User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You definitely need to get some pointers from that guy in the other thread that used to do 6" groups at 500 meters with iron sights.  He'll be able to tell you how to shoot!

Link Posted: 2/16/2009 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Coyote fever!!!
Similar to buck fever
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sounds like something is loose... I'd check the sights and mounts.

Ditto.......  Locktite is known in "the Old Country" as Coyote's Bane.

And thank you for not saying "Yotes".....
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I would jus tbe glad you could find that thing... Its clamiflaged!

Everything has to come together, one weak link (bad barrel, bad ammo, loose scope ring, loose mount, crappy scope, whatever) and you will never be able to group.

What is your rate of twist? If it is wrong for your bullet you may not be stabilizing them properly for optimal performance.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#5]
55 grain ammo will not stabilize effectively in some 1:9 barrels. Check that out on a zero range.

It sounds like you have issues with scope adjustments and zero retention.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya my twist rate is 1:9. and i am going to try some heavier grain bullets this friday.

also my barrel is chromoly, not chrome lined. supposedly (from what i've read) chromoly is more accurate. i am 90% sure its not my scope mount, 98% sure its not my gun, 70% sure its not my ammo, and 20% sure its not my scope. The only reason i say i dont think its my scope is because i got a fairly consistent 5 shot group yesterday hitting about 1 to 2 inches high and 1 to 2 inches right. so possibly just could have gotten bumped. I am not sure, This friday will be the end all
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Stop cleaning it

are your bad shots from a just cleaned barrel?

50 rounds is just getting it going.

Link Posted: 2/16/2009 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Stop cleaning it

are your bad shots from a just cleaned barrel?

50 rounds is just getting it going.

U know i wondered the same thing! I have some rifles that NEVER EVER get cleaned, like my brothers 22-250 that i killed three coyotes all around 150-200 yards with a couple weeks ago, and they shoot great. I didn't know if maybe i should just let my R-15 go from some cleaning for awhile. But i have heard the ChroMoly barrels need to be cleaned and maintained better than the chrome lined ones. Anyone else's thoughts on this?

Link Posted: 2/17/2009 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a bunch of Remington 55 grain hollow points i am thinking of trying today with the gun vise if its not too windy here in Okrahoma
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I grew up raising cattle, my dad still does.  I also grew up shooting coyotes, we often shot 100 a year on our place.  As a matter of fact I shot one Sunday on the way to the rifle range.  I'd just put a scope on a new BCM upper, so didn't have it sighted in so had to use the only rifle I had with me that was ready to go- the Whitworth .375 H&H.  One shot at 240 yards, one coyote with a six inch hole in his shoulder.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I would think that your problem is the scope.  

Don't feel too bad.  I was out shooting at rabbits with the .22 the other day and missed one 10 ft in front of me.  I aimed at his head and the round went right over it.  The rabbit then ran away.  Infuriating, I tell you.  I forgot that  I zeroed the scope at about 70 yds or so, so of course it is going to shoot high at 10ft.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I grew up raising cattle, my dad still does.  I also grew up shooting coyotes, we often shot 100 a year on our place.  As a matter of fact I shot one Sunday on the way to the rifle range.  I'd just put a scope on a new BCM upper, so didn't have it sighted in so had to use the only rifle I had with me that was ready to go- the Whitworth .375 H&H.  One shot at 240 yards, one coyote with a six inch hole in his shoulder.

100 a year?! man thats a lot. Me and my brother have killed 14 since middle of november, since the first day of rifle deer season. I really enjoy calling them in but 10 out of the 14 were shot while feeding cows. Thats why I love my R-15 with the collapsable stock. Can easliy get it and be on target fast while in the pickup and be ready when we stop. When, If, I get this rifle sighted in, thinking of entering in one of those coyote  contests. one just north of me i heard the winner took home $9,900 and 7 coyotes won it! Its a one day deal, 2 man teams and 7 coyotes in one day isn't impossible but i would say pretty good. anyways its too windy today to go shoot so i;ll have to wait until thursday or friday
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Forest, I said some barrels. A close friend had a Bushy 1:9 that would not stabilize Federal 55 grain well. He started feeding it 62 grain, and 100 yard groups went from 6" to 1.5".I know 1:9 is supposed to be the compromise twist that will do everything, but there is an exception to every rule. One of the fascinating things about this hobby is sometimes weird things happen.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#15]
loose barrel?  get recrowned?
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, I'll fess up....I'm your neighbor and I saw the truck parked and twisted the W & E knobs as a joke, sorry dude, didn't want you to go nuts!! LOL

Hey seriously, it's nice to hear I'm not the only guy who misses sometimes! I had to go thru a few brands and weights of bullets before I found some really accurate factory ammo
that my rifle likes. Hang in there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And use some blue Loctite.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#18]
just my 2 cents, but this may be a case oft he scope mounts being TOO TIGHT.   I would remove them to verify you did not crush the scope tube.

I think the most commen mistake is tighening hte scope mounts as tight as humanly possible.  This will destroy accuracy and possiblt damage the scope.
I would call Larue and ask what they recommend you torque the scope mounts too.  

Many are suprissed when they find out the spec is in INCH pounds not FOOT pounds.    

The mounts on my .270 are speced at 26 in. lbs.   use a little lock tight and they will never shoot loose.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got back from the "range" (a piece of plywood leaned up against a round bale). A little windy today but got some good results. My first 10 round group from 100 yards was hitting 2.5 inches low and 1 inch right. fairly consistent group. Moved the Elevation turret 6 clicks up (1/4 inch a click) and then shot a 3 shot group (i know 3 shot groups are bad and frowned upon but only had 20 rounds) and it was hitting about 1.5 inches right. So moved it another 6 clicks left and bingo bango bongo BULLSEYE with the next 4 rounds. Was shooting my factory loaded Remington Hollow points from wal-mart, i think 55 grain, i lost the box so not sure. Had the gun in a loahman's sight vise and that helped. After all that i set up a shotgun shell and hit the brass just below the primer on my second shot 100 yards away. So i am pretty pleased. Can't wait to go call in some coyotes.

The Target on the left was my first ten shots at 100 yards with a just cleaned barrel. The target on the right has 3 rounds touching the bullseye just a tad high and one just to the right. the one shot really high on the right target was my friend shooting his 22lr at those shotgun shells, dropped about 8 inches at 100 yards lol. The shotgun shell that looks like the guys nose is the one i shot after i took this picture.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Way to many options for your poll. But I'd guess its either you, or the scope. Have a friend shoot it. If that still doesn't work, you know its something in the rifle/scope.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#21]
new grouping pic i know its only three shots but I PROMISE to put up some real groups by this weekend.
Remington R-15
Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40
LaRue SPR
Remington 55gr JHP

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#22]

The NEW custom pinestraw camo paint job

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#23]
well it looks like you got your problem sorted out . that one coyote looks pretty mangy. good shooting .
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

THIS
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Keep trying till you get the bastard ass coyote. Damn they are worse than rats, except they kill dogs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
well it looks like you got your problem sorted out . that one coyote looks pretty mangy. good shooting .

YA i dont know what the problem was but i guess its fixed now. THats the first and only mangy coyote i've seen this year, glad to get her out of the pack.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:22:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Im a country boy myself
allways carried a weapon in my Trucks gun rack

If your mounts and scope aint super tight and solid  or a cheap scope

It can loosen up

From bumps in the road gravel etc!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:25:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
55 grain ammo will not stabilize effectively in some 1:9 barrels. .

What the heck are you talking about?

OMG

I shoot 45gr HP all day long with a LMT M4 1/7 twist
great accuracy

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:27:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Forest, I said some barrels. A close friend had a Bushy 1:9 that would not stabilize Federal 55 grain well. He started feeding it 62 grain, and 100 yard groups went from 6" to 1.5".I know 1:9 is supposed to be the compromise twist that will do everything, but there is an exception to every rule. One of the fascinating things about this hobby is sometimes weird things happen.

I dont belive a  Barrel with 1/9 twist wont shoot 55gr bullets straight

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top