Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2020 7:21:15 PM EDT
I bought my first Chinese SKS Type 56 earlier this year when Classic firearms had them. My 15 year old son and I cleaned it up using Simple Green and mineral spirits and everything went well. I don't know what it is about that rifle but we both love shooting it. When we took it out I never got it out of his hands so I bought another one when PSA had them.

Here's my problem. I can't get the firing pin out. I soaked the bolt in simple green and warm water like I did the first one but I can't get the firing pin to budge. I tried using a brass punch to drive it out and ended up bending the punch. I started using a regular punch but don't want to bugger up the firing pin.

I thought about heating up the bolt but I'm not sure that's the best idea. I've read some good reviews about Sweets 7.62 bore cleaner, I'm thinking about soaking it in that.

Anyone ever have this problem? Any advice, tips, or tricks are appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Gonna need pics.

You’re having issues driving out the retaining pin correct?

If so, Big assed hammer, steel punch and a socket
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#2]
It’s the firing pin. The retaining pin came out pretty easily.
I don’t know how to post pictures.
I spoke to Murray’s gunsmith shop and he recommended trying Sweets solvent. I stopped by cabela’s and bass pro, neither of them had it so I’ll order some.
If worse comes to worst Murray’s said I can send it to them. I may go that route if I can’t get it and have them put in their firing pin.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, that was what I was wondering. Was the FP stuck or just the retaining pin.

Maybe a chunk of popped primer is wedged in there along with some crystallized cosmoline.

Hopefully the sweets will get you squared away.

I’ve had great customer service with Ben if you have to go that route

Maybe try to source a replacement OEM bolt that’s not been fitted just in case.

Not to hard to headspace if you can get some go/no go gauges
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's the firing pin. The retaining pin came out pretty easily.
I don't know how to post pictures.
I spoke to Murray's gunsmith shop and he recommended trying Sweets solvent. I stopped by cabela's and bass pro, neither of them had it so I'll order some.
If worse comes to worst Murray's said I can send it to them. I may go that route if I can't get it and have them put in their firing pin.
View Quote
Suggest you send it to Murray's and get two (2) sprung firing pins, both fitted to your bolt.  He's look over your bolt and tweak it if it needs it.  Maybe a spare extractor, extractor spring, and retaining pin.
He did some work for me, and all is well.  Very satisfied.

Disclaimer: no financial interest.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Double-tap
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top