User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally I disagree with all of the people who told me I should be happy with .223 Hornady ammo and that it was 'good enough' and I did not need the 5.56mm NATO load.  I think that .223 ammo has a lower margin of reliability, especially in short barrels. My new LMT 10.5 inch runs with Q3131 NATO pressure ammo but will not cycle .223 TAP 75. I bet it will cycle 5.56mm TAP.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Personally I disagree with all of the people who told me I should be happy with .223 Hornady ammo and that it was 'good enough' and I did not need the 5.56mm NATO load.  I think that .223 ammo has a lower margin of reliability, especially in short barrels. My new LMT 10.5 inch runs with Q3131 NATO pressure ammo but will not cycle .223 TAP 75. I bet it will cycle 5.56mm TAP.

Have you tried any Black Hills in your SBR yet ?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Any LEO's willing to buck up for us mere civi's and purchase for us?  I'll sign a waiver that states my LMT is in fact 5.56 NATO chambered and I won't use it in a SAAMI spec rifle!

I really need some 5.56 75 grainers as my ex absconed with 1000 rds of #80265 when she left!
So I would like to replace that with the NATO load if possible!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#4]
If anybody wants to sell 5.56mm pressure 75gr TAP (or the BH 77gr NATO Nosler) I'm game too!

Background check 100% clean and I'll sign waivers.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I think I'll just continue on my personal quest to create my own load.  I'm there really.  Just trying to refine it now.  I was getting 2650fps from my 16" AR.  That was about the limit though.  My next 2 loads up jumped to over 2700fps and made scary signs in the brass.  

Has anyone frag tested the 75gr bullet without a crimp grove?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think I'll just continue on my personal quest to create my own load.  I'm there really.  Just trying to refine it now.  I was getting 2650fps from my 16" AR.  That was about the limit though.  My next 2 loads up jumped to over 2700fps and made scary signs in the brass.  

Has anyone frag tested the 75gr bullet without a crimp grove?

Ive been planning on doing the same thing.

handloading is fun anyway.

When I get a chance Im going to contact Hornady to find out if the 75gr BTHP bullets can be had with the cannelure.

let me know what kind of results you get.

what kind of brass are you using? 5.56? .223?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#7]
If anybody wants to sell the 5.56 #8126N to me I'd also be happy to sign a waiver stating I have a 5.56 rated firearm. Lots of excellent ebay feedback. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#8]
This is just my personal opinion and I hope I don't offend anyone.  I am in LE and I don't know what the big deal is about selling 5.56 TAP to civilians.  But for me I prefer to shoot something that is more accurate than fragment at a longer range.  Most of my encounters will be from 0-100 yards.  And for home defense the .223 will also do the job.  In my opinion, in LE it is better to have a round that is more accurate than anything else.  It is a liability issued.  If you miss, you are fucked if it hits an innocent person.  When I was in the Military, it was different, the extra velocity always helps with the fragmentation at a longer distance.  

I purchsed 200 rounds of the Hornady 5.56 TAP and it shot well.  I just ordered 500 rounds of the HSM .223 75 Grain TAP Version.  If it shoots more accurate than the Hornady, I will switch.  They are cheaper than the Hornady.

I know to some of you guys it is just a matter of principal.  Everyone should be entitled to the ammunition of their choice and I agree.  But don't loose any sleep or get all upset over it.  For most other purposes, since the .223 is generally more accurate than the 5.56, the .223 is just as good for most of our intended purposes.  Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just ordered 500 rounds of the HSM .223 75 Grain TAP Version.  

just curious, but are you getting it from the Hunting Shack?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just ordered 500 rounds of the HSM .223 75 Grain TAP Version.  

just curious, but are you getting it from the Hunting Shack?

Yes.  From HSM (Hunting Shack).  Have you heard anything about their ammunition?  I haven't shot mine yet.  Just waiting for my upper to come back from JP Rifles.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yes.  From HSM (Hunting Shack).  Have you heard anything about their ammunition?  I haven't shot mine yet.  Just waiting for my upper to come back from JP Rifles.

I was just curious because I was sitting here looking at their price list.  I'll be surprised if it shoots any better than Hornady match ammo.  Although, you're right, it's quite a bit less expensive.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I was all set to order a box or two, but my retired Military ID won't cut it.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#13]
will they sell to active duty military?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm not sure, but I don't see why not.  They sell to everyone, whether LE or Civilian, so I'm sure they sell to Military.

They also make the 69, 77 and 80 GR SMK, but I haven't tried them also.  And they are also cheaper than Black Hills.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They also make the 69, 77 and 80 GR SMK, but I haven't tried them also.  And they are also cheaper than Black Hills.

Do they make these in TAP or just normal rounds?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm not sure, but I don't see why not.  They sell to everyone, whether LE or Civilian, so I'm sure they sell to Military.

They WON'T sell to a civilian.
I tried.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tried.

The Hunting Shack?  Their price list is right on their site, anyone can order from them?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do they make these in TAP or just normal rounds?

here's their .223 price list with non-LEO prices

www.thehuntingshack.com/catalog/retail/hsmrifle/223rem.htm
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:34:24 AM EDT
[#19]
If you are LEO the prices are cheaper by about $3 per box.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#20]
ttt
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tried.

The Hunting Shack?  Their price list is right on their site, anyone can order from them?

Hornaday.
That's what this thread is about.
Buying TAP 5.56 ammo from Hornady.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hornaday.
That's what this thread is about.
Buying TAP 5.56 ammo from Hornady.

I know what the thread is about, I started it.  However, the four posts preceding your comment were about HSM ammo, so you can see how someone might have thought you were referring to that?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Why the hell doesn't someone just manufacture and market a 75gr 5.56 round to the civilian market?

TS  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Why the hell doesn't someone just manufacture and market a 75gr 5.56 round to the civilian market?

I thought someone in one of these threads was going to talk to Black Hills about a group buy
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#25]
They did somewhere.  But Hornady, Blackhills, or any credible manufacturer could produce a 5.56 round in 75gr and it would sell very well.  Can you see Blackhills or Hornady 5.56mm sitting on a shelf long at all?  I can't.

TS
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll be honest with you, I don't know that outside of this forum anyone really cares about 5.56 75gr ammo.  But who knows, maybe it would sell like crazy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#27]
The nearby Gander Mountain (yeah, I know) had some .223 75gr TAP so I bought a box.  I got home, looked at it, fondled it and said to myself, "Damn, why didn't I buy more?"  I went back the next day and they were sold out.  They sell out of all .223 ammo in one to two weeks, as does Academy and WalMark's.  

TS
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:21:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Great thread with lots of very useful information. I do have a question on the Hornady ammo. Hornady lists a 75grn BTHP match .223 load. Its product code is HO 8026 while the TAP-FPD load has a product code of HO80268. Does anyone here know if these are loaded the same with the exception of the case? One is brass while the other is black nickle. The Match round can be found a couple of dollars cheaper, so hence my question. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:30:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought someone in one of these threads was going to talk to Black Hills about a group buy

There was a group buy a while back...  Only bad thing was that the price was really high per 1k, they wanted the money up front, and the wait time was extremely long.  Lots of folks talked the talk, but when it came to put the money up they weren't so excited...  I'd love to get either 5.56 TAP or the Mk262 stuff from BH.

Spooky
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a group buy a while back...  Only bad thing was that the price was really high per 1k, they wanted the money up front, and the wait time was extremely long.  Lots of folks talked the talk, but when it came to put the money up they weren't so excited...  I'd love to get either 5.56 TAP or the Mk262 stuff from BH.

Spooky

Yeah the group buy is taking so long its been years since $900 was deducted from my account and I still dont have any money or ammo yet.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#31]
To answer the question about 75 Hornady Tap FDP from Cabelas, I ordered a couple of boxes months ago. It was back ordered but I waited. Finally in the last week, they notified me that they don't have it and my back order will be cancelled if they don't hear from me in the next ten days.  I'll let the order lapse.  My guess will be that it will be back in stock as soon as my order lapses.

The only reason I was ordering, was because I pulled the wrong two mags of the stuff I had originally purchased directly from Hornady (Kathy) and shot it all by mistake?!  I was wondering why I was better with accuracy that day...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top