BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the excellent hunting tips!  And thanks for proving that an Ar is a good hunting rifle after all.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#2]
This is a very interesting thread.  In the near future, I would like to do a wild Boar hunt with a few different firearms I.E. handguns, shotguns, AK, and an AR.  The whole Boar hunt seems exciting and challenging as well.  Being a novice hunter with only two kills,  I still would prefer to hunt large game with a nice .30-06 bolt gun.  What makes the AR such a superb firearm would also make it an excellent medium and small game hunting rifle.  Just my $0.02.
Pete
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You made a lot of assumptions about the lack of other hunters and the presence of other game....and that's dangerous.  

This is a private hunting ranch, the owner stated I am the ONLY HUNTER, it's not an assumption, it's fact!   And if remote possibility of there were trespassers, pouchers, I could see them from an elavated platform at a distance of 60yards! I am not trying to convince you one way or other, I could careless what you think of my hunting technics or lack of hunting skills.

Just don't spew your comments lacking facts to saying I made assumptions, I don't ASSUME anything during any hunt!
Never had any kind of hunting accidents, never accidentally shot a game on any private hunting / or non-private hunting ranch.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:36:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What is your "preferred" bullet for hogs?
What is the average distance for your shots?
When you put the bullet where you want it, do they still tend travel any distance before they give up the ghost?
Although they did not completely do the job I was still impressed with the exspansion the soft points exhibited. What was the retained weight upon recovery?
Congrats again on your pigs!
Dave

1. Q3131A

2. If you search back on this forum, all my hog hunts were under 100yrds, averaging 40-70yards, I won't  take any shot over 100 yards w/ my carbine due to non zoom red-dot setup, skill and ammo limitation.

3. 95% of all 1 round head/neck or heart/lung zone shot dropped where they stood, or less than 3 yards steps. This is the boar on a sprint w/ poor placement gut shot was my 1st boar that I had to track.

4. Recovered SP bullets were not weighed, but they looked like they retained most of their weights.

It's a rare man these days who knows the limitations of himself and his equipment, isn't shy to admit it and works within them.
Good post on a great hunt.  Thanks for shareing  

Thank you sir & all for the positive comments, I love to share hunting info., cause I also love to read & learn from others' hunting experiences too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Maybe I am a stupid Masshole, but I don't understand hunting with an AR-15.

Compund bow, Muzzleloader, Bolt Action Rifle, all these I can understand. But an AR-15

If you cannot kill it with the first shot, then you should not have taken it in my opinion. Why did you not just bring a Beta-C drum

I have afriend that shot this lil DOE with a 30-06 4 times and the damn thing did not want to DIE. He is a good shot and he has killed a few deer before. So the lil round will drop the hogs. I have seen a few killed in there tracks with the round 223. U can go shoot a deer or hog with a 300 win mag and the thing will still run off unless it is a good shot placement. Imgine yourself shot in the ass buy some one and he is out to kill you for sure , WHAT do you do next? Well most living beings try to hide from DEATH.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Regardless of what you use...shot placement is more important than caliber, or bullet construction, or velocity.  If you gut shoot an animal with a 5.56 the results will be the same if you had used a .338 Win Mag or a .416 Rigby.  Shot placement trumps every other factor...

That's something that's lost on most IMHO.  It's also partial justification for the 1000 rnds of 9mm and 5.56 in the locker.  I'd rather be well practiced and proficient than carry a .480 Ruger I can't afford to get to know.  A bad shot with a .45 is trumped by a well placed single in .40 or a pair from a 9mm
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top