Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2018 5:26:35 PM EDT
i'm planning on ordering a few AK-74 parts kits for some various builds, and i go to sgammo to check out 5.45x39 ammo...and its a ghost town, damn near every OOS, google says something about an import ban, wtf

is all the vendors being sold out a result of a ban? or just a recent bum rush that should be corrected with upcoming shipments? i dont want to end up with a couple nice guns and it be a pain in the ass to feed them
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Military surplus ammo 7n6 was banned a couple of years ago or so.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to 2014...
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Military surplus ammo 7n6 was banned a couple of years ago or so.
View Quote
yeah im aware of the 7n6, i should have noted that in the OP. All the Golden Tiger, most of the Wolf/Tula, etc, that stuff is sold out everywhere online. Since i dont really follow AK ammo, im just wondering if its scarcity is short term or if its related to sanctions (i recall there being some kind of import ban talk within the past year)
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a lifetime supply stacked up so I don't follow 545 anymore. I'm sorry that you are late to the party. I was late to surplus 30-06 and that really sucked. That Danish 30-06 was match grade stuff.

7.62x51mm is still available for a bit longer. Maybe get an M1A or a converted Garand instead of the AKs.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#5]
It comes in spurts
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a ton of 5.45 available on the equipment exchange.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

yeah im aware of the 7n6, i should have noted that in the OP. All the Golden Tiger, most of the Wolf/Tula, etc, that stuff is sold out everywhere online. Since i dont really follow AK ammo, im just wondering if its scarcity is short term or if its related to sanctions (i recall there being some kind of import ban talk within the past year)
View Quote
I emailed Sam at SG and he said there will likely not be any more GT in 5.45 imported unfortunately. On the plus side, he said he has some Barnaul on the way here in the near future (next few weeks I think he said) so be on the lookout for that. He told me it's right on par with GT.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:36:44 AM EDT
[#8]
http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/5.45x39

It's still out there but there does seem to be a shrinking number of outlets
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:40:01 AM EDT
[#9]
CA gun owners bought them all.  Our liberal overlords enacted new law that require ammo purchase to go through FFL.  So we went nuts and bought shitloads of ammo in 2017.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I emailed Sam at SG and he said there will likely not be any more GT in 5.45 imported unfortunately. On the plus side, he said he has some Barnaul on the way here in the near future (next few weeks I think he said) so be on the lookout for that. He told me it's right on par with GT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked the GT 5.45 but have shot a bunch of the Barnaul and I agree, it’s pretty close to the GT, function-wise. It might be just a little less “hot” (I’ve never measured/compared muzzle velocities, so saying that is a bit subjective on my part).
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
CA gun owners bought them all.  Our liberal overlords enacted new law that require ammo purchase to go through FFL.  So we went nuts and bought shitloads of ammo in 2017.
View Quote
You dirty hookers! Way to leave enough for the rest of the class
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/5.45x39mm
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#13]
SGAmmo.com gets Golden Tiger off and on.  It's good stuff.  Stack it deep when it comes back in stock.  That's what I do.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
SGAmmo.com gets Golden Tiger off and on.  It's good stuff.  Stack it deep when it comes back in stock.  That's what I do.
View Quote
SGAmmo says not to expect any Golden Tiger 5.45 for a long time if ever since the manufacturer has issues.  However, they say some Barnaul Green box should be arriving next month, and its just as good.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Issues?  Do you have a link to that info?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:51:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Issues?  Do you have a link to that info?
View Quote
You don't know where the SGAmmo link is in the Industry Section?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/Golden-Tiger-5-45x39/467-286920/
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:15:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I just checked SGAmmo's page and see plenty of Silver Bear and Tula.
IMHO if you want something equivalent to GT the Wolf Performance in the green box is what you want, as mentioned above it sells out before the next shipment arrives so plan to put your name on the mailing list and have your credit card handy. It doesn't disappear in a day but it's not available 24/7 either.

Monarch is also a good performer with a lacquered case but not sealed at the neck & primer. Also shows in stock at Academy Sports page.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Am I the only man here that bought a lifetime supply when it was .07c per round delivered?   Is "buy cheap, stack deep" not an actual thing here?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You don't know where the SGAmmo link is in the Industry Section?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/Golden-Tiger-5-45x39/467-286920/
View Quote
Nope, had no idea they had an industry forum here.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Copy/paste from the SGAmmo thread for those who don't want to go looking for it:

Quoted:
Golden Tiger 5.45 most likely will never be imported again, with certainty not in 2018. Its great ammo but the factory has financial problems from over producing 7.62x39. Basically the factory bet big that Hillary Clinton would win the election (just like everyone else in the industry) and their would be a rush to buy ammo and made way to much 762x39 borrowing money to do so and now they cannot move it and it has all their $$ tied. If the factory does not go bankrupt before they move that ammo we may see 5.45 again some day, maybe 2019 or 2020. Until then it is my goal to move their 762x39 as best I can and try to dig them out of the jam even if it means selling at a small loss per case.

We do have Barnaul in spam cans / crates and Wolf mil-spec being made, due for delivery some time in March
View Quote
Sounds like we can buy GT 7.62x39 to help.  I can do that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Am I the only man here that bought a lifetime supply when it was .07c per round delivered?   Is "buy cheap, stack deep" not an actual thing here?
View Quote
I think many here weren't into the 5.45 at that time. I certainly wish I could have been into it during that era....
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:10:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I did
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
no you are not

OP, depending on your location 7N6 is still WIDELY available, contrary to what folks say. Gunbroker has it for about 21c round shipped , which is totally acceptable for the best ammo out there.

you can also often find it on forums for about 150-175$ per tin.

i understand that its no longer 7 cents/round, but about 18-20 cents aint bad at all.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top