Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/22/2021 9:22:17 PM EDT
Has anyone used the old school CAR stocks on a .458 SOCOM rifle? Did it hold up?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The old school CAR stocks are well known to auto collapse if using the heavier recoiling loads.  It may not happen to everyone but it has happened to more than a few so they are not recommended.  That goes for the newer M4 telescoping stocks also; they may be a bit better but there have been more than few that have been damaged.  You also have to remember that while a CAR stock pretty much looks like any other CAR stock, they can be vastly different in the material used to assemble them and the strength of those materials.  Same for the M4 stocks.  Stocks that I personally know will hold up under the heaviest loads, any Magpul stock with the locking mechanism like the CTR, which is my favorite stock to use on any SOCOM variant that does not have a fixed stock.

The old ACE M4 SOCOM stock WILL NOT hold up unless you lock it into position, as in make it non-adjustable.  You can still adjust length, but you have to loosen a bolt to do so so the stock is not easily adjustable by simply pushing a button and sliding the stock on the receiver extension.  I had one of the old ACE M4 SOCOM stocks, CAR length with cone shaped locking mechanism, collapse on me quite dramatically.  The newer rectangular shaped locking mechanism was also not rated for the .458 SOCOM and I have a couple, but I never tried them unlocked. ACE said it WAS not rated for the .458, only for cartridges that recoiled equal to or less than the 6.8 SPC.  Of course, ACE is long gone and sold their stock rights to someone else but I don't recall who that is now.

I have found a simple test to see if the stock will hold up.  Ask the maker.  If they will warranty the stock against damage caused by the .458 SOCOM and put it in writing, give it a try, if they say it will hold up but not put it in writing, pass.  I had two different PDR type stock makers swear up and down the .458 SOCOM would not damage the stock (over $200 each) but they would never put it in writing (I asked verbally NRA convention and asked for an email conformation, but they refused) so I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that if would have been damaged, they'd deny ever saying otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Yowsers

I'm sure it will work for awhile....  But if the latch slips it will be spectacular!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. Sounds like I'm going to pin it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I know you didn't ask, but maybe others will be interested.

I have had a vltor adjustable stock on my 50 Beowulf for a few years now.

Just as tight as when it was new.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Lightweight and .458 do not go together.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Is someone doing an A1 458 build?  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is someone doing an A1 458 build?  
View Quote
Someone is. Yes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#8]
This might work a bit better.

Cross Armory | CA Legal AR-15 Fixed Stock | STOCK LOCK Installation

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:19:03 AM EDT
[#9]
FAB Defense GL-Shock stock has a recoil reducing spring in it for heavy  loads.  Also has optional pads with big cushions.  Might relieve the impact to the locking thingie.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top