Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/21/2021 3:29:41 PM EDT
I just inherited a MAK-90 from my late father-in-law. He still had the thumbhole stock on it. I want to put a standard wooden stock on it without spending $300 on an ironwood stock set. Any recommendations as to which country's stock is the closest fit. Possible to find a chinese stock these days?
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It it stamped?      I’m pretty sure you can make any stock fit.   You might have to shave the stub down a little, as the receiver metal is slightly thicker.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
It's just a standard stock that fits, right?

Any old surplus set, I think, will work. If you want beautiful wood talk to Soviet Stocks.

BTW, Ironwood is no longer. Matt passed away not long ago. It sucks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#3]
When you replace the stock, 922-R will apply, so plan on replacing some more parts with US made.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you replace the stock, 922-R will apply, so plan on replacing some more parts with US made.
View Quote

How many times have you seen 922r be enforced? It is quite literally unenforceable. With all the clones and copies and whatever it would be extremely difficult to prove something was not made in the US. Even many of the metals we make gun parts from isn't even from the US!

Now, I'm not saying to break all the laws.

Use whatever stock you prefer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I used a Desert Fox Outfitters slant cut MAK90 adapter, A2 extension tube with Hogue fixed rifle stock. Very pleased with the results.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I put a bonesteel folder on mine. Easy to install
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
We'd need to know about your receiver to make a recommendation.

Above receiver is stamped and slanted at the rear. Some are straight (like a normal AK).
Some were milled receivers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How many times have you seen 922r be enforced? It is quite literally unenforceable. With all the clones and copies and whatever it would be extremely difficult to prove something was not made in the US. Even many of the metals we make gun parts from isn't even from the US!
View Quote
It's even more difficult to prosecute than that...

The state would have to prove you assembled it.
It doesn't matter if something is possessed without regard to 922(r) rules unless you're the individual who assembled it that way.

Also if you're the government (including LE) and you assembled (or had it assembled) for official use, it's exempted from 922(r) by 925.

The burden of proof is on the government to prove otherwise. It's so difficult, they rarely attempt it.
I don't actually know of a prosecution that was argued in court, so I assume most were plea deals (as an add-on charge).
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:05:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We'd need to know about your receiver to make a recommendation.

Above receiver is stamped and slanted at the rear. Some are straight (like a normal AK).
Some were milled receivers.
View Quote

I forgot to add that tidbit. Its a stamped straight back receiver
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 1:22:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Go full deban with original furniture and bayonet. Your Communist Chinese AK deserves it...

My debanned MAK-90 (and 922 compliant)
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Please don't go off topic with any more 922 stuff in this wood stock thread.

If you wish to discuss 922, start a thread and have at it.
View Quote

I was just putting it out there.

And I have two MAK-90's
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Go full deban with original furniture and bayonet. Your Communist Chinese AK deserves it...
View Quote
That'd be my recommendation too (even if you don't alter the front end).
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Just FYI, Desert Fox also makes an adapter for straight cut MAK90 receivers too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Stamped straight cut means any stock / handguards will fit, but with some fitting due to the thicker steel in the receiver.  I have a K-var black polymer set on mine.  Probably 20 minutes with a milling bit on a dremel / file / sandpaper is all it took.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's just a standard stock that fits, right?

Any old surplus set, I think, will work. If you want beautiful wood talk to Soviet Stocks.

BTW, Ironwood is no longer. Matt passed away not long ago. It sucks.
View Quote

Wow that really sucks about Matt at Ironwood. I'm on the other side of the country but have his stocks on my MAK90's. Excellent product he made.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top