User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll just say...for a 16" barrel, get mid length gas.  Everyone has their preferences, that's mine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, every time I'm at the range. Any difference in perceived recoil is so negligible that I'm not sure if it's even real.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no functional difference between carbine & middy. Internet people claim that middys have a reduced recoil impulse, but in my personal experience, I think it's mostly just hype.

The pros of a middy are that if you use a fsb, you have a little bit longer sight radius. They are also less prone to being over gassed.

I own, shoot and enjoy multiple carbines and middys.

Midlength gas systems most definitely are softer shooters than carbine systems. Have you ever shot the two back to back? It's noticeable.

Yes, every time I'm at the range. Any difference in perceived recoil is so negligible that I'm not sure if it's even real.

+1

Several of both and I do not see a noticeable difference in felt recoil or reliability.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Have to agree with this...I just finished building a 7.62x39 AR, carbine length too, and after some fiddling with an adjustable gas block, it shoots smooth and with virtually the same recoil as a 5.56...and I HATE carbine length barrels, fighting the temptation to sell this one and get the middy I found, but can't justify it.

Why is that?, because the gas tube length is not the only factor involved, though the longer gas systems will be smoother with all other factors being the same, though they seldom are...gas port sizes vary, as do barrel weights, and buffer weights.

That being said, I prefer a mid-length every day, and twice on Sunday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it more or less official that a carbine gas, 16", m4 profile barrel is the least efficient barrel design available to the general public?

From how it reads on the internet, I am surprised any company still sells carbine length gas 16" barrels, m4 profile none the less?

I personally kinda like the look of a carbine gas 16". but it doesn't seem to be thought of too highly these days with the proliferation of middies

Anyone care to explain why they might choose such a barrel if given the option of a middy?

16" m4 VS. 16" mid from say...Bravo. Someone has to be buying m4 barrels, because even companies that sell middies still make them; so if there is anyone in the crowd supporting the m4 barrel design still chime in!  

I have the option to save 45 dollars on a 16" m4 upper compared to a 16" middy; both identical in every other way, materials, twist, so on so forth. Middy justify $45 more?

Is there even one realistic advantage to the carbine gas system on a 16" barrel?

Also has there been any head to head tests using rifles identical in every way minus their gas systems?

All a lot of if's and guesswork. How about some empirical testing and data gathering. Have someone build a series of rifles that are identical but that have one variable per batch. To wit: same stock, trigger, barrel length, handguard, etc. Build one with carbine gas, mid-length, and rifle length. Then, various gas port sizes. Then various buffer weight etc, you get the gist of the idea?

Testing procedure: All participants will be seated at a bench rest equipped range. They will be blind-folded. A range officer will position a rifle in front of the person doing the test. They will settle in to shooting position under RO supervision. Five shots will be fired. Testee will be asked to rate felt recoil etc. Repeat with each variation of rifle.

I have a crisp $100.00 bill that says less than 5% of shooters will get even 2-3 right out of the total sample. That low a percentage likely falls within the statistical range of simple random chance.
Then subject those same rifles to machine rested firing strings until a part failure occurs. Record and post data. But that likely will never happen.

So yet another GD topic goes on.......on........on.............
My question......as long as you can hit your target, or get the level of accuracy you desire, does it really matter?

NOT TRYING TO PISS ON OP's THREAD! I am curious just how a person could notice/sense the difference between two barrels that have a difference in gas tube length of approx. 1.2-1.3 inches during an event that takes milliseconds to occur. I just do not believe the human nervous system is that finely tuned.

As always, I am more than willing to read any thing that will show me the error of my ways if my hypothesis is wrong. Have at me, guys

Have to agree with this...I just finished building a 7.62x39 AR, carbine length too, and after some fiddling with an adjustable gas block, it shoots smooth and with virtually the same recoil as a 5.56...and I HATE carbine length barrels, fighting the temptation to sell this one and get the middy I found, but can't justify it.

Why is that?, because the gas tube length is not the only factor involved, though the longer gas systems will be smoother with all other factors being the same, though they seldom are...gas port sizes vary, as do barrel weights, and buffer weights.

That being said, I prefer a mid-length every day, and twice on Sunday.

NOW, here is the other reason why the 16 inch barrel is so common. $$$$ Since barrel blank lengths are "generally" 25 inches long, you can carve out a 16 AND a 7 or 7.5 inch blank and get 2 barrels for the price of one blank. This is not a Military concern, as much as it it for the civvie market.  Obviously you can also do 3 7 inch, or 2 12 inch barrels from a blank, and some other combos too. But 16 inches is as long as you can go and still get 2 barrels from one blank. And it has been shown that within certain range limits the 5.56 is a very capable round, but as with most things in life there are always trade-offs. Truth be known, for 95% of the shooting public, this is all a moot point.

Safe shooting y'all.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There is no functional difference between carbine & middy. Internet people claim that middys have a reduced recoil impulse, but in my personal experience, I think it's mostly just hype.

The pros of a middy are that if you use a fsb, you have a little bit longer sight radius. They are also less prone to being over gassed.

View Quote

Ok bud.

There is a much softer recoil impulse with the Midlength and it is not as hard on parts. Also doesn't have the retarded M203 cuts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As an owner of both... Get what you like the best. There isn't a hill of beans worth of functional difference between the carbine and middy gas on a 16" barrel beyond what some manufacturers want you to believe. A properly built middy is nice, but then again... So is a properly built carbine.
 Most of what you will read in the way of opinions on this subject amounts to nothing more than people trying to justify their own purchase decisions by bashing those of the next guy. Its no different than someone telling you that your quad rail sucks because keymod is sooo much better. I have an old Winchester lever action that will still put a hole in anything I point it at, and it was built in 1924. A lot of fads have come and gone in that time, yet the thing still works.
 I like the middy that was built for my wife, and feel that it is every bit as good of a rifle as any other that I own. I won't however, be jumping in line to dump my Colt LE6920 for a middy anytime soon. Then again, I am not a hipster. I don't wear skinny jeans, live with my parents, call myself an operator, drink Starbucks, etc.
 I am a man. I wear boots and relaxed fit jeans. I drink bourbon, and cheap beer. I fish, grow food, can shoot well, and make my own decisions. To each his own, but some of you guys remind me of listening to a couple of split tails arguing about which handbag is best. Be a man. Buy what YOU like.
View Quote

This pretty much closes this topic. Well said Shrub.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ok bud.

There is a much softer recoil impulse with the Midlength and it is not as hard on parts. Also doesn't have the retarded M203 cuts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok bud.

Care to back up your statement with measurements, facts, and science. While you're doing that I'm going to the range for some more trigger time. Let me know when your results are in.............................................Buehler, ..........Buehler......

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Gee thanks to everyone for keeping this thing going!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top