Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2021 2:13:11 PM EDT
I am in need of some ideas and more insight into buying three red dots. I need two for my AR-15's and one for my Tavor x95. I would like them to be rugged and duty ready. Something that will take a beating and keep going. I plan to take classes over the next year and some of these classes will make me use my optics hard.

So, if you had a $1000 bucks to spend, what would you buy? Remember this is for three red dots and the budget is $1000 bucks.  

Here is a little cheat sheet of what I am considering right now.

For my Tavor -

Trijicon MRO

Aimpoint Pro - Also is there a mount that will help shave some weight off the optic?

AR-15's -

Holosun 510c

Holosun 512c

Sig Romeo 5

Holosun 403B

Primary Arms SLx MD-25

Vortex Strikefire II 4 MOA Red Dot

Those are just a few of the optics that I have been looking at. I am open to suggestions and why you would or wouldn't buy those optics. The two at the top of my list are two optics that I keep going back and forth on. I think at this point its a toss up on what one I will go with. I doubt I can go wrong with either of them. The only thing holding me back on the Aimpoint Pro is the weight. Its going on my x95 that has a mounted light and a vertical fore grip on it. I really don't want to add a lot of weight to this rifle. With that being said, I'm about to pull the trigger and order the Trijicon MRO. I'm still watching videos and reading about both optics. I plan on buying in the next two months.

Thanks everyone, let the comments fly!

***Edit more information and another red dot to the mix***

I wanted to aslo ask if there is a mount that will lighten the Aimpoint Pro? If I could save some weight hands down I would go with the Aimpoint.

Should I even consider the Vortex Strikefire II?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#1]
MRO

Others will recommend the lower cost options, I won't.  I've been down that path and I refuse to compromise.

Warranty returns, wasted ammo and frustration is what you'll eventually get trying to save a few bucks today.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MRO

Others will recommend the lower cost options, I won't.  I've been down that path and I refuse to compromise.

Warranty returns, wasted ammo and frustration is what you'll eventually get trying to save a few bucks today.
View Quote

I agree with this. I'd say anything by aimpoint as well.

The MRO and PRO for your total budget for all 3 is the best way to go. The options you listed for the "budget" optics I wouldn't put as duty use/bomb proof
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm guessing that my best bet is to up my budget just a little and get either two or three Aimpoint Pro's or two or three Trijicon MRO's. I wish I had a local shop that had these in stock. If I could get them in hand and see how they are that would help me decide.

Now let me ask this question, what one would you put on a Tavor x95? I don't want to weigh down the rifle. I can feel the difference of the rifle now that it has a light on the front of it.

I think I need to give a bit of history too about myself.

A few years ago I had a stroke at the age of 29. My muscles have not recovered 100% from that and they never will. One of the factors to them never recovering is that I also have disk pressing on the spinal cord. It has done damage that I'm I will never recover from even if I have surgery. I can only prevent more damage.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#4]
If it were me I'd buy 3 Holosun HE503CU-GR's and mount them on 3 Midwest Industries Non-OD Mounts

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Non-QD-Mount-for-Aimpoint-T1-Co-Witness-p/mi-t1-co.htm

or

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Non-QD-Mount-for-Aimpoint-T1-Lower-1-3-p/mi-t1-1-3.htm

Plus these of course:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019944750

That will put you slightly over your budget by less than $80.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Of the MRO and PRO I'd go MRO for the tavor. You can get stock mounts in 3 different heights for it. I've got MROs on a couple ARs and AKs as well.

In the end it's going to be personal preference as both are good optics. I just like that the larger objective on the MRO eliminates the "tube" effect I get with the aimpoints. But again, this is a personal issue as others don't experience that same effect or can ignore it successfully and aimpoint have a huge following and excellent track record
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm guessing that my best bet is to up my budget just a little and get either two or three Aimpoint Pro's or two or three Trijicon MRO's. I wish I had a local shop that had these in stock. If I could get them in hand and see how they are that would help me decide.

Now let me ask this question, what one would you put on a Tavor x95? I don't want to weigh down the rifle. I can feel the difference of the rifle now that it has a light on the front of it.

I think I need to give a bit of history too about myself.

A few years ago I had a stroke at the age of 29. My muscles have not recovered 100% from that and they never will. One of the factors to them never recovering is that I also have disk pressing on the spinal cord. It has done damage that I'm I will never recover from even if I have surgery. I can only prevent more damage.
View Quote

I think a dot and magnifier combo is perfect for a Tavor. My vote is MRO and MRO 3x magnifier. I never had an MRO on my SAR, but I did have the magnifier sitting behind an M21. Yes, the magnifier is made in China, but it's very nice. I would've kept it of it was only truly ambidextrous
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
If you go with MRO's make sure you get the SN >89000
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Budget of 1k? 3 airport pro's from the EE.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy 3 ACOs or PROs from Cabela’s and use active Junky to get 10% back. If you have a club card, you’ll get points back as well, and it you are patient, I get a 10% off coupon email from Cabela’s about once a month. That’s how I bought my Razor and my gunsafe, saved me a ton of dough. Buy 2 in your first transaction, bank the points and use them towards your last optic.
Aimpoint ACO

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Some combo of used MROs and PROs used from EE

I’d lean towards MROs for weight and I’ve always liked them but haven’t used a PRO personally
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#11]
If your barrel lengths are between 14.5-20” for all of the guns, BDC red dots are the way. You get built in holdovers for in house distance all the way out to the effective range of 5.56 cartridge in the same sight (when used in conjunction with a magnifier).

Holosun HS503G-ACSS - $220/ea = $660
Holosun HM3X Magnifier - $200

If you want QD mounts for the red dots, ADM’s T1 mounts are $90/ea.

Only need one magnifier since it’s comes on a QD mount.

This sight gives you a chevron and holdover dots built in for:
10/600yd
25/400yd
50/200yd
100yd
300yd
500yd

There is also a fast acquisition “horseshoe of death”.

Reticle
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay, here is where my head is at and where it’s been. The MRO would go on my Tavor x95. The AR’s are still up in the air.

I have a Meprolight M21 on my Tavor SAR and I’m tempted to get another one. Solid sight and built like a tank. I just don’t want to have to worry about replacing it ten or twelve years down the roads like I have to now with it being on my SAR. I think Trijicon has a similar sight and offers replacement of the tritium.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the way
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Scalarworks makes the lightest mount for the PRO. Great solid product but I’m selling mine in favor of the MRO.

Easier to stick a 1.93 mount under the MRO and a little less tube effect
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#15]
How many threads are you going to post on the same topic?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:23:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is the way
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the way

This again or an aimpoint pro, MRO and put a PA red dot on that Tavor.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:24:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How many threads are you going to post on the same topic?
View Quote

Haha. This is my last thread on the subject. Each one has been different and has gotten me different information they had helped.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the way

I have been looking at the PA SLx MD-25. It reminds me of the MRO. I have been told a couple of police departments are using them. One of the guys that told me that is an officer.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have been looking at the PA SLx MD-25. It reminds me of the MRO. I have been told a couple of police departments are using them. One of the guys that told me that is an officer.
View Quote

The only reason I sold mine was none of the settings worked right under nods, too bright or too dim. If you don’t care about that, I’d just get three of these.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I would pick a PRO for your truck/home defense gun. Buy off EE if you want to save money. Then either a PRO and 510C or two 510C’s on the other two.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The only reason I sold mine was none of the settings worked right under nods, too bright or too dim. If you don’t care about that, I’d just get three of these.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have night vision and don't plan to . . . at least not any time soon. It interest me but I'm not sure I can or will ever be able to afford it.

So you had the SLx MD-25? Would you consider it an optic that could take a beating and keep on ticking? Its one that I have looked at for as long as I have looked at the MRO. It seems to have the same field of view. Maybe I'll pick one of those up and slap it on one of my AR's. I also some retro rifles that I may at some point add optics too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would pick a PRO for your truck/home defense gun. Buy off EE if you want to save money. Then either a PRO and 510C or two 510C’s on the other two.
View Quote

I have not seen any PRO's on EE as of late. Or if I do  most are at the price of buying new for just a little more. I am looking and watching. I do like the Holosun 510c and the updated version of that the 512c. The 512c is out of stock everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I like everyone saying the Aimpoint PRO when the last 30 days in the EE, there hasn't been one listed for under $380.

I would still try to stretch the budget and pick up some of them, but the Holosuns are some really good options too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I like everyone saying the Aimpoint PRO when the last 30 days in the EE, there hasn't been one listed for under $380.

I would still try to stretch the budget and pick up some of them, but the Holosuns are some really good options too.
View Quote

This isn't 2019.  Going to need to expand your budgets to get quality.

Or wait and wait.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm looking but right now I've seen nothing within my price range for something used. I'm still doing my research on things and saving up to buy three optics. It might come down to me buying two and waiting for a third option later.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Or wait and wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or wait and wait.

I'm waiting. I am in no hurry. I am also saving a little as I look and research things too. The Trijicon Pro is one that I will splurge and buy soon. I kind of want the Aimpoint Pro for at least one of my AR's. I may also get a Primary Arms SLx MD-25. I watched a video of a guy beating it into the ground and it held zero. I also like the looks of the optic. Maybe I'll end up with two of them an an MRO.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#27]
a grand I would buy 2 rmrs and 1.93 mounts for them and I would get to the other gun later that can use left over crap I got lying around.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
a grand I would buy 2 rmrs and 1.93 mounts for them and I would get to the other gun later that can use left over crap I got lying around.
View Quote
I'm an unabashed RMR fan, but there's no reason on gods green earth I'd go with something like that setup when normal, closed emitter sights with great FOV's are cheaper than the bare RMR.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:56:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm an unabashed RMR fan, but there's no reason on gods green earth I'd go with something like that setup when normal, closed emitter sights with great FOV's are cheaper than the bare RMR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  The RMR is not the way for a long gun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using AliasSLH ‘s logic then buy two Aimpoint PRO’s and get to the third gun later or pick up a PA version of the PRO for the third.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Using AliasSLH ‘s logic then buy two Aimpoint PRO’s and get to the third gun later or pick up a PA version of the PRO for the third.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn’t know Primary Arms had a version of the pro. I will go and look at that one. I like their line of dots. Good value and seem to take a beating and keep going.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I didn’t know Primary Arms had a version of the pro. I will go and look at that one. I like their line of dots. Good value and seem to take a beating and keep going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They look real close to a PRO, they are a decent simple red dot like a PRO. Both are 30mm tubes and can use the same mount. Are they as tough as a PRO? Probably not, but they are fine for a range gun or entry level gun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I would buy a PRO or MRO for the Tavor then another pro or mro for one AR then just get like a Sig Romeo for the second AR.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I would buy a PRO or MRO for the Tavor then another pro or mro for one AR then just get like a Sig Romeo for the second AR.
View Quote

This is my thought right now. I’m on auction sights and making offers on Aimpoint Pro’s. My third AR I may wait and buy unless I get some good deals. The Sig Romeo 5 is one that I like and I’ve seen torture test on. One video a guy shot it with a 12ga shotgun. I was impressed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is my thought right now. I’m on auction sights and making offers on Aimpoint Pro’s. My third AR I may wait and buy unless I get some good deals. The Sig Romeo 5 is one that I like and I’ve seen torture test on. One video a guy shot it with a 12ga shotgun. I was impressed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OTOH my brother in law has a Romeo 5 that failed sitting in a closet.

Aimpoint PRO is the way to go, save if you need to.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:45:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I’d get 3 Holosun 403R’s and some quality mounts.

Quoted:

OTOH my brother in law has a Romeo 5 that failed sitting in a closet.

Aimpoint PRO is the way to go, save if you need to.
View Quote

Ehh, not really a good unit of measure. I had a T1 fail just shooting at the range.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I decided to go Trijicon MRO and I am still looking for either a used Aimpoint or a a new one at a good price. So far, no real luck. I was out bid on an Aimpoint. I think my third optic I may go with a prism scope from Primary Arms or Vortex. I'm just not sure what magnification. 1x, 2x or 3x?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I just arrived at this party.  I see you made your decision.  I would have said 3 Holosun 403R and spent money on ammo, mags....  I have used lots of "quality optics".  I love my 403Rs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I just arrived at this party.  I see you made your decision.  I would have said 3 Holosun 403R and spent money on ammo, mags....  I have used lots of "quality optics".  I love my 403Rs.
View Quote

American made, and he may be good on ammo and mags.

Good choice.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:42:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m good on ammo right now. My goal was 5k rounds of .223/5.56 and I got that. My other rounds are close to being the amount that I want. Right now I’m working on optics and waiting for ammo prices to come back down.

I need to look at the 403R. I don’t remember that one. I will check it out. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#41]
MRO or PRO; preferably 3 of the same thing, but any combination of the two will do as long as it fits under budget.

A benefit of the PRO is that you can buy used ones and be confident in them.   And also save money with old OEM mounts.   If you're on a budget, this is not the time to cut corners on the optics to get fancier mounts.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#42]
OP, I'm curious why you wouldn't consider the Holosun 530 series other than cost?

Solar power as an option, two reticles, 50,000 hour battery, shake awake, titanium housing, decent QD mount, killflash, lens covers etc. But the biggest thing is that it has a 30mm diameter window, it's not the size of he Aimpoint T1/T2. I put one on my 2 gun rifle and have been really pleased with it, I just leave it on Solar Only and never use battery beyond the ultra low setting it has when the panel won't light the LED anymore. Even then, it shuts off on it's own when I leave it in the safe. The build quality is there, price isn't crazy, I'd take mine to a SHTF.

Personally, I wouldn't be looking at anything with an open emitter-only sealed sights. I recently found out how much open emitter sights suck on a humid rainy night down around freezing..... it was worthless. Rockstar on a sunny summer USPSA match day but I literally couldn't see the dot with the back of the lens fogging and getting rain buildup.

I think that you should also be looking at 1x prism sights as they don't have to have batteries to work and they have diopter adjustment for when you don't have your glasses or your vision changes. Primary Arms has a really kick ass replacement for the Cyclops coming out and there are leftover Bushnell Lil' P's at Natchez for $150. I picked up two for me and three for buddies because they are that good. The glass is brighter and has a better FOV than a TA44 ACOG.... and it comes with a low and high riser mount.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
MRO

View Quote

I live 5 miles from Trijicon and I wish I could say that I have never had to send anything back because it has happened more than once,..... even on battery-free sights. I love their shit but it's stagnated while other companies have moved in and started to take their lunch money. This isn't 2005, everyone who was willing to pay WOT prices for quality sights and scopes from Trijicon has already. They need to kick it in gear, add diopter adjustment to the ACOG line, make an enclosed Dual Illuminated version of the RX34, or better yet an enclosed and updated version of the DI RMR and Reflex2. These are all products that I would buy again if they were improved.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Okay, here is where my head is at and where it’s been. The MRO would go on my Tavor x95. The AR’s are still up in the air.

I have a Meprolight M21 on my Tavor SAR and I’m tempted to get another one. Solid sight and built like a tank. I just don’t want to have to worry about replacing it ten or twelve years down the roads like I have to now with it being on my SAR. I think Trijicon has a similar sight and offers replacement of the tritium.
View Quote

I"ve had both the -21 and the RX34 that is similar from Trijicon. I like both a lot, would still have the RX34 but a friend helped me out and needed a sight for 2gun and he loves it too. Trijicon is not super happy about replacing tritium in old Reflex sights. They will do it but they ask a lot. Mepro doesn't have this problem but I think you still have to send it to Israel to get it done. Trijicon offers a green dot option on the RX34 that might be of value to you, but the amber is much better.

But my recent experience with open emitter reflex sights makes me not want to recommend one for SHTF or a working rifle. They can pack up with mud, snow, or fog over like mine did. It happens.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks everyone. I will look at the Holosun mentioned above. The MRO is one that I have coming and I think I just might have snagged an Aimpoint Pro.

I’ve got one or two more rifles now to get dots for. I just picked up an A2 that will be more modern with Magpul furniture. I plan to get two more optics over the course of six months.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:08:05 AM EDT
[#46]
I'd take a pro over a MRO. just wish there was better tall mount options for the pro. I've personally bugged all the tier 1 mount guys to make a 1.93 or taller PRO mount and nothing yet.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'd take a pro over a MRO. just wish there was better tall mount options for the pro. I've personally bugged all the tier 1 mount guys to make a 1.93 or taller PRO mount and nothing yet.
View Quote

I have seen that comment a couple of times. People would choose the Pro over the MRO. Why is that?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's wrong with the ADM NV?

I'm good with either my PROs or my MROs but, I'd take the MRO if it's the only option I had due to weight.

Both work good with NVG, but for me the MRO is slightly easier to pick up while passive aiming.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks everyone for the help. I have asked questions here and on Facebook and I think I have all the answers I need to get the dots that I want and need.

What I am getting so far -

Trijicon MRO with a lower 1/3rd mount. After asking questions about the LaRue mount I will not be getting that one. The mount causes problems with the rail on the Tavor rifles. I have placed my order for this optic with a factory 1/3rd mount. I may look at a different mount down the road. I'm still on the fence about liking this one.

Aimpoint Pro. This is going to go on my AR-15. I may test it out on my Tavor Sar and see how I like the weight of it. If it feels good I may sell my Meprolight M21 and place the Pro on it.

Holosun HE530g. This is their military grade optic that competes with the Aimpoint T1 and T2's. Slightly larger but uses those mounts. It also has a great field of view. I'm going to put this on one of my other AR-15's. It has 50K hours of battery life and three different reticles. This and the Aimpoint may end up being my favorite red dots. It has the same field of view as the Pro but a bit smaller.

I am looking for a dot for my shotguns. This will be something I buy down the road.

Thanks everyone for the help. I have learned a lot and I feel I have asked all the right questions to educate myself.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top