Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/1/2023 10:37:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DoorKicker]
Recently I have had a renued intrest in the AK. Specifically in AK mags.

In my searching, I found several videos featuring the quad stack 7.62 mags working flawlessly.  I also saw the opposite.
The results are all over the place, but the one thing that peaked my intrest was the gang banger videos that seemed to have it figured out for some reason.  I figured if they can get it to work, surely I can???

The prices on the quad stack mags have come down, and I was able to get a Schmeisser from PSA for about $30 bucks, and I found an AC Unity quad mag @ GunMagWarehouse for $50 so I figured I would give them a try.

The reviews all seem to agree that a break in is required for best results so I have loaded the Schmeisser with 60 rounds (With Lula's help) and I will let it sit for several weeks before I take it to the range.

I may unload and reload a few times during that period as well...

I'll do the same once the AC Unity arrives from GunMagWarehouse (That crappy PSA shipping was so fast AGAIN)

I have to admit, the Polenar Tactical review of the Schmeisser pushed me over the top.  It was so funny...

And NO, I won't be stomping on or driving over these mags, just checking for function.

So what have your results been?
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagging for future results, appreciate you guinea-pigging 'em!

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#2]
The AC Unity quad stack showed up yesterday.  Tried to load it but could only get 57 rounds loaded.  Maybe after break in all 60 will fit?

I'll report back when I take them out to the range.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I have un-loaded and loaded both quad stack magazines several times now and it is getting easier to do.  I still need the assistance of a loader, but I can get about half loaded by hand.

I was also able to get all 60 rounds into the AC Unity mag.  I actually got 62 rounds on accident once...

I am starting to loose confidence in the AC Unity mag because of the way rounds seem to flop around loose inside the magazine.  Also on one of the un-loads the rounds got stuck mid way down, but that may not happen during normal opperation???  I'll wait until test fire to make the final determination.

I am also going to lubricate the inside of the mag bodies before the final reload. I saw that mentioned in several of the YT videos, and may help with the rounds getting stuck.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
if the rounds are flopping around then the spring is cocked inside and the mag will not feed , im un familiar with that brand
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#5]
i thought i bought some AK 60's , but i checked they are 5.56 , i know the german made ones work well schmeisser
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#6]
well I finally get to the range with my 60 round double stack mags and they actually worked great.

I originally thought they were crap because I first tried them in my new PSAK-103K, but turns out the problem was with the rifle, not the mags.

Switched to a different rifle and they and they ran great.

I re-loaded each mag two more times for a total of 180 rounds each.

I can honestly say I am impressed.  The mags are much easier to load, but still need the assistance of a loader.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:07:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DoorKicker] [#8]
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top