a complilation of conversations with and reading articles from truly learned folks in the art of pistolcraft "as it applies to COMBAT".  None of the ideas were mine. Not a SASS speed shoot or GSSF shoot, but combat.  Now for an experienced shooter like myself, I said experienced - not outstanding or accomplished, it would be ok to use the slide LOCK as a release at a competition for speed that required a mag change.  For me - I would have to consciously MAKE MYSELF use the slide lock because I never, ever, ever use it to release the slide on a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious, don't let me hijack...

Why is it not recommended that one use the slide release on a pistol?

I can pick my nose with gloves on.  In the rain too.    

That's definitely too much information
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Of course none of these example's even compare with dropping the bolt release on a FAL! It will definatly get your attention, and watch your fingers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Get rid of the tac-latch if you want your upper to last.  Trust me on this one.  Get a military latch.

'Splain?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I use both on the AR and pistol all the time, if the maker put it there it should work without any problems otherwise the gun is a POS

amen
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Pulling the slide back takes two hands and takes longer.  Pulling the charging handle back is slower and adds drag of the charging handle. eieio
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Charging handle all the way. Less to go wrong, only works one way, also part of malf clearing and loading. KISS

Bolt stop is an admin item as in "unload and show clear."

You think the big boys stick those stupid honking extended charging handle latches on their M4s so they can hang their mittens there?

scottinHI,

All ARs will do that. If the mag is loaded nothing is activating the bolt stop. When the bolt moves to the rear the bolt stop will drop out of the way of the bolt.

I understand how the bolt stop works. It was just a joke because while everyone here is arguing about how to use the bolt release or charging handle I was just saying that you don't have to use either *joke* . It's just irritating when you're inbetween magazine changes (no magazine in well) and you bump something in just the right way and whoops there goes the bolt.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:14:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:49:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Ok I'll slow down . Sometimes this is a moody forum, everyone can be serious one second then telling you to shoot it in the face the next. Where's a markm comment when you need it? [/hijack]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:52:59 AM EDT
[#45]
If you have seen the Mel Gibson movie " We Were Soldiers " you will notice they always slap the bolt release to charge their AR's . If it is/ was good enough for the cavalry , it's good enough for me .
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
If you have seen the Mel Gibson movie " We Were Soldiers " you will notice they always slap the bolt release to charge their AR's . If it is/ was good enough for the cavalry , it's good enough for me .

Because movies are always so super accurate right J/K... I agree with the method, in fact talking about movies (I am aware there is real life out there other than movies but...) in Black Hawk Down the guy who plays Randy Shugart slingshots his .45 during the fighting at Durants Helicopter. Like I said, I know it is just a movie but I thought it was cool to see, seeing how they all went through that little course with Delta to learn some of that crap... Same with the actors in we were soldiers, they went through training at Ft Benning with the Infantry.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top