BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
does it have a date on the corner of the back cover?
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes
This is the only numbers on the back
A 5-71
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The date it was published has no correlation to when the pics were taken however. Again, I think you should do what you feel you should do, and I respect that - believe me, I understand. Paid $100 for my transitional bolt catch and it was money well spent IMO. At the same time, have some pins Jerrell made in the same build and that means something to me as well - so, you gotta do what you gotta do.

BTW - cool that you found the right manual for it. That's the kind of thing that makes a build like you are doing all that much more special.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes
This is the only numbers on the back
A 5-71

cool.  the early ones didn't have a date and the really early ones were labeled COLT COMANCHE instead of SPORTER.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#9]

I think that's the nicest looking schematic of a rifle I've seen yet. I'd pay for a print of that.

Link Posted: 10/23/2012 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think that's the nicest looking schematic of a rifle I've seen yet. I'd pay for a print of that.

I will try to scan it and e-mail it to you.

Link Posted: 10/23/2012 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#14]
It's not the right year modal for me. But I hope it will help somebody out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#15]

The build hasn’t stopped but with working long hours has slowed it down.
For now I’m trying to find the coins & the years of services.

Anyone know the name of a good company to get the branch coins from ?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 4:57:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Challenge coins? I would check ebay. I see them on there quite often.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I need to pick one.
I think I'm going to take the chance and put the full auto disconnect and trigger.
From what I have seen, If it's OEM then it should be ok. that is what came in it so I don’t see where ATF can have problems with it. .
Looking for input, pick one
I need to pick one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked up a unmarked upper to on GB.
It has the square C and the VP on it but no CH or CM.
Will post photos when it comes in.
I can’t wait !!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#19]
You are asking for it putting in the FA trigger and disconnect IMO. You are saying you bought it new and it came that way? I'm just not buying that. Especially since you are passing this down, you need to put AR15 FCG parts in it. The ONLY parts I would be okay in using are a neutered selector, neutered disconnect and FA bolt carrier. I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but I personally think you are making a big mistake using FA parts. I simply do not understand your reasoning, and why you don't believe us when we tell you it's a mistake. Don't do it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You are asking for it putting in the FA trigger and disconnect IMO. You are saying you bought it new and it came that way? I'm just not buying that. Especially since you are passing this down, you need to put AR15 FCG parts in it. The ONLY parts I would be okay in using are a neutered selector, neutered disconnect and FA bolt carrier. I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but I personally think you are making a big mistake using FA parts. I simply do not understand your reasoning, and why you don't believe us when we tell you it's a mistake. Don't do it.

I think the OP's reasoning is...well...reasonable.  That vintage SP1 would have come from the factory with a FA trigger and disconnector, so it's a very logical argument that it's justifiable to run it today with those same parts.

On the other hand, district attorneys and grand juries are not always logical.  In the eyes of some, you wouldn't be running the original parts, but would have actually selected "automatic" parts to put in the rifle, knowingly accepting the risk of multi-round firing.

On the third hand, I'd think any semi-competent attorney could use the "original design" argument to defuse that charge.  Not to mention that the only reasonable likelihood that this would ever be an actual issue would be if you were involved in a shooting, or an LEO watched you shooting and your rifle doubled, or there were some other fairly unusual set of circumstances.

On the Vishnuvian fourth hand, even a small chance is still a chance.

Bottom line, OP...weigh the risk for yourself!
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#21]
What happens 40 years from now when his great-grandson owns it? He's not just taking a chance with his own freedom IMO, but those of the kids who will inherit it. As I said, I'm no lawyer, but personally I believe better safe than sorry - particularly with the direction this country is going in. I do understand the desire to keep the original parts in it however. Really, I do. Perhaps there's a way he can document it? A letter from Colt perhaps stating that rifles with his series serial number may have been built with parts like that? Somehow I doubt Colt would be willing to write a letter like that... Anyway, good luck OP, and don't forget to post pics when you are done. I think it's great that you are doing this - sorry if I raised a topic you didn't want to get into, but it's a legitimate concern.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Hey guys
Had a crazy weekend and week.
Didn’t get time to post but I have been reading them. All you guys are great and that’s why I’m here. I like all the feedback and different opinions.

After reading the posts I called ATF.
The agent told me, that since the FA parts were used by the factory in that time period because that it will NOT make it full auto. It wouldn't be anything that they would have a problem with.
Now days they are more focused on popular weapons that gangs and drug dealers perfer.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Here’s an upper I got in the mail.
What do you think the year is ?

Link Posted: 11/7/2012 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I take it with no contract marking on it that it was made at Colt ?

Link Posted: 11/7/2012 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#25]
There are proof marks

Link Posted: 11/7/2012 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I take it with no contract marking on it that it was made at Colt ?

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s557/Trailrider843/20121107_204224_zps0bdee5d9.jpg

That is the upper receiver you want.  Where did you get it?  I like the story behind your rifle, I'd like to hear the story behind all the parts you find for it too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Sorry it's been so long since my last post.
I have been dealing with a land foreclosures.
Most of the parts of gotten off of gunbroker.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#28]
My upper and lower don't seem to match. Does anyone know why the color difference.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top