Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/9/2021 2:33:26 PM EDT
just picked up a real nice cosmoline covered (bluing excellent) numbers matching factory 26 rifle...

it came in a older ramline folder, no bayo, and no factory mag... which brings me to my question...

where do a find a nice factory stock, Bayonet, and 10 round fixed mag to get this back to original configuration  without breaking the bank????  I looked on Ebay but Just the Bayonet is insane.  anyone have a cheaper source or at this time am I looking at those prices for these parts?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck with that.
I picked up a cheap ‘89-90 made threaded collar SKS in an ATI stock.
I looked at restoring it to normal but it was gonna cost an arm and a leg to get the stock, hardware, bayo, & fixed mag.
Wound up just buying the fixed mag, strippers load easier in the fixed mag vs modified Tapcos.

If you go this route be aware that not all SKS stocks are the same. I’ve heard of fitment issues around the cross pin between threaded collar actions vs pinned actions. All the stocks I came across never specified which type they were.

There’s a guy on Etsy (LuckyShot?) that makes some nice wood stocks for SKSs, from custom to one that’s pretty close to the factory stock. If you don’t have a bayonet you can get a stock with no groove. About $125 last time I looked. It requires some fitting but is supposed to be cut for all actions.

There were some cheap fiberglass jungle stocks available a few years ago but without hardware.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much stated above.

It’s about to the point if you are looking for a factory SKS to buy one that way but I really do wonder what happened to all the wood stocks, bayo’s and magazines when tacticooling the SKS was all the rage.

I bought a M that was in a plastic folder and I put it into a Yugo stock.  Like stated above I had to do some work on the cross bolt and also some hand fitting of the trigger group area for it to work.  Depending on skill level it isn’t that bad but they don’t all just drop in.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
At this point, and not knowing what new Fed/State laws might be forthcoming, and not knowing if previously seldom-enforced laws/regs currently on the books might be more vigorously enforced in the future, seems to me that folks owning certain imported firearms, such as the SKS (and many others), ought to be looking into 922(R) parts compliance.

Some folks ragged on me back when I was looking for such parts, saying it was not necessary.  Well, it might become very necessary, thanks to Joe Biden.  

AFAIK, the Laws/Regs are still on the books, but seldom enforced in the past.  OTOH, Firearms owner is still legally required to comply with the existing laws/regs.  IIRC, there have been rare individuals charged with 922(R) violations, but usually in conjunction with other, more serious, charges.

When I was (reversibly) modifying my TULA SKS (Curio and Relic status), I made certain that I found and bought correct parts to over-comply with 922(R) regs.  Was difficult to find all the parts I needed, but my modified SKS is legally compliant, and easily reversible back to original C+R status if desired.

The (now-defunct) Tapco people used to be the go-to source of many "compliance" parts, but there were other mfrs.  Such "compliance" parts were hard to find just last summer, and probably scarcer now.  Would not surprise me to find prices have gone up since then.

I hope I'm wrong about this increased scrutiny of 922(R) compliance, but I hoped for the best, and planned for the worst.  Looks like the "Worst" might be coming.

Suggest each and every owner of a firearm that is subject to 922(r) compliance Laws/Regs takes avery close look at their firearm, and take the appropriate measures to ensure their firearm is compliant with existing Laws/Regs.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#4]
well I have found that all those stocks and 10 round box mags that people took off  have disappeared.
I would say the majority of SKS's I have seen for sale on local sites are in  poly black stocks or folders... none of them are sporting the bayo or the 10 round factory mag... so where are they all?   Chinese stocks on e-bay or gunbroker are well over $100 and I have only seen a few factory mags and they are $159

my search goes on,  I have contacted a few good friends who set up at gunshows... they too are looking for me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
well I have found that all those stocks and 10 round box mags that people took off  have disappeared.
I would say the majority of SKS's I have seen for sale on local sites are in  poly black stocks or folders... none of them are sporting the bayo or the 10 round factory mag... so where are they all?   Chinese stocks on e-bay or gunbroker are well over $100 and I have only seen a few factory mags and they are $159

my search goes on,  I have contacted a few good friends who set up at gunshows... they too are looking for me.
View Quote
Try here: https://www.buymilsurp.com/sks-rifle-parts-accessories-c-6.html    

Or here: https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=107

Or here: https://www.clearviewinvest.com/sks.aspx
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks guys... less than $150 total I found most of the parts right here ..I placed a WTB ad in the EE. some great folks stepped up. just waiting on a cleaning rod and it's back to a traditional SKS.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Looking good!  You'll probably want an OEM sling, if you don't already have one.  Do you have the cleaning kit capsule that goes in the buttstock?

May I suggest that you go to this site and really look around: https://murraysguns.com/

He offers many services and products for SKS owners, as well as some essential DIY instructions on how to fix some common problems, like the "Volcano Cone" on the face of the bolt.--find that under "Popped Primers" tab.

He did an excellent trigger job on my Russki Tula.  As-requested, he sent back part that was out-of-spec, so I can return it to OEM, if desired.  MUCH better than OEM.

Disclaimer: no financial interest.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top