Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2019 8:38:11 PM EDT
with these $199 usa made parts kits. i am wonderng, can i just be lazy and weld the receiver to the trunion in the rivet holes?
rationale is i dont have to headspace or press a barrel then.
i assume the temperament of the receiver will change if done this way, atleast around the weld spots.
thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:53:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 11:17:43 AM EDT
There's a reason those US-made rifles were cut up into kits. I wouldn't bank on the headspace being correct in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 12:43:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By par0thead151:
with these $199 usa made parts kits. i am wonderng, can i just be lazy and weld the receiver to the trunion in the rivet holes?
rationale is i dont have to headspace or press a barrel then.
i assume the temperament of the receiver will change if done this way, atleast around the weld spots.
thoughts?
View Quote
@par0thead151 got a link?
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 10:33:34 PM EDT
i think it was centerfiresystems.
i opted to not buy them as i have enough kits to build.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 7:15:42 PM EDT
There's a higher chance that the receiver will crack if welded directly to the trunnions. Seen it over on AKfiles with people that decided to weld populated trunnions.

It's possible that they welded too hot and messed up the heat treating, but the consensus was that welding to trunnions reduced the amount of flex that the receiver can have, and over time it will become stressed
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 12:22:51 PM EDT
Drill the rivets out and get a bottom tap and use screws. I used allen button head then filled the allen head with JB weld and sanded to look a rivet

Did that on 2 74 kits years ago and both are still running
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 12:33:01 PM EDT
Welding puts a lot of heat into the item.

My son modified an exhaust manifold and the turbo flange moved a half an inch he had to build a jig then heat the manifold to get it back where it needs to be.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 9:27:54 PM EDT
Riveting is not that hard.  I would just go for the rivets, the heat from welding may affect the metal's integrity, even if the weld itself doesn't crack.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 3:44:37 AM EDT
I'm actually considering going the same route. But I also am about to graduate trade school for welding.

What a lot of the problems come from is overbuilding the weld and getting the metal too hot without heat treating it properly, and the method of welding can make a difference as well.

Depending on how fucked VA becomes, I may never get a chance to do mine, but if I do I'll probably Tig it and report back on the results.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:06:15 PM EDT
Welding high-strength steels is possible, but I would advise against it.  In addition to possibly affecting the current temper of the trunnion, the newly solidified metal will (or can be) untempered-martensite that is probably under severe tension, and likely to crack unless it is re-tempered immediately.

I have no idea what AK trunnions are made of, but they are certainly some sort of high-strength alloy steel.
Top Top