Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2019 11:06:53 PM EDT
I'm having trouble (everything is blurry) distinguishing the front sight from the curved walls on either side of it and also from the rear sight on my Century Arms Romanian GP WASR 10. Before I go to the trouble of installing different sights, I would like to try painting the front sight a bright orange color to help my eye distinguish it from the rear sight and front sight walls (sight hood?? I'm sorry I don't know the proper term)
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you wear glasses?

Might look into a Krebs Custom Peep Sight. Peeps sights are good for older eyes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By drobs:
Do you wear glasses?

Might look into a Krebs Custom Peep Sight. Peeps sights are good for older eyes.
View Quote
I do and if the paint idea (I wonder if nail polish will work?) doesn't work, a peep sight is what I'll do next. I like the aperture on my Tavor.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#3]
plain ol' enamel paint has held up fine for me. both testors hobby paint and rustoleum enamel.

I'd clean the post first with either some alcohol or mineral spirits. I do a 'two tone', paint the top half of the post in white then the tip in a hi viz color. Since most of my targets have a red center I use a bright yellow over a bright orange. I also put the rifle in a gun vise upside down so if you get too much on it the excess runs off rather than bleeding down the post.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Your not going blind, the sights are terrible but there are a number of fixes available. I had the same problem with mine so I took a triangle file and made a notch in the rear sight, center of top grove. I painted that notch with flat white paint using a needle. Now when I look at the rear sight, the front sight picture is much better. Still not perfect but a lot better than before. The best solution is to just go to a red dot.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:34:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#5]
Go to the Dollar store and try on $1.00 readers until you can clearly see your swirls of your fingerprint with your arm extended as far as you can.

Those are now your "close range glasses".

Buy two steps weaker as back up glasses when you want to shoot past 50 yards.

As we age our eyes lose the ability to focus from close to far. Cheater glasses will allow you to see the front sight perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:39:51 AM EDT
[#6]
BTW - buying a railed gas tube (Ultimak or similar)and a handgun scope mounted as low as possible is night and day better than irons.

A red dot sight is almost as good. Glasses that allow me to see perfectly at long range work perfect when using optics.

Scopes have +/- 2.5 to 3.0 for focusing the crosshairs.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top