Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2023 10:01:20 PM EDT
Posted: Today 9:46:03 PM EDT
18" Proof Research .308 barrel with rifle-length gas.  Sharps XPB BCG.  Carbine buffer tube with JP silent capture spring. Seekins Select adjustable gas block.  

I adjusted the gas from fully open until the BCG was still reliably locking back.  Throughout the adjustment range, shells would either eject a few inches away, or end up back in the chamber.  I did my best to capture this in a slo-mo video.

From looking at the video, can anyone knowledgeable tell me if it appears that the buffer needs a stronger or lighter spring, more mass, etc.?  I'm at a loss.  It could just be the ejector.  But the ejector (double ejectors) seem to have the normal tension.  

The first video is what it looks like when it does eject.  The second video is what it looks like when the brass ends up back in the chamber.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VaJh2mBcPVQFPCtu9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sLYWoAQyY2L9Q1Fy6
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Ammo?

My first thought is your gas block isn't properly aligned with the gas port. You're not getting enough gas to run the action.

Dump the JP silent spring system and use a heavy buffer.

I use Slash's Heavy Buffers in my Armalite AR-10B's. Have excellent reliability and ejection around three to four feet at 3:00 in the prone position.

I reload exclusively, never fired any factory ammo through my AR-10's. Lake City or IMI surplus brass.

40.0 grains of IMR-4895
40.7 grains of IMR-4064
41.5 grains of VihtaVuori N150

all with 168 grain SMK's seated at 2.800". Winchester standard large rifle primers.

I bump the shoulders to SAAMI minimum headspace -.001". I use micrometer headspace gages to set up the dies.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Ammo is Federal Gold Medal Match with 168 gr. SMK.  

Gas block is aligned.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting info.  The bolt catch stops it pretty much flush with the rear of the ejection port, maybe just a millimeter behind it.  Further pull of the charging handle takes it back about another couple millimeters.  Pics for reference, with bolt locked on the bolt catch.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wd6a9b24bCWnyMqa7

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top