Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's one of the best no BS threads on the Aimpoint vs EOTech by a bunch guys who've BTDT.  Read it and learn.

www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=955&an=0&page=0#955

Good read!  Cements my preference too.

Yeah, it cements my preference too...

Wow, that was extremely informative.  I think I'm gonna go spend some quality time with my M2!
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Aimpoint like our military uses
glass is well protected and you can put a kill flash on it
battery lasts forever

as far as moa shooting all you have to do is decrease the brightness and the dot gets smaller - Duh
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Im still sold on the aimpoint guys...

and ESPECIALLY after reading that 10-8 thread.

That thread right there is reason enough to go Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You have to consider the level of professional experience in that 10-8 thread. Frankly, it amazes me that those guys are willing to share their professional observations to anyone who asks. I would gladly pay to have access to that level of quality information.

It's time for a SWAT subscription I reckon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You have to admit a lot of good stuff was also said about the EOTech's too.  In fact you'll notice a lot of the die hard Aimpoint guys where starting to take more notice of the EOTech and even a few of them have gotten the Rev F models for further testing.  I'm a firm believer in the EOTech and I really believe that the durablity and battery issues have been resolved with the Rev F and things will only get better with the newer revisions.

I hope Chuck on 10-8 is able to convince EOTech to make a 123 battery model, that would be the shiznit!

Hey, we know the AK is more reliable than an AR but we also know which one is the better overall system!

Seriously,  both sights are great and it really boils down to personal preference and what works best for you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 4:12:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Aimpoint holds zero better and works better in cold temp for me, but eyes with astimagtism is sensitive to aimpoint.  My eotech's wiindage has a tendency tomigrate to the right.  I had 100+ astimagtism after my first laser eye surgery and I couldnot use aimppoint effectively at all.  I can only use it again after my second enhancement. Couple years ago I could easily engage target at 300m but once the astimagtism kicks in I could only use it at 150m mxTHe eotech seems to be a bit more forgiving in this area.  The eotech battery sometime get stuck in the housing at low temp and disconnected from the connecting point.  Aimpoint seems to be much more reliable and much easier to manipulated in winter.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 4:30:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Aimpoint holds zero better and works better in cold temp for me, but eyes with astimagtism is sensitive to aimpoint.  My eotech's wiindage has a tendency tomigrate to the right.  I had 100+ astimagtism after my first laser eye surgery and I couldnot use aimppoint effectively at all.  I can only use it again after my second enhancement. Couple years ago I could easily engage target at 300m but once the astimagtism kicks in I could only use it at 150m mxTHe eotech seems to be a bit more forgiving in this area.  The eotech battery sometime get stuck in the housing at low temp and disconnected from the connecting point.  Aimpoint seems to be much more reliable and much easier to manipulated in winter.  

What Rev is your EOTech.  The problem you described documented issue with some the older revisions.  I would give EOTech a call, they will take care of you and possibly even upgrade your sight to the newest revision.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 5:08:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Eotech, because it looks more evil!
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 5:22:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It's meaningful posts like this that help you maintain your 14 post/day average.

I have both but prefer the Aimpoints for many of the reasons folks have listed here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 5:39:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Aimpoint or Eotech? YOU decide. pics

I guess owning two E0 techs means I already decided a long time ago.

FAST FAST
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's meaningful posts like this that help you maintain your 14 post/day average.

I have both but prefer the Aimpoints for many of the reasons folks have listed here.

Oh dont get your panties in a wad.  Most of the reasons already stated here is the reason I picked the Eotech and because to me it looks EVIL!

at least im not trolling the thread
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh dont get your panties in a wad.  Most of the reasons already stated here is the reason I picked the Eotech and because to me it looks EVIL!

I normally don't respond to posts like this but I found your comment so useless, I had to respond.

Choosing an optic because it looks "evil" is just plain silly. An optic is a tool and you should pick the tool that will help you get the job done. How you feel about an optic's "looks" is incredibly subjective so offering your opinion on this subject is not helping anyone make a decision.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I normally don't respond to posts like this but I found you comment so useless, I had to respond.

Choosing an optic because it looks "evil" is just plain silly. An optic is a tool and you should pick the tool that will help you get the job done. How you feel about an optic's "looks" is incredibly subjective so offering your opinion on this subject is not helping anyone make a decision.

If you went over to the AK side of the site you would of understood what I meant....

Well carry on
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My eyes have alot  of astimagtism, if I don't really concentrate on focusing on the target not the site, the redot gets distorted. Is this what happens with you and what do people like us do about it?

Perry
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I normally don't respond to posts like this but I found you comment so useless, I had to respond.

If you went over to the AK side of the site you would of understood what I meant....

Well carry on

repub18:  I for one, thank you for your comments.  It's helped make a decision on what I'll buy.

I, too, base part of my decision on how the product looks mounted on the rifle.

Whiney little girls like the above are the same kind who complain about those of us who go blasting or bump firing, rather than sit on the bench with your AR-15 and take single precise shots at paper targets.

We're not the "purists" of the shooting sports, so our opinion doesn't matter.

I notice that the wanna-be moderator didn't complain about the person who voiced support (in the second or third post of this thread) for the Aimpoint because it looks "cool".

Quite a subjective little complainer, aren't we?  How about we leave the moderating to the moderators, Bucky?  Or is your pro-bono moderating how you maintain your post average?
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well carry on

repub18:  I for one, thank you for your comments.  It's helped make a decision on what I'll buy.

I, too, base part of my decision on how the product looks mounted on the rifle.

Whiney little girls like the above are the same kind who complain about those of us who go blasting or bump firing, rather than sit on the bench with your AR-15 and take single precise shots at paper targets.

We're not the "purists" of the shooting sports, so our opinion doesn't matter.

I notice that the wanna-be moderator didn't complain about the person who voiced support (in the second or third post of this thread) for the Aimpoint because it looks "cool".

Quite a subjective little complainer, aren't we?  How about we leave the moderating to the moderators, Bucky?  Or is your pro-bono moderating how you maintain your post average?

I won't even diginify your drivel with a response. If you want to continue this meaningful conversation, lets take to the Pit since it seems you have more of issue with my comments then repub18.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I won't even diginify your drivel with a response.

You just did.

If you want to continue this meaningful conversation, lets take to the Pit since it seems you have more of issue with my comments then repub18.

No thanks!  Have a nice day!
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 11:44:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Why can’t we all just get along?
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 12:05:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 3:40:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 3:47:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

And why do you think this optic looks „evil“???HO
Maybe evil looks the operator of the gun……..
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 4:23:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1  

Oh and Eotech's website has the cooler simulator......
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Alright, alright, I'm sorry.

Why would I choose Eotech over Aimpoint?

Well, the America's Army playing side of me wants the Aimpoint, so my Bushy M4gery will look like one of the rifles in the game.

The goon side of me thinks that the Eotech looks cooler.

The Aimpoint has a dot reticle only, correct?  And the Eotech has that cool bullseye looking thing?

Not sure which is more practical, but I like the nifty reticles more than the dots (my Kobra's have spoiled me, I'm sure), so I vote Eotech.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Alright, alright, I'm sorry.

Why would I choose Eotech over Aimpoint?

Well, the America's Army playing side of me wants the Aimpoint, so my Bushy M4gery will look like one of the rifles in the game.

The goon side of me thinks that the Eotech looks cooler.

The Aimpoint has a dot reticle only, correct?  And the Eotech has that cool bullseye looking thing?

Not sure which is more practical, but I like the nifty reticles more than the dots (my Kobra's have spoiled me, I'm sure), so I vote Eotech.

Not sure I follow the logic, but either way you'll have a fine red dot optic.  Better than any Kobra out there.  No offense to the Ruskies...
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Well your eye has a easier time focusing on one red dot then a whole bunch of other shit. The other shit is GREAT for shooting when your not in a rush. If I had to go into Battle, I would take the Aimpoint with the one dot and long lasting batteries.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't know why people are bitching over this, because they are two equivalent sights quality and speed wise for all practical purposes. Both are durable, well made sights, and our armed forces are employing both.

These are the reasons why I picked Eotech over an Aimpoint back in the summer of 2001:

1. I don't need a special mount. I can mount the sight right on to the flattop and co-witness with my iron sights. I don't even need loc-tite, and I haven't used it yet. I may get the GG&G clamp, but I honestly don't need a QD mount with the frequency I go shooting. Regardless, I saved myself over $100 by not having to purchase a GG&G or KAC cantilever mount for an Aimpoint.

2. I like the fact I have a 1 MOA dot and a large outer ring, so I can use either for precise or fast shooting respectively. I think a 4 MOA dot (M2/ML2 variant) is too large to be of much use beyond 75 yards with my -10 D eyes. It's hard enough for me to shoot at something out at 100 yards let alone 75. A large dot doesn't help my cause. Now the new 2 MOA Aimpoint solves this problem, but I'd imagine we're going to see newer revs of Eotech with multiple dots, much like the Russian Kobra sight.

3. Although somewhat similar to point #1, the Aimpoint essentially has two places where you can lose your zero: The scope ring that holds the Aimpoint, and then the Pictinny rail to the scope mount. The Eotech has just one, namely the Pictinny rail. I thought of that of being a huge plus, and one less thing that can come loose.

4. The Eotech 552 uses AA batteries. The Aimpoint uses special batteries. For a weekend shooter, it's a huge plus that I can use rechargable NiMH batteries in my Eotech, since my AR spends most of the time in the safe. I would imagine that for an Army, stocking Energizer AAs is a lot cheaper than the Aimpoint's batteries, even if you're going to burn through more AAs in a month than Aimpoint batteries. Perhaps I'm wrong on the cost factor for the military, but I definitely save money by not having a special battery to buy.

Here's my gun:

I still think I made the right decision back then. I wish I had a Trijicon ACOG, but I'm going to have to wait awhile before I shell out $1k on something like that.

themao
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Here's one of the best no BS threads on the Aimpoint vs EOTech by a bunch guys who've BTDT.  Read it and learn.

www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=955&an=0&page=0#955

Interesting read.  From what I gather, it seems that the biggest draw for the Aimpoint is it's battery life and all the negatives about the EOTech in this post refer mostly to issues on models prior to revision F.

EOTech is my choice.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I really like the recticle on the EOtech, but after repeatedly hearing about failures with them, sold it and went with the Aimpoint. If the Rev. F's turn out to be as reliable as some are indicating, I may go back to one. Chuck P.'s comments over at the 10-8 forums are really making me think of going back, but both optics are so incredibly good, I don't know if one has any real strong points over the other.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#32]
EOTech...  I have a 551 and love it.
For LEO work I like the wider field of view.  It is a nice tool to have when engaging multiple targets.  I also like the larger ghost ring...  Place it on the target's center mass and there is no need to focus on the center dot.
Aimpoint is nice but in my opinion the EOTech is just better.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Eotech if you dont wear glasses -aimpoint if you do..,,

That outter ring will drive you crazy to adjust it. Bi focals dont cut it..

Link Posted: 3/6/2005 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#34]
I've  used many  red dot sights,also used reflex sight  that  has multiple reticles.

That being said,for real world shooting, Aimpoint wins  hand down.

Eotechs is more or less for safe queens/range shooters and young men who  doesnt know any  better.

Thats like comparing a AK  to a AR.

TG
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Well...here in Iraq and see both EOTechs and AImpoints are issued.  I got an Aimpoint on an A4.  I think the Army couldn't make up their mind either and bought both! I have both back at home too! I am leaning towards the EOTech.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Eotechs is more or less for safe queens/range shooters and young men who  doesnt know any  better.

I'm an infantryman in the Army.  I have used both the Eotech and the M68 in the field doing a variety of things.  I prefer the EOtech.  I prefer it to the point that if my issued weapon has an M68 on it when we deploy, my personally owned EOtech will be deploying with me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#37]
seems as if the opinions are VERY split down the middle.  I had forseen a strong leaning towards Aimpoint..but i suppose i was wrong.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
seems as if the opinions are VERY split down the middle.  I had forseen a strong leaning towards Aimpoint..but i suppose i was wrong.

make a poll
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Done, poll added.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Done, poll added.

I'm not really sure what that will prove.  The Aimpoint and EOTech are both great optics and the choice really depends on what works best for the person who will be using it...
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Not to PROVE anything...i was just looking for an idea of what the public opnion was regarding these two optics.

I have both, and have my OWN opinion...i was just interested as to other's opinions, and their reasoning behind them.

thanks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm an infantryman in the Army.  I have used both the Eotech and the M68 in the field doing a variety of things.  I prefer the EOtech.  I prefer it to the point that if my issued weapon has an M68 on it when we deploy, my personally owned EOtech will be deploying with me.

Play it safe  when your over there under fire,  for what it is worth, I  ETS  from the service  not too long ago, eight years of the infantry 11B10,9th div Washington,  with the 2/75th.

Now days, just trained with small recon group, with the Texas militia.

Im no  expert,but do have field experience & think  the aimpoint  is the best  of the two.

Eotech with a dot reticle, wouldnt be bad.

TG
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#43]
If I never see another "EO Tech or Aimpoint?" thread, I will die a happy man. Don't we have a tacked thread for this already?
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#45]
IMHO the EOtech is faster than anything else on the market but the Aimpoint has its advantages too
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#46]
That poll pretty much splits it down the middle, doesn't it.

I plan on getting the EOtech, because I like the reticule better.

I can't seem to pick up the single dot as quickly as the EOtech's.

That, and I like the idea of the smaller dot for the longer range stuff, that is backed up by the big circle for quick aquisition with my eyes.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a Bushnell that I like alot! 4 recticals!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:41:18 AM EDT
[#48]
I have an EOTech on my M1A Socom, and an Aimpoint on my Bushmaster.  I think they are both very effective, but I do find the Aimpoint quicker to get on target.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#49]
I started out with a CQT but quickly made the changed to Aimpoint.
Could not be happier.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#50]
My answer is not available on the list of choices.  I like them all: ACOG, EOTech and Aimpoint.

One thing I would like to see EOTech do if possible however, is to make the outside ring on the reticle less bright than the center dot.  With a more "ghosted" outside ring, the inside dot would be even more prominent, while one could still see the outside ring for reference.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top