Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:35:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I would take a 14.7 or 14.5 ANYDAY OVER A 16inch PLUS

16 plus birdcage is close to 18 inches

Hell I would rather have a 12.5 or even a 10.5
If its for SHTF

Most shoots are CLOSE UP

75gr TAP works well in 10.5 barrels

The extra Velocity one gets with a 16 inch plus  is BULL!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:37:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Guys,
I  have 3 ARs now and really enjoy them.  Two are varmint models and one is a Bushy 16 inch carbine.  But, I see allot of folks w/ 14.5 inch barrels and permanently attached flash hiders to total 16 inches keeping them legal.  What is the advantage to this?

I would think that since the "tube" has to be 16 total, why not have all of it be barrel.  Seems that the only thing the 16 would result in would be a louder gun and a loss in accuracy/velocity.  I guess I am just missing something.

Thanks, just trying to learn.
Hank

Actually, a 14.5" bbl with an attached 1.5" FH is LOUDER than a 16" bbl with no FH at all. The 16" bbl is clearly ballistically superior to the 14.5". Pushing a "heavy" bullet like a 69 SMK or 77 SMK, the 14.5" bbl will probably produce velocities about 50 fps less than the same load in a 16" (assuming you are using a fast powder).

I think most of the guys probably buy the M4 profile 14.5" with permanently pinned FH for the "coolness" factor. There's nothing wrong with that as long as you know the carbine will be losing about 50 fps muzzle velocity and be louder (to you and others near you) than a "clean" 16 bbl.

Like a Bad guy will know

PUH LEEEZE
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:47:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I had a RRA 16" middy with their HBAR profile and got tired of the extra weight.  So, a trip to ADCO and I've now got a lightweight barrel profile and 14.7" w/pinned A2.  The difference in both weight (over 1¼ lbs lighter) and balance is amazing (the weight is now in the center of the rifle, not muzzle heavy).  Steve puts a target crown on the muzzle and it is still an accurate shooter.  BTW, barrel length doesn't affect accuracy, it affects velocity.

SMART MAN

Back in 2001 I cut my Bushmaster Carbine Down to 14.7
I also run 2 14.5 LMT with Phantoms

Like you Big difference

I would Never ever Own a 16 inch barrel thats close to 18inches
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I know this is a little late but I figured I'd throw my .02 in before Obama gets elected and taxes them down to .01.
I have both. A 14.5" Gov profile car with a perm phantom, and a 16" RRA middy turned down by Steve at adco.
I'm selling the middy for a loss to build a 14.7" CMMG with a perm A2 on Stag body parts.
While the middy is nice, the 14.5" CAR makes me giggle.
I just dig the piss out of it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:27:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Isn't the reticle on an ACOG calibrated for the 14.5" barrel instead of a 16" or do they make one for each?
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
14.5" with perm hider = bayonet
16" = no bayonet (unless you get one of those funky long handled ones)

True.  I remember the last time I got caught without my bayontet.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#7]
So, I'm assuming that a true M4, with a total barrel length of 14.5 w/FH, has a barrel with an actual length of ~13 inches?
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Why because at real world ranges of 50yds and under 95% of the time or more for us civilians theres no advantage of 16" over 14.5.Its just a matter of shortest legal legnth without paying $200 for SBR rifle although if your going 11.5 or 10.5 then thats the way to go for an SBR.

I was never a fan of permanent 5.5 inch hiders on 11.5 barrels because its a waste when you can have more barrel...unless you go 11.5,thats when its worth it to have an SBR.As far as accuracy a 14.5 barrel will be just as accurate as a 16 or 20" barrel at the same distance..just a shorter sight radius on a carbine..velocity means nothing out to 100 yds from a 5.56 and accuracy is the same so why not a 14.5 or 14.7 over 16".
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top