Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2018 11:41:13 PM EDT
I'm going to build a dual use A2 rifle lower for a 6.5 Grendel and a .22LR. I want to use a decent 2 stage trigger like a SSA or MBT2. But it seems I've read there's known issues with cmmg 22 bolts and after market triggers ? What are some good triggers known to work with CMMG 22 bolts?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used a lot of Geissele triggers and currently an AR Gold with a CMMG bolt. No problems encountered at all.

Only trigger compatability issue I've had was my Geissele SD3G not working for 9mm.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a MBT in my CMMG build and no problems after 4-500 rds.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Great, maybe I was thinking about compatibility problems with 9mm bolts.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great, maybe I was thinking about compatibility problems with 9mm bolts.
View Quote
The MBT works very well with the CMMG bolt.  The problem I encountered was that the hammer spring on the MBT was much, much stronger than it needs to be for the 22lr.  I use a reduced power hammer spring with an MBT and went from breaking a firing pin every 1200 rounds to the current FP having survived 8,000-ish rounds.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The MBT works very well with the CMMG bolt.  The problem I encountered was that the hammer spring on the MBT was much, much stronger than it needs to be for the 22lr.  I use a reduced power hammer spring with an MBT and went from breaking a firing pin every 1200 rounds to the current FP having survived 8,000-ish rounds.
View Quote
What spring are you using and how did you choose that one?  @zukiphile
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What spring are you using and how did you choose that one?  @zukiphile
View Quote
I am using a Taylor Tactical reduced power spring, and have also used a Lakeside Machine 30% spring.  The Lakeside Machine spring comes in a $30 kit of other springs, but the Taylor springs are more reasonably priced.  I chose them by installing them and testing to see whether they fire a round.

I'm also experimenting with sanding down a standard hammer spring along the coils on both sides.  I hate the idea of bending the legs on springs, so I'm avoiding it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a $100 no-name cassette trigger, and it gives the occasional misfire on bulk pack.  Probably going to drop a LaRue on it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am using a Taylor Tactical reduced power spring, and have also used a Lakeside Machine 30% spring.  The Lakeside Machine spring comes in a $30 kit of other springs, but the Taylor springs are more reasonably priced.  I chose them by installing them and testing to see whether they fire a round.

I'm also experimenting with sanding down a standard hammer spring along the coils on both sides.  I hate the idea of bending the legs on springs, so I'm avoiding it.
View Quote
Looking at the TTactical springs, (Link) i see they have reduced power hammer and trigger springs. Am I right in assuming you just use the hammer spring?
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Giessle Hi Speed Match with CMMG bolt and barrel, NFA carbon fiber lower Gen2, Aero upper, zero issues with trigger.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Giessle Hi Speed Match with CMMG bolt and barrel, NFA carbon fiber lower Gen2, Aero upper, zero issues with trigger.
View Quote
Wow.... and here I thought I was going over the top with a MBT 2 stage.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:25:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just like to hit what I  aim at
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh I agree.  I have 3 HSNM triggers and love them.  I just couldnt justify 1 for my 22 but the MBT I could.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#14]
It helps that a lower can be more than just a dedicated 22 -- I use my comp lower for both my .223 competition upper and a .22 upper I made to clone it, so my AR Gold trigger is doing double duty there.

The second Swarovski z8i I bought for the 22 on the other hand......
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been have issues with my CMMG and MBT. I'll get a chambered round but dead trigger.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:05:18 AM EDT
[#16]
More than likely your bolt is short stroke with not enough momentum to cock the hammer.  This is common with newer bolts so it is a good idea to run them pretty wet with CLP/Slip2000 or use dry lube.   This is also common where the hammer does not cock when using standard velocity ammo.   I’ve had good luck with CCI Mini Mags, Aguila Super Extra 40 grain plated round nose, CCI Blazer lead and Federal 36 grain plated HV bulk (Champion or Walmart 550 packs).    I’ve used Winchester 555, 333, 222, packs but quality varies more, some boxes are better or worse than others.

There are two trigger springs with the MBT 2S, light and heavy.   You might try the lighter spring.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the lighter spring in, and the bolt itself has about 10,000 rounds on it. I was using Aguilla standard velocity ammo. I'll do some experiments with different ammo and see how it goes. I didn't have problems with this combo and an RRA trigger so I may just go back to that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ve run a Geiselle SD3G, Larue MBT, Fostech Echo ARII, and Franklin Armory BFSIII in my dedicated 22LR.

The only trigger I had issues with was the SD3G (light primer strikes). My favorite of all of them for 22LR is the BFSIII.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Check out the Elfman SE trigger. I use it on my hunting lower with my 6.5 Grendel, 22LR upper, and 300 OSSM upper. I love that trigger I even put it in my dads AR10.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top