BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I still can't envision a Government "confiscation" of weapons if the AWB were expanded to include all the "clones" as has been proposed. The logistics of confiscating would be a impossible. Even with a list of owner's names available. No one would be able to prove that listed owners didn't sell/trade/give them away. Are "they' going to arrest everyone that can't turn in their rifle? Impossible.

Few of us informed AR-15 "owners" would be stupid enough to say, "..of course officer, I'll be delighted to give you my new $1000 Bushmaster right now. I wouldn't want to break the law".

Every individual confiscation would require a court order (unless we've totally scrapped all constitutional rights by then, or Martial Law had been declared). Courts would be so clogged up that nothing would get done. Then the "appeals" would start, further slogging up the system.

...still say, will never happen. Worst case scenario would likely be, "no further transfers of assault weapons allowed after a specific future date". This would wipe out the manufacturing and sale of any new rifles.

But they would be able to manufacture replacement parts for existing rifles and not all companies would fold up. It would also create a market for parts for "kit" rifles, assembled by the owners themselves, without Government paperwork. Like "kit" cars are often made today to bypass D.O.T. safety regulations and exhaust emission requirements. Might not be as bad  as it sounds...
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Worst case scenario would likely be "no further transfers of assault weapons allowed after a specific future date". This would wipe out the manufacturing of any new rifles.
View Quote

Which would suck in and of itself.  

Look at Kali.  The transfer of such weapons is illegal, even if one dies the weapons can't be willed to anyone in the state.  If this goes on a nationwide scale, there would be no ARs or other look-a-like military style weapons in the country within another generation or two.  

They could slowly do this with every type of firearm until, eventually, none are left.  No, there probably won't be nationwide confiscation, but the solution you described is very viable and very possible.  It may take longer for the process to eliminate armed citizens altogether, but the political beast is a patient fellow.

This is exactly what we have to look out for and what we have to fight against.  There can be no more compromises, because with each one, we move slowly but steadily into the world we fear most.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:08:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Turboman, no, one of the things they want to "control" is kits.  Also parts for such rifles.  You can bet they will have all that covered.  Let me ask you, can you just call up Bushmaster or whomever and say, "just send me an M16 parts kit"?  Nope, IF it ever got that far, you can bet the parts you have now are all the ones you will ever get.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't want to flog a dead horse. This subject has been beaten to death. But it's important. In regard to "kit" guns: If there was a transfer ban I'd bet that a AR-15 (or AK-47) black market would spring up where industrial machinists would "moon-light" making replacement parts on a machine lathe in their basements for private sale. A guy could easily specialize in copying just one part. Or maybe a couple of parts...

An illegal "kit" gun could be assembled from parts scrounged from many sources all over the country.

In Pakistan, etc., if they can make workable copy AK-47's on a camel shit burning brick-forge without electricity (they do), I know that American ingenuity and technology could do a hell of a lot better. It would be a argument that the Government could never win!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top