Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Does FN have any plans on releasing a civilian SCAR to the public anytime soon?

So they say and after the PS90 I am inclined to think it is true. FN is known to make very durable and reliable weapons. If anyone is qualified to make America's next service weapon it would be them.

They are the largest provider of small arms to the world, so clearly they do something right
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The ARM gas system is closer to an AR180 then to a FNC.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The ARM gas system is closer to an AR180 then to a FNC.

Yep I stand corrected on that. Checked it out after opening my mouth.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does this means the end to AR15 type rifles? are AR / M16 M4 worthless ? what will happen to al AR owners?

Crystal ball says:

The new web site FNARM.com will render ar15.com obsolete.  Ar15.com will just consist of old farts lamenting the "foreign rifle".  

Colt will go belly up after loosing their US Govt welfare checks.  Bushmaster will buy the name, and stamp the Horsey on their lowers, but no one will buy them because the AR-15 is no longer the in thing.  As they say, "and then there was one", that is RRA will be the last AR manufacturer, they will go toe to toe for years against the Mini-14 in competition for feature articles in peridicals, and sales to rural law enforcement agencies.  CMMG will design the replacement for the M240 and will eventually become the the most famous firearms company in history, making the  names Browning, Maxim, Mauser, Kalashnikov, and Stoner the butt of jokes.

Twenty years later, after the patent runs out on the FN ARM manufactures will copy the rifle the best they can.  These copies will be sold as "in use by US Navy SEALs, "in use by Special Forces, "Mil-Spec", and "as good as FN".

Yeah, kind of like how the Garand, M1A / M14, and Carbines have no followings or popularity.  There just has beens that aren't worth a damn. Especially for us civilians. Yeah.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#5]
yet Pacino's gun looks and still seems so much better than the SCAR

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does this means the end to AR15 type rifles? are AR / M16 M4 worthless ? what will happen to al AR owners?

Crystal ball says:

The new web site FNARM.com will render ar15.com obsolete.  Ar15.com will just consist of old farts lamenting the "foreign rifle".  

Colt will go belly up after loosing their US Govt welfare checks.  Bushmaster will buy the name, and stamp the Horsey on their lowers, but no one will buy them because the AR-15 is no longer the in thing.  As they say, "and then there was one", that is RRA will be the last AR manufacturer, they will go toe to toe for years against the Mini-14 in competition for feature articles in peridicals, and sales to rural law enforcement agencies.  CMMG will design the replacement for the M240 and will eventually become the the most famous firearms company in history, making the  names Browning, Maxim, Mauser, Kalashnikov, and Stoner the butt of jokes.

Twenty years later, after the patent runs out on the FN ARM manufactures will copy the rifle the best they can.  These copies will be sold as "in use by US Navy SEALs, "in use by Special Forces, "Mil-Spec", and "as good as FN".

Yeah, kind of like how the Garand, M1A / M14, and Carbines have no followings or popularity.  There just has beens that aren't worth a damn. Especially for us civilians. Yeah.

Hmm, should I turn exchange my Crystal ball for another?  Think there might be something wrong with it?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crystal ball says:

Hmm, should I turn exchange my Crystal ball for another?  Think there might be something wrong with it?

Sure, I'll have a go.

Noboby in there right mind is going to have Browning, Kalishnikov and all the other mentioned be the "butt" of their jokes.  If they do, they'd be, well, ignorant.  Even if they do become outdated.  Which, I don't personally seeing it happen.  I've got nothing against progress and for sure someday they'll be replaced.  But the older model isn't  going to become a farse just because the new kid on the block is supposedly nicer in some way.  I think you crystal ball is skewed.  But of course, it's only opinion right now, for both of us.  Time will tell.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crystal ball says:

Sure, I'll have a go.

Noboby in there right mind is going to have Browning, Kalishnikov and all the other mentioned be the "butt" of their jokes.  If they do, they'd be, well, ignorant.  Even if they do become outdated.  Which, I don't personally seeing it happen.  I've got nothing against progress and for sure someday they'll be replaced.  But the older model isn't  going to become a farse just because the new kid on the block is supposedly nicer in some way.  I think you crystal ball is skewed.  But of course, it's only opinion right now, for both of us.  Time will tell.

Well, I got the crystal ball from gypsies, so don't think I can exchange it.  Heard that Wal-Mart will exchange about anything, will give that a try tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I gotta try this damn rifle... I've shot the Sig and I fail to see this FN offering some kind of amazing advantage over it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I gotta try this damn rifle... I've shot the Sig and I fail to see this FN offering some kind of amazing advantage over it.

Hmm...

If you had two armies with 10,000 soldiers each, equally trained, only one side has SCAR and the other a SG55x, AR15, FNC, or whatever, the side armed with SCAR has some very tangiable advantages. For the civilian that takes the odd carbine class, kills paper at 100 yards or caps an intruder at 25 feet, the SCAR features arent as important which is why the AR15 will always have a place. For the civilian shooter buying a gun it is more preference than anything else and lots of americans prefer the AR15 so there will always be a place for it.

BUT...if SCAR's start showing up on the 10 o'clock news every night with war footage, lots of minds will shift to the newest and coolest. People want what soldiers are carrying. Hell, if the military suddenly adopted a Ruger Mini 14 you'd suddenly see a huge spike in that guns following and popularity and after market support. That's just the way it is. Make no mistake, Official adoption of a new gun will kill off a huge part of this sites popularity and possibly some the Bushmasters and Colts of the world.

How many companies are making Garands and M1A's anymore. The AR15 industry will experiance the same thing at some point
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#11]
yup i guess i gotta try this thing

I'm hoping that as soon as sig hits the market AR and Mini prices start falling.... that way I can get my Sig and the mini-14 and A2 setup guns I've been wanting for years
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I read that mag in the book store and left it there. The whole thing is junk. Written for the couch-commandoes and those who have more guns than they number of rounds they have sent downrange since Carter was in office.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:34:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
yup i guess i gotta try this thing

I'm hoping that as soon as sig hits the market AR and Mini prices start falling.... that way I can get my Sig and the mini-14 and A2 setup guns I've been wanting for years

Since, like me, you're interested in the SIG SG55X, I thought I might share this info that popped up recently about the SIG prototype currently being tested for civilian sales:

"16 1/2 inch barrel, M4 style six position collapsible, SAW style pistol grip, will take M16 mags, raised Piccatinny rail on reciever and forend. and flip up sights..internally its a traditional 550..black colour"

Pricing is still "estimated" and they are saying $1400-1600

Interesting. Looks like SIG is aiming for the 416

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
"16 1/2 inch barrel, M4 style six position collapsible, SAW style pistol grip, will take M16 mags, raised Piccatinny rail on reciever and forend. and flip up sights..internally its a traditional 550..black colour"

Rather have the side folder but I can worry about that later.... The M-16mags is flat out awsome because I may hapepn to have one or two laying around

and i can worry about cutting down the barrel later

I was thinking I'd be willing to pay up to about 2K for the thing so I'm like golden now
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rather have the side folder but I can worry about that later.... The M-16mags is flat out awsome because I may hapepn to have one or two laying around

and i can worry about cutting down the barrel later

I was thinking I'd be willing to pay up to about 2K for the thing so I'm like golden now

I dont like the way the M4 stock looks on a SIG  

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:18:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Sweet pic! I will take one of those please.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:59:32 AM EDT
[#17]
For all of you jonesing for a SCAR or a Sig, let me help you out by buying your old, obsolete AR's.

I'll give you a fair price for it. .50 cents on the dollar.

I'm just wanting to help out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I read that mag in the book store and left it there. The whole thing is junk. Written for the couch-commandoes and those who have more guns than they number of rounds they have sent downrange since Carter was in office.

The mag is OK for perusing and looking a the pics while your wife picks up food for the week, but you are right, if you read any of the text (even the captions) you are done.

Fortunately SGN and GunList is parked right next to it on the rack at the local Krogers.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Just got back from Wal-Mart with a new crystal ball.

I asked about the future of the AR-15, their manufacturers, and enthusiasts considering the SCAR program, and this is what I saw:

The FN ARM will be a smashing success in SOCOM service, so much so that Big Army will adopt it as the Standard A Rifle and Carbine as the M8 Rifle and the M5 Carbine, and the M110 sniper rifle.

The fnfiles.com/fnarm will immediately become the largest firearms website on the net.  In the early years it will run slow, be down for days on end, but Jen will eventually get it running.  Once up and running about half the posts will be from prepubescents asking for gaming advice in regards to the tactical employment of the M5.  The other half will be from a hard core group of airsofters asking which Chinese knock of optic is the best.

Ar15.com's sponsors will leave, as they move on to the next in thing.  The site will shut down, most members will migrate to fnfiles.com/fnarm.  The few AR-15 loyalists will join warrifles.com and engage in huge flame wars with the old timers there regarding the merits of 5.56 vs 7.62.

Colt's will sue everyone for money because they have no more Government contracts.  They will loose all their suites and go bankrupt to protect themselves from having to pay the lawyers.  Colt's will ramp up 1873 and 1911 production in a last ditch effort to save themselves.  The effort will fail, because of the hard feeling these two marketing groups have after some 50 years of bad marketing decisions.  Colt's will quietly close shop and go out of business.

Venders such as CMT will be subcontracted by FN to make buttstock/pistol grip screws, and flash suppressors for the M8 series.  Because of the switch in demand there will no longer be any parts suppliers.  USGI surplus parts will soon dry up, putting all the AR manufacturers out of business.  In response Springfield Inc will have AR parts cast in Brazil and will bring back AR production in limited runs.

Bushmaster will soldier on by bringing back the Bushmaster rifle, and the M17.  They will also bring back the BAR-10 by switching to the new FN 7.62 mag.  Considering it cost twice as much as the FN rifle, it will fail.

War with North Korea will bring about a demand for 50,000 rifles a month.  The US Army will give the TDP to the M5, and the M8 to Ohio Rapid Fire in order to seek a second source solicitation.  ORF will bid twice as high as FN but will be awarded a contract for 1,789,432 M5 Carbines.  ORF will have to hire Toad to get production on line.  ARES's production manager will also be hired to insure time tables are met.

Unable to sell the G36 HK will offer a retarded blowback upper conversion unit for the M5 Carbine called the HKM5.  SAR will do a full feature article with big color pictures featuring old men running around in the desert.  SAR will praise the HKM5 calling it the "energizer bunny" with claims it will go 500,001.5 rounds between cleanings.

The patent to the FN ARM runs out in 2025.  At that time Sendra offers knock off ARM lower receivers for use with the few USGI parts kits available.  Eventually a new manufacturer named Brand X will set up to make copies of the FN ARM.  Peter Kokalis will be brought out of retirement to do a T/E on the  Brand X rifle, the XM5E2S.  Some quotes from the T/E article:

"Brand X.......recently completed a contract with the US military for the M5 Carbine."

"matte black oxide finish on the steel components and black hard-coat anodizing on the aluminum parts"

"Brand X also stocks a comprehensive inventory of XM5E2S spare parts and acces-sories like bipods, bayonets and flash hiders for pre-ban FALs."

"This is astounding accuracy for a M5"

"And, in case you’re asking, why do I continue to use Black Hills ammunition for most tests and evaluations?"

"ejection was strong, and to the right"

"Brand X's XM5E2S is, without doubt, the finest and most accurate M5-type rifle ever produced"

"T&E Summary: The finest and most accurate M5 ever manufactured; based upon the FN ARM.  Meets and excedes all Mil-Specs. Superb example of one of the world’s greatest 5.56 rifles."

Flame wars will immediately pop up on fnfiles.com/fnarm.  FN supporters will be referred to as "Kool-Aid" drinkers.  Others will point out that Peter Kokalis died 10 years prior to the article, others will point out that in all the pictures the rifles are wet and in a creek bed with red illumination and that actually Fortier wrote it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Very nice.  God, i love Walmart....
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#21]
The FN is FUGLY and Bulky!!! The SIG is nice but then it uses standard AK mag release, PIA, and where are the mags for that thing.

I wish the idiots at the top would just upgrade the M16 gas piston systems and eliminate the buttstock tube for the return assembly in trade for an internal receiver bolt carrier return spring. These two mods would pretty much fix all the problems. Lastly have a side mounted charging handle fixed to the bolt carrier, easy to use, and no need for the ackward foward assist.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I asked about the future of the AR-15, their manufacturers, and enthusiasts considering the SCAR program, and this is what I saw:

The FN ARM will be a smashing success in SOCOM service, so much so that Big Army will adopt it as the Standard A Rifle and Carbine as the M8 Rifle and the M5 Carbine, and the M110 sniper rifle.

The fnfiles.com/fnarm will immediately become the largest firearms website on the net.  In the early years it will run slow, be down for days on end, but Jen will eventually get it running.  Once up and running about half the posts will be from prepubescents asking for gaming advice in regards to the tactical employment of the M5.  The other half will be from a hard core group of airsofters asking which Chinese knock of optic is the best.

Ar15.com's sponsors will leave, as they move on to the next in thing.  The site will shut down, most members will migrate to fnfiles.com/fnarm.  The few AR-15 loyalists will join warrifles.com and engage in huge flame wars with the old timers there regarding the merits of 5.56 vs 7.62.

Colt's will sue everyone for money because they have no more Government contracts.  They will loose all their suites and go bankrupt to protect themselves from having to pay the lawyers.  Colt's will ramp up 1873 and 1911 production in a last ditch effort to save themselves.  The effort will fail, because of the hard feeling these two marketing groups have after some 50 years of bad marketing decisions.  Colt's will quietly close shop and go out of business.

Venders such as CMT will be subcontracted by FN to make buttstock/pistol grip screws, and flash suppressors for the M8 series.  Because of the switch in demand there will no longer be any parts suppliers.  USGI surplus parts will soon dry up, putting all the AR manufacturers out of business.  In response Springfield Inc will have AR parts cast in Brazil and will bring back AR production in limited runs.

Bushmaster will soldier on by bringing back the Bushmaster rifle, and the M17.  They will also bring back the BAR-10 by switching to the new FN 7.62 mag.  Considering it cost twice as much as the FN rifle, it will fail.

War with North Korea will bring about a demand for 50,000 rifles a month.  The US Army will give the TDP to the M5, and the M8 to Ohio Rapid Fire in order to seek a second source solicitation.  ORF will bid twice as high as FN but will be awarded a contract for 1,789,432 M5 Carbines.  ORF will have to hire Toad to get production on line.  ARES's production manager will also be hired to insure time tables are met.

Unable to sell the G36 HK will offer a retarded blowback upper conversion unit for the M5 Carbine called the HKM5.  SAR will do a full feature article with big color pictures featuring old men running around in the desert.  SAR will praise the HKM5 calling it the "energizer bunny" with claims it will go 500,001.5 rounds between cleanings.

The patent to the FN ARM runs out in 2025.  At that time Sendra offers knock off ARM lower receivers for use with the few USGI parts kits available.  Eventually a new manufacturer named Brand X will set up to make copies of the FN ARM.  Peter Kokalis will be brought out of retirement to do a T/E on the  Brand X rifle, the XM5E2S.  Some quotes from the T/E article:

"Brand X.......recently completed a contract with the US military for the M5 Carbine."

"matte black oxide finish on the steel components and black hard-coat anodizing on the aluminum parts"

"Brand X also stocks a comprehensive inventory of XM5E2S spare parts and acces-sories like bipods, bayonets and flash hiders for pre-ban FALs."

"And, in case you’re asking, why do I continue to use Black Hills ammunition for most tests and evaluations?"

"Brand X's XM5E2S is, without doubt, the finest and most accurate M5-type rifle ever produced"

"T&E Summary: The finest and most accurate M5 ever manufactured; based upon the FN ARM.  Meets and excedes all Mil-Specs. Superb example of one of the world’s greatest 5.56 rifles."

Flame wars will immediately pop up on fnfiles.com/fnarm.  FN supporters will be referred to as "Kool-Aid" drinkers.  Others will point out that Peter Kokalis died 10 years prior to the article, others will point out that in all the pictures the rifles are wet and in a creek bed with red illumination and that actually Fortier wrote it.

Fracking funny as hell...you owe me a keyboard..I spit Coke outa nose...

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#23]
In the future their will be Robots.

In the year 2000, in the year 2000!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I hope that Sig does in fact release the 55X onto the civi market...but I doubt it.  Hopefully they will see the market for a gas piston 5.56 that is reliable and durable...  FN seems far more in tune with the civi market than Sig.  Just look at the Euro line of sigs on their other website...  They make a LOT of guns that are not for sale in the US.  

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my M-4 but I will agree that it could be better...not to mention that it could use some competition to keep it healthy;)
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Nostradamus Ekiedamus has spoken!

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I wish the idiots at the top would just upgrade the M16 gas piston systems and eliminate the buttstock tube for the return assembly in trade for an internal receiver bolt carrier return spring. These two mods would pretty much fix all the problems. Lastly have a side mounted charging handle fixed to the bolt carrier, easy to use, and no need for the ackward foward assist.  

Yes, then the only standardized parts left would be the fire control group. Sounds like a real good idea. I mean the AR15 sucks so bad, so let's just upgrade it to the point that it's a whole new weapon system, but make sure it still looks like an AR15.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I love my AR's but I am ready to start using one of these as well when the time comes.

I hear they're going to be issued with Aimpoint and ACOG clones
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#28]
crystal ball sayz (after I shake it up and the snow settles)...

hilary klintax gets elected. massive democratic/socialist turnout puts ultra-liberal-gun-grabbing majority in congress. gun laws are enacted to confiscate all weapons capable of automatic fire, all pistols, amunition over 9mm/38 in diameter having a fps of over 1400.

whats left are single shot, lever and bolt action long guns and shotguns suitable for hunting. all rounds will have individual lazer engraved serial numbers, even on bird shot. cost will be extreme. gun owners will be   required to store their weapons in federally approved and supervised civilian armories.

no move civilian sales of military type weapons will be tolerated. all firearms armament manufacturers will move offshore.

airsoft type guns will become illegal because they look like the real thing.

all websites like ar15.com will go the way of the dodo bird.

so all the worrying about the scar and the m4 and ars etc are a waste of time..
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm still bettin' on a much more restrictive weapons ban here soon. I figure tv will work at getting america used to the idea of a woman president through stupid shit like that gina davis show and hitlery will win it... then it all goes to shit and THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top