Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/28/2020 11:17:16 PM EDT
my 74 was been running like a top, but today went out and it would not go into battery. had to go use my foot to get it to extract. it happened with 4 different mags and 3 different brands of ammo. I have a ton of 7n6 but haven't shot it in years. everything I have shot has been non corrosive. I took it apart and the round will go in about 80% of the way and stop.
the bore looks shiny and clean. Im completely baffled.i shot it a week ago and it was fine.

anyone have a idea?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:49:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Check for a partial case separation in the chamber.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:23:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jaytee450] [#2]
I'm able to get a cleaning rod down the barrel amd I dont see anything looking down the bore. I'll see if I can get a pic to load." />

That's as far as the round will go.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:09:39 AM EDT
[#3]
look at the rail right side. looks like a piece of metal partially sheared? maybe causing issues?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Circuits:
Check for a partial case separation in the chamber.
View Quote

This, especially after looking at the picture.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok. I have taken everything a part, the chamber is clear. I tried to run a mag through it and it would hang up every 5th or 6th round. I tried different mags even pmags. I tried monarch wolf, red army standard ,even, 7n6. does same shit. Will hang up partially seated in the chamber, clear and 5 or 6 later same thing. Im out of my realm of knowledge. please help
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jaytee450:
Ok. I have taken everything a part, the chamber is clear. I tried to run a mag through it and it would hang up every 5th or 6th round. I tried different mags even pmags. I tried monarch wolf, red army standard ,even, 7n6. does same shit. Will hang up partially seated in the chamber, clear and 5 or 6 later same thing. Im out of my realm of knowledge. please help
View Quote

If there's not an obstruction (that you can see by eye, I guess?) in the chamber, then you may have picked up a nick or burr in the chamber or throat area somehow.

The rounds didn't suddenly get longer, something happened to the chamber, IMO.

A careful inspection with a borescope, perhaps even a magnifying borescope, or a chamber cast may reveal some information, but *something* in the chamber is causing the rounds to hang up.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top