Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/12/2021 11:32:05 AM EDT
putting a reddot on the AK soon,what is the best zero for hits out to 300yds?  thanks
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I would look up from the manufacturer the ballistics chart for the type of ammo you are going to shoot
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Save this website. Change the data in the first table to your ammo and sight height above center bore.  Midway USA has ballistic coefficient for most ammo and roundabout FPS. Play with it and enjoy.
Shooters Calculator
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Context, non magnified 4 moa red dot.

I picked 50 yards, because mine is fairly low mounted (PK-01VS) I seem to do fine with a 2" holdover back to about 30 yards, and then dot on center out to about 200 yards, and then start holdovers again.  Of course doing the ballistic chart is the right way to get the answer.   Practical use, most steel case 124gr stuff, I found I can get hits on steel (we have 10" and 12" plates) out to 285 yards without any magnification and my holdover out there at 250 yards to 285 is about one (4 moa) dot.  

For a magnified scope, certainly one with a fine reticle instead of the 4 moa dot, I am sure I would choose another approach to the zeroing choice.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#4]
For X39 it will be hard to get a 0-300 zero. I would just zero at 100 to keep it simple and write the drops for 200 to 300 on some tape on the stock.

With 5.56 and probably 5.45 you could get a 50-250 zero but for the X39 it's probably a 50-150.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I zero 7.62x39mm at 100 yards because I don't consider it a capable of good accuracy at extended ranges. After mounting a pistol scope on a railed gas tube that has changed. I feel a 150 yard zero is better for a scoped AK, probably a RDS as well.

7.62x39mm trajectories resemble a Hail Mary pass. 300 yards, maybe a little more, is probably the maximum effective range when you factor in the accuracy component.

Standard AK sights are one step above useless, especially as you age. A RDS is my minimum requirement.

Finding ammo that consistently groups under 3.0 moa is a challenge. Yugoslavian corrosive ball has worked best for me so far. I hate shooting it in my rifles, but it does force me to keep up on maintenance.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
putting a reddot on the AK soon,what is the best zero for hits out to 300yds?  thanks
View Quote
25cm low at 100m is the soviet battle sight zero IIRC. Just remember from about 25 to 250 you are going to be high or way high. Aim for gut/belt. Use hold under for small target.

I prefer that on irons where a holdover obscures the target. With a red dot I would probably zero for 200, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Using a scope mounted on a C39V2 and cheap Russian ammo, I shot sub MOA at 300 yards with all shots being in the head of a steel silhouette (needless to say, I got rid of it when I found out how problematic it was going to get). The most accurate of my AKs is a Russian VEPR, and next is my Arsenal SAM7SF. My red dots are zeroed for 100 yards, and my Primary Arms 1-6x ACSS scope is zeroed per their directions.

AKs are far more accurate than people say. Just look up Rob Ski and the AK Operators Union Local 47-74 on Youtube for the truth.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:14:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What caliber AK?

Quoted:
Using a scope mounted on a C39V2 and cheap Russian ammo, I shot sub MOA at 300 yards...

Video or it didn't happen. <remember this is a tech forum> yes hard to believe. dryflash3
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:28:30 PM EDT
[#9]
You may want to look into a red dot or low power scope with an ACSS reticle. Then you will have some holdover dots for the longer ranges.

https://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-paralow-hs503g-red-dot-sight-acss-reticle

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx-3x32mm-gen-iii-prism-scope-with-acss-cqb-300blk-762x39mm-reticle

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I use an aimpoint R1 on a sam7 with ultimak zero @50/100m.  Puts it about 6" low @ 200m and 2' low @ 300m.  I rarely practice with it @ 300m but I've hit silhouettes and with my eyesight, I don't know what kind of situation would ever have me using this gun for anything out that far.

Maybe I suck but it's a 2moa gun at best and with the Russian stuff loaded in all my AK mags, probably 3 or 4.  My zero reflects my abilities with it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top