Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2020 11:59:40 AM EDT
Hi All,

I have kind of a weird one that I can't seem to figure out. Upper is a bravo company with a 9" barrel. BCG is ranier arms, nickel boron. Ammo doesn't seem to be the issue, I've had pretty consistent failures across brands. This happens both supressed and unsupressed. Probably a little more often suppressed. I tried different BCGs and they seem to perform much better.

With supersonic, I get a failure to extract on 1 out of 2 shots, sometimes it's 1 for 1.
With subsonic, I get a failure to extract on 1 out of every 10 shots.

The BCG is new, very clean, well lubed. Visual inspection shows no issues on the extractor.

It's not that the bolt isn't going back far enough, because on every FTE, another round is picked up from the mag and attempted to feed, but obviously it just jams.

Does anybody have ideas on this?? Maybe just upgrade the extractor?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You didn’t mention how heavy your buffer is.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You didn’t mention how heavy your buffer is.
View Quote
Oh boy....I might be a complete idiot. It's an H1. Should I have a much heavier one?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Shouldn’t be a buffer issue if the case is still stuck in the chamber, especially if you’re getting enough carrier movement to strip another round from the mag.

On top of that, the fact that a different BCG seems to fix the issue leads me to believe extractor issue.

Is the extractor spring installed correctly, is the little rubber bumper in place beneath the spring, and is there an o-ring?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Shouldn’t be a buffer issue if the case is still stuck in the chamber, especially if you’re getting enough carrier movement to strip another round from the mag.

On top of that, the fact that a different BCG seems to fix the issue leads me to believe extractor issue.

Is the extractor spring installed correctly, is the little rubber bumper in place beneath the spring, and is there an o-ring?
View Quote
This was my thought too. Yes, they look correct. I bought a bcm extractor upgrade kit, but haven't shot since uninstalled it. What's throwing me off is that subsonics are extracting so much better. Wouldn't an extractor issue be the same on both?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This was my thought too. Yes, they look correct. I bought a bcm extractor upgrade kit, but haven't shot since uninstalled it. What's throwing me off is that subsonics are extracting so much better. Wouldn't an extractor issue be the same on both?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supersonic loads mean more gas pressure in the gas tube/bolt carrier, meaning increased carrier speeds and a sharper acceleration force on the BCG.  This sharper rearward acceleration could contribute to extractor lift and if something is off with the geometry of the lip on the extractor, could lead to increased incidences of it slipping off the rim of the case.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#6]
That makes sense! Thank you!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top