Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/12/2023 4:11:34 AM EDT
Hello all I've been considering a Zastava m90 as I'm wanting an AK but don't want to reinvest in a different caliber as I have nearly 8k in 5.56. I'm considering the Zastava because they are fairly affordable at around $1100 but I would prefer a shorter barrel. If I was feeling froggy and wanted to get my barrel chopped down to 14.5-16" would it be possible to retain front iron and send it off to get cut down and rethreaded? Also where would be good place to send it if that would be the route I went?
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
Hello all I've been considering a Zastava m90 as I'm wanting an AK but don't want to reinvest in a different caliber as I have nearly 8k in 5.56. I'm considering the Zastava because they are fairly affordable at around $1100 but I would prefer a shorter barrel. If I was feeling froggy and wanted to get my barrel chopped down to 14.5-16" would it be possible to retain front iron and send it off to get cut down and rethreaded? Also where would be good place to send it if that would be the route I went?
View Quote

You could wait until the WBP 16” 5.56 rifles arrive in a month or so, those are AKM based and not Yugo pattern is the major difference outside of barrel length
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I've considered getting mine chopped too.  I'm sure there's at least a couple on here that could share their experiences.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AZ5326X2:
I've considered getting mine chopped too.  I'm sure there's at least a couple on here that could share their experiences.
View Quote

I am thinking of doing the same, there is no reason for the OEM barrel length.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By R0N:

I am thinking of doing the same, there is no reason for the OEM barrel length.
View Quote

It was originally designed in the 1970’s when everyone was wanting that greasy velocity out of 5.56
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Someone on Reddit asked this question and Zastava responded that while you could do it, it would definitely take some experimenting and and gas port adjustments.  Honestly, I would just keep the 18” and use another rifle for that or get a 16” factory gun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By wally05:
Someone on Reddit asked this question and Zastava responded that while you could do it, it would definitely take some experimenting and and gas port adjustments.  Honestly, I would just keep the 18” and use another rifle for that or get a 16” factory gun.
View Quote

Leaning toward this.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I for one love the 18" barrel length.

Really let's the 5.56 show off some impressive performance compared to shorter lengths.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#9]
i am a long time m90 np owner & remember seeing plenty of 5.56 zastavas cut down to 16" on akfiles, back when you could get the battlefield pick up furniture with trench art (or spice girls stickers) from Apex.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 7:37:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ5326X2] [#10]
Attachment Attached File

Glad I got it chopped.  Have around 300 since the chop.  Setting one failed to pick up a fresh round once in three mags, so setting 2 seems perfect.  I'll save setting 3 for "adverse."
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top