Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/25/2020 3:34:29 PM EDT
Bought a kit that came with the original bullet guide. When its set in the tortort receiver I believe its where it needs to be. The bolt clears it. However there is a gap between the bottom of the bullet guide and the receiver. Should I measure and cut a shim to fit in there or will the rivet hold it down?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
DId you get it working?  Post some pics...I have dealt with this more than once.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I did get it working.

I didn't get any straight answers so I went with what I thought was correct. I measured the gap between the receiver and the bullet guide. Then I EDM cut a shim and ground it to the correct thickness. Installed that under my bullet guide and riveted it in. Looked great and I thought I was golden. The bolt slid over it and rotated nicely. I went ahead and screwed the barrel in and was getting ready to permanently install it when I decided to chamber the headspace gauge and see where I was at with that. This is where the problem reared its head.

Turns out that the bolt slid over fine, but when a gauge or round was chambered it would push the bolt down into the bullet guide and lock everything up. Basically the dimension from the top of the bullet guide to the top of the chamber were too close. So I tore it apart and took out the guide.

Not knowing exactly what to do I decide to call the expert over at Hillbilly Firearms.

That was a game changer.

Jeff gave me the rundown on how to put this thing together properly. I'm not going to go through the whole process here, because it would be a mile long and frankly, I'm not sure he wants me giving out all his info.

The fix for the bullet guide is to remove material off of the bottom radius of the bullet guide until it sits down against the receiver in its pocket. This 100% worked. The gun is finished up and functions great for the few rounds I've put through it.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Check that issue off the to do list.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:24:12 AM EDT
[#4]
So an IMI guide does not fit in a Tortort receiver...your are kidding me.  I got banned on the AK files for pointing that out..but its great to hear jeff got the memo.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#5]
My Tortort receiver’s bullet guide was not out spec. The bullet guide dropped in and my rifle function flawlessly. The info you provide is awesome.  I am glad all worked out. With any and all things there is a learning curve.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#6]
glad it worked out for you- strange, that you could ask questions and get straight answers huh?
and that after all this time I "finally got the memo" about putting a galil together.

"people that can- do. the rest write memos to piss off the rest of us"- jeff Searle master machinist.

I will say Sorry before hand to the ones that are here to try and learn and be able to do their own work and maybe save some $ for what follows- but you guys need to be more careful who you hang out with.

Tommytroll not only has no idea what he's talking about- he's also a wanna be extortionist and grade A, general purpose asshole.

That's why he was lifetime banned from akfiles- period.
https://www.akfiles.com/forums/threads/banned-list.84125/page-130#post-6061536
he holds two spots on this page- #7 was a temp. ban and #9 was a perm. ban after several of the mods. pow wowed.

Tommyroid was offered the same info. on building I give to anyone and everyone- but all he did was argue that he knew how to build and I didn't.
he then demanded I give him $ or he would "express his opinion because I had no idea who I was messing with".
I told him to go have sexual intercourse with himself- guess he didn't like that one.
he also tried to extort Ben at Tortort and I think the $ amount was $3k and he got to keep the recs.

which is the only thing I don't get- if the parts were so bad you wanted money back- why want to keep them?

i'll add that had this dumbass sent me the same emails he sent to Ben at Torttort i'd have him in federal court and he'd get the second legal spanking of his life.
demanding $ under threats is actually a felony- and over the phone or net crossing state lines makes it federal dipshit- just a note for the next time you get a bright idea.
lucky for him all our conversations were over the phone.

guess it's true that a scumbags gonna scumbag.

nice YouTube videos by the way 'roid- love the squeaky no nut having voice- maybe see a doc about that.
for the next one maybe put up the video of whoever you had build up yours talk about how much trouble he had building these crap recs. - yeah I know you paid someone to build them.
no surprise there- hell, you had to pay me to do the rivet work because you weren't able too.

and you expect people to listen to your build "advise"?

so, just remember folks- you are on the internet- modern day outhouse at the all night truck stop- choose who you listen too very carefully.

mods.- this is your sight- your rules.
ban away- I won't be back here anyways.
i'm kinda picky who I hang out with- maybe you should be too.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Tenngalil you are ok in my book. You have loads of knowledge and you should not leave this sight due to others.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#8]
The mind is like a parachute, it works best while open.

Many people share information / help others and it's a great thing when someone can work thru a build learning things and apply that knowledge in the future.  Learning from people that actually know what they are doing and have experience is invaluable.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Come on Gg Jeffy (Tenngalil), the mods asked us to solve this in private..federal court sounds good to me...but you can not just throw out crap and expect me to let it ride....I got banned because I exposed your piss poor machining, fraudulent business practices and horrible customer service.  And you are partners with Tortort who happens to be a site sponsor (on AK-files).  Its obvious what type of business man you are....do you ever find those emails you "sent" me of  me agreeing to a botched  NEW receiver I purchased...the ones that i apparently agreed to accept your piss poor work and piss poor "repair"  and pay you extra for ...I know we will never see them...because they dont exist.

All I  ever wanted is what I ordered...two new fully functional receivers (remember Small ARMS review article, you have IMI drawings)...got out of spec and what should have at the most been sold as a second..was promised resolution that seem fair...and here we are....you still have my money and I still have the crap you sent...no resolution.   Now on top of the fraud, you have decided that libel me is how your are going to slitter out of this, I dont think so.

Please post up that "length process" Kornbread mentioned you probably DO NOT want people knowing about,,,the process to fix the fact that a lot of Tortort/Hillbilly receivers are machined incorrectly for an IMI bullet guide.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#10]
You should have asked Marcus or Korn to put your gun together for ya.
They had a typical build issue , asked someone that knows what they are doing for advise and then got it right all by himself.

You on the other hand claim to know how to build a rifle yet have cried about your problem on multiple forums.
You were offered a refund if you returned the parts you thought were defective. You decided not to and modified them so you own it but still crying about it here , and other places you have not been kicked off of yet.

In your case the only thing defective is your knowledge and abilities as demonstrated by Marcus and lots of other people that can build a working rifle.

You were offered a refund but you chose not to accept it so get some cheese to go along with your whine while trolling and adding nothing to any forum you post BS in.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Personal Attacks.  This is a tech forum, not the people’s court.  
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top